SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

RTR...not sure about , but it is dead easy to make Rich. Bit of Architrave off-cut, strip of Plasticard about 0.75mm and almost as long as the longest coach side (eg 280mm), set of Allen Head bolts with keeper thingies from Cornwall Model Boats. Set up by taking a brass side and marking where the top edge would be placed on the wood to ensure the bottom part of the side gets shaped around the 'curve' of the wood; Plasticard needs to be glued dead parallel of course. You could be  clever in some way to make that Plasticard 'edge' more versatile but I have done Gresleys, Maunsells, various GWR Diagrams and some Midland sides with just the one position. What sides are your TPOs?

Phil

Soldering, plasticard or working with laser cut components I am fine with, making something with wood that requires drilling etc and it always goes to pot.  Still, I will see what I can find materials wise and give it a go...

TPO is with Hammond sides i think, at least for the 5 coaches I have so far.  The sixth would be Bill Bedford should they eventually appear.  Though there are also a good few items in the Worsley range that are on the to do list eventually (not to mention I have a habbit of buying old non formed Comet sides from ebay...) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of kit there Ducky.

As it happens I wish to register acomplaint. Some of your ducky colleagues conspired to wake me up this morning at some unearthly hour. Can you explain to ducksoftheworld.com waking me up can have serious consequences.

For your info..they were blue ducks.

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

As it happens I wish to register acomplaint. Some of your ducky colleagues conspired to wake me up this morning at some unearthly hour. Can you explain to ducksoftheworld.com waking me up can have serious consequences.

Baz

Bit of old wood found in a scrap box, bit of Plassicard, big on angle dangle, couple of wings and nuts, some swearing whilst measuring and not finding drill and lo it was made. Better Bolts and keeper 'nuts' from Cornwall should be here tomorrow. It works!

It worked before, but needed some masking tape for taping the side in place, another bit of wood to clamp over the taped side and then three hands to make it work.  

Blue Ducks? They must be very cold or have swum in dye or be from some Tory's expensive pond and on expenses House for his specially coloured for election purposes, fowls.

No Blue Ducks in this part of the world and flying at night is rare for Ducks. Geese yes, but no Blue Geese either! Sorry about that. Had you been on the lash or smoking something unusual?

Could it have been Aliens or Amazon Drones?

B.Oddie. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Northroader said:

It says they’re endemic to New Zealand, so you won’t see them in your hide, me old lepidopterist.

Especially if he's looking for butterflies.  :mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Oh, so you are still over there. I'd stay mate, it smells of 'no need to worry' attitudes over here. Loud blue Ducks are preferable to silent, virus carrying humans and confusing statements from too many sources.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst being a complete k##b and still self isolating (5 days to go) I have been busy.

Yesterday I discovered that 4 Standard Class 2 tanks 20/21/22/23 were transferred to 72A from May to September 1961 and one at least was used on the Lyme Branch. I know I've seen a pic of one somewhere else too, apart from the Flicker/FB one of 84022 on 72A.  Fun during discussion was that an old boy from Exeter, who had been a Shed 'Turner' at the time, says he never ever saw one at 72A! He must be forgiven though as he must be really old as he remembers the big Fairburn Tanks, I think it was, that came down in 1951.

Today I have been mainly doing these; Mousa Models, Maunsell D2666 Buffet Diners.

These are the ones I was shaping a few days back, using my modified bender (no sniggering). 

20200303_164136-1.jpg.1c8c1066a2c278d2fb1988b60b195d30.jpg

Not a good pic as I used my Phone and I think I was shaking a bit. Inset doors top left and bottom right. That was a soldering overlap job.

Droplights soldered in place.

Holes drilled for 'inges, 'andles, Grabs and Bumpers. Bill B provides slots for 'inges and that is useful, however it makes it a little more 'testing to ensure that when you drill a hole for the  'inges I use (Frogmores), it goes in the 'correct' part of the slot as chosen for this coach and you do the same positions for all on a side. Doesn't matter too much about the other side but it's worth bothering trying to get the same positions there too.

Two opening 'public' doors on top side, left and centre. Only central opening 'public' door on the bottom side. I need to double check this last bit about 'Staff/Emergency' doors, in my SR Coaches Book and may have to fill in some hinge holes as I didn't check before I drilled them...doh!  I rather like these sides and will be fitting them to a butchered Hornby Maunsell donor, (one of a few I have that are a bit knackered). I've actally got a photo' of one of these on an Up Express in summer 1962 (last year of use AFAIK).

Another identical set to do next.

I've also still got three untouched/as they came sets of D2659s. Not sure if I need three now and will be checking those for use, part use, or moving on.

Such fun.

P

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1