SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Don't you just hate that!  A tiny meat portion along with a few veggies and swirls of a sauce mixture all over the plate - $50 or so, forget the wine plus a tip!  You don't get out for less than $160 or Pounds.

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sod all that pretentious goremate stuff. Good old belly busting GF Curry for a tenner. I can even get GF fish (large) and chips (too many) + mushies, up here for less than £8.00

I can get a decent GF pizza at Morrisons for £3.50. Same size from some delivery place (no guarantee it will be uncontaminated with nasty gluten stuff either) is about £8.00. Load of bo##ocks. 

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I went to a posh restaurant and I had to look closely at the plate too see the food,  I think it would be hard pushed to cover a saucer. I could count the chips on the fingers of one hand and still have spare. I had to go to the chippy afterwards to fill up along with about 3/4 of the group I was with,  before hitting the pub.

There are one or two places around here that are like that. If I dare I would take my magnifying glass, but only if someone else was paying for the meagre pieces of dangly stuff with whizzy sauce squirted on it.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Culinary excellence cannot express itself by mere aesthetics, darlings, it's a conceptual artifice that merges light and theoretical notions of form with an overwhelming preconception towards contextual but ultimately ambiguous collaborative duality.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I went to a posh restaurant once and the waiter said, " I trust you enjoyed that sir, how did you find your steak?" I replied, " quite by accident really, I turned a chip over and there it was!"

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Culinary excellence cannot express itself by mere aesthetics, darlings, it's a conceptual artifice that merges light and theoretical notions of form with an overwhelming preconception towards contextual but ultimately ambiguous collaborative duality.

What is actually a bit worrying is the following admission, that I didn't need to access Pixmaven to write that.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

As I said earlier, if your paying I am happy to eat anywhere.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

There are one or two places around here that are like that. If I dare I would take my magnifying glass, but only if someone else was paying for the meagre pieces of dangly stuff with whizzy sauce squirted on it.

P

Well that is your posh restaurants for you. Nothing better than and Eel and Pie shop, two pies double mash, plenty of liquor and with a good dose of chili vinegar, eaten with a spoon and fork. Proper eating places.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 14/05/2019 at 20:39, New Haven Neil said:

Carnforth had a French compound pacific, a German 3 cylinder pacific (03?) and a German 06-0 tank in the 70's. So why not a Big Boy  Y6B? The Riva ones do go around silly curves too, or they used to.  The engines are both pivoted IIRC, not like the real thing where the read engine is rigid to the boiler.

I was lucky enough, when I had money and prices were not sky high!!!! Purchased a Broadway N&W A Class!!!! She appears in Manchester on a train of Bachmann steel wagons!!!

My motto, I just do not care!!!!!!

I must get a fitted train of American stock for her to haul!!! Lord an Lady.....I'm starting again!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, rilksy said:

I went to a posh restaurant once and the waiter said, " I trust you enjoyed that sir, how did you find your steak?" I replied, " quite by accident really, I turned a chip over and there it was!"

Sorry.

Night of my final Finals paper, I was asked by the waiter in the restaurant how I’d like my steak: “on the plate” I suggested.  I may not have been 100% sober...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well that is your posh restaurants for you. Nothing better than and Eel and Pie shop, two pies double mash, plenty of liquor and with a good dose of chili vinegar, eaten with a spoon and fork. Proper eating places.  

Chili vinegar? Sounds a bit lah-di-dah. What's wrong with Sarson's?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Night of my final Finals paper, I was asked by the waiter in the restaurant how I’d like my steak: “on the plate” I suggested.  I may not have been 100% sober...

Someone I knew, who liked his steak very rare, would answer that question with "Just wipe its @r$e and put it on the plate".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Chili vinegar? Sounds a bit lah-di-dah. What's wrong with Sarson's?

Cor, how uneducated........vinegar with chili's in it, that's what you splash over your pies and the liquor. Very tasty.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Someone I knew, who liked his steak very rare, would answer that question with "Just wipe its @r$e and put it on the plate".

If that was served to me I would get the defib out and revive the poor blighter. Can't stand my meat looking slightly pink, it has to be properly cooked.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/05/2019 at 17:47, Captain Kernow said:

Abosolutely right. Shrimp paste sandwiches and a bottle of Tizer served from a duffle bag at the end of Platform 9 at Kings Cross seasoned with a bit of soot or a few diesel smuts has rarely been bettered by the hoity-toity Jamie Oliver’s Of this world. 

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2019 at 22:47, Captain Kernow said:

That will be what all those "deconstructed" dishes on Masterchef are about then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jazzer said:

Abosolutely right. Shrimp paste sandwiches and a bottle of Tizer served from a duffle bag at the end of Platform 9 at Kings Cross seasoned with a bit of soot or a few diesel smuts has rarely been bettered by the hoity-toity Jamie Oliver’s Of this world. 

Lettuce and Salad Cream Sandwiches and Individual Fruit Pies consumed whilst sitting on the Hydrant wheel of the Water Crane at the end of the main Up Platform at Exeter Central, Summers 1960/61 and '62.....and a bit of '63.

Those hazy, crazy days before young women destroyed my interest in trains. Fortunately I soon recovered from that around 1969!

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
Can't spell or stay awake.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lettuce and Salad Cream Sandwiches and Individual Fruit Pies consumed whilst sitting on the Hydrant wheel of the Water Crane at the end of the main Up Platform at Exeter Central, Summers 1960/61 and '62.....and a bit of '63.

Those hazy, crazy days before young women destroyed my interest in trains. Fortunately I soon recovered from that around 1969!

Ar$£

Who remembers Heinz Sandwich Spread? And Lyons' individual Swiss rolls?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Who remembers Heinz Sandwich Spread? And Lyons' individual Swiss rolls?

I found some Sandwich Spread in the recent past and it tasted just the same as always.  For a simple meal in wartime conditions,, I remember ketchup sandwiches and that was all there was to it - tomato sauce!:(

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

I found some Sandwich Spread in the recent past and it tasted just the same as always.  For a simple meal in wartime conditions,, I remember ketchup sandwiches and that was all there was to it - tomato sauce!:(

Brian.

My brother liked tomato sauce with pretty well everything.

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, so, when he got married, I presented his new wife with an enormous bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup so that she would know how to keep him happy.

• Funny 1