SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info so far chaps. My first bit of 'cuttingg, where the Refuge Siding is, was made from polystyrene and paper roll, some plaster's mesh tape and with Polyfilla type plaster. The big cutting, leading up to the Hungry Caterpillar, was done with the great help of Graham of Grantham and I used sculptor's fine mesh on Plywood 'buttresses' (stapled and hot glued). I have been postponing the plaster bandage for ages as I have not done that before, but as it is now warm up The Junction I might just collect together the materials and have a go. In a for a penny etc. I might use a mix of methods and see which works best before doing the whole thing.

I will do some pics as I go just to show off.

ATB for now.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 19:15, Mallard60022 said:

Also, as Rob on ANTB has asked, so shall I. Recommendations for decent material(s) for typical cutting and embankment scenic toppings. I shall probably be using plaster bandage or similar as the base-work. I have got and considered using Teddy Bear Fur but that will need the clippers for 'mowing'.  Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes to you all.

Phil

I was going to recommend the meadow sheets as sold by Green Scene as a base but looking for a link it seems they've been discontinued.:mellow: They were useful for covering an area as a base of green before detailing and depth etc.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been in isolation since early March due what could have been a 'contact' at that time. It did not materialise thank God. Anyway, it has taken this long to get my arse up in the loft and actually do something on the layout. Yes, actual work. It was nothing startling, just some woodwork and a bit of cardboard shaping that will be completely hidden when all is finished. This included a bit of technical work in making a cardboard footprint of the Signal Box, so that I could see where it will be 'planted' in the Platforms 2 and 3 surface, as it was built beautifully by Gravy Train to sit on the baseboard top and protrude through the Platform with the steps sitting on the Platform surface.

I also 'planted' a Buffer Stop at the top end of the Incline Refuge Siding.

I have been faffing with a few kits the last few weeks, but that was pure procrastination due to the state of my head at that time.

Is this progress?

Phil 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Well, that looks impressive to moi dear lightly fried rodent. Reminds me a little of Exmouth back in the day. Love the Canopy; I am looking forward to making the rather crude ones for SOSJ.

Getting 'lost' has taken me over 6 weeks mate. Yesterday's burst of activity followed two sessions of Mindful Breathing exercises (not being flippant here mate; serious breathing and anchoring activity). Then I was only up there for an hour; is that 'eating the Elephant'?

PM me if you want to chat about the 'anchoring'.

Take care dear boy,

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Where's the Duckmeister ?  Hope he's ok.

He was watching birds with me earlier.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, been playing with kits and accumulating Scenic Materials ready for a 'test area' to be started to see what it looks like.

One if the Kits I started ages ago has been getting some work done to it. The DJH H15 Needs a lot of fettling as it is using original parts like the slide bars, rather than posh Markits ones. It isn't an essential runner and might just go motorless and be hauled 'dead' towards Eastleigh for scrapping? That will save me having to do the full Valve Gear job, save a motor and gearbox and a Decoder :heat::diablo_mini:

20200507_141214.jpg.5e71faeb5c30500ab98c05e3272fa509.jpg.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

The DJH H15 Needs a lot of fettling as it is using original parts like the slide bars, rather than posh Markits ones. It isn't an essential runner and might just go motorless and be hauled 'dead' towards Eastleigh for scrapping? That will save me having to do the full Valve Gear job, save a motor and gearbox and a Decoder

20200507_141214.jpg.5e71faeb5c30500ab98c05e3272fa509.jpg

That's a super job you've made of that, Señor del Pato del Gran Lago de la Costa Bebida.

After all that work, it would be such a shame to relegate it to a mere scenic feature.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

That's a super job you've made of that, Señor del Pato del Gran Lago de la Costa Bebida.

After all that work, it would be such a shame to relegate it to a mere scenic feature.

Cheers CK but I don't think I CBA to do the Wallcharts and all that wiggly stuff or waste motor/gearbox/Decoder for  something I don't really need.

Layzee Ar$£.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Wallcharts!

Took me a while to work that out. I've heard that proper planning prevents poor performance (the 6 P's*), but that's taking it to the extreme. 

*The 6th P is silent in polite company.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

20200507_160002.jpg.f33d043b4a9336f1b08983fae54d716f.jpg

Slightly unfortunate position of waste pipes.

Is that 'cos you've been lying like Pinn okey-kokey?

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Cheers CK but I don't think I CBA to do the Wallcharts and all that wiggly stuff or waste motor/gearbox/Decoder for  something I don't really need.

Layzee Ar$£.

I love doing wall charts! Can we do some equestrian trading?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Is that 'cos you've been lying like Pinn okey-kokey?

I was  trying to see how many fingers I was holding up after imbibing Brandy for Breakfast. The Photographer didn't check for pipes.

53 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I love doing wall charts! Can we do some equestrian trading?

That's really kind, however if it is to be towed 'dead' then the Wallcharts would have been dismantled. Yet to decide what will be the end product though so Nagging will possibly happen.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1