SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Apologies for straying slightly OT but, enjoying the thread on refreshments above, I saw mention of a duffle bag and 'bing'ed it only to find that modern equivalents seem to be anything but. Not even straps on most to carry over the shoulder, let alone the drawstrings of years ago... Much damage to the shoulder years ago due to overloaded duffel bags - paste (crab or salmon by preference) sarnies, bottle of orange squash or flask of tea, and the real damage done by the heavyweight Prinz binoculars. The duffle bag era was superseded by that of the the vinyl Adidas sports bag - easier on the top of the shoulder but still a weight to lug around as by then another heavyweight piece of kit in the shape of a Praktika camera had joined the toolkit

Steve

Regards

Steve A

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, stevea said:

Apologies for straying slightly OT but, enjoying the thread on refreshments above, I saw mention of a duffle bag and 'bing'ed it only to find that modern equivalents seem to be anything but. Not even straps on most to carry over the shoulder, let alone the drawstrings of years ago... Much damage to the shoulder years ago due to overloaded duffel bags - paste (crab or salmon by preference) sarnies, bottle of orange squash or flask of tea, and the real damage done by the heavyweight Prinz binoculars. The duffle bag era was superseded by that of the the vinyl Adidas sports bag - easier on the top of the shoulder but still a weight to lug around as by then another heavyweight piece of kit in the shape of a Praktika camera had joined the toolkit

Steve

Regards

Steve A

Being younger I never had a duffle bag when spotting, I was of the sports bag generation. Not that many trainspotters were very sports minded. Aren't nerdy kids lucky these days in having computers so they don't have to pretend they like sports.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Unfortunately as a kid I was 'blessed' with asthma so didn't really enjoy many sports except possibly football on a good day, or cricket, but that wasn't allowed to be a cop out as we were sent out on cross-country runs anyway whatever our affliction. The only highlight of cross country runs was the stretch alongside the railway line when there was a possibility of sighting the Louth freight. Neil B nearly got caught out one day when he thought it would be easier to run along the railway line than the path along the top of the cutting. Despite several people warning him of the approach of a train, he refused to believe us until the driver of the class 20 gave a toot. He moved pretty sharpish then!

The only computers we had access to back then (at school) were relatively primitive, with input being by punched paper rolls, but I remember us writing a program which simulated (in text, not graphics) driving an underground train between two stations and having to apply power and  brakes in numbered notches in time to accelerate away and stop at the next station. Certainly nothing resembling personal computers...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jazzer said:

I know , I was being facetious. I can’t remember what I had half the time. I was in the Loco Spotters club for a while and we used to be out all day, starting from Stratford and getting well out the other side of London, to places like Reading getting back late at night and  I can’t remember even having anything to eat, far less remember what it was.  One thing my memory has been jogged on was a few trips to Southend behind steam , straight out  Southend Central into the Rossi’s ice cream parlour, for a cornet that seemed to keep me going the rest of the day. Only just remembered that, thanks to this thread ! 

Met Francis a couple of weeks back and also just before Live Aid. He is thin and was then too. Didn't consume too may of the family's product.

P

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It is with huge regret that I have to announce that yesterday I actually did some modelling. Actually that is a very large fib as it was a friend that was actually doing proper modelling whilst I just picked up a partly completed, Southern Pride (with brass sides) Mk 1 D25.

It got examined for a while to remind me what I had been doing with it and then rather a lot of Parkin checking went on. Then the roof plan was cut out from the destructions sheet and taped to the roof of the coach, some holes were drilled and part drilled, the plan was removed and three WM, Vent-Axia Extraction Fans were fettled and fitted with Evostick.

Phew, that was exhausting. I thought I did not have enough Plastic 'Kitchen Vents' (little plastic mouldings) as I could only find one on the parts sprue, however I found a bag of roof fittings for this kit this morning and lo, the 5 vents were there. Hoorah!

I really need to reorganise my little stash of ongoing coach builds and my work/tool/ materials containers.

SWMBO has not suggested that the Conservatory needs tidying again and so work may progress on this little project within the next year.

That is all.

P

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony. What a great shot and a proper train; both the service, 7 car sets by the look of it. Isn't it great when they can do this at 21.30ish.  Pity the weather was so awful down there yesterday but seems they got away with it on Saturday.

Could you post that on A Nod to Brent as well please?

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 02:59, jazzer said:

I know , I was being facetious. I can’t remember what I had half the time. I was in the Loco Spotters club for a while and we used to be out all day, starting from Stratford and getting well out the other side of London, to places like Reading getting back late at night and  I can’t remember even having anything to eat, far less remember what it was.  One thing my memory has been jogged on was a few trips to Southend behind steam , straight out  Southend Central into the Rossi’s ice cream parlour, for a cornet that seemed to keep me going the rest of the day. Only just remembered that, thanks to this thread ! 

Hi Jazzer ,

just found this thread, which I don't mean to hijack, but am wondering if you kept records of your days out to the west of London?

I am interested in any details of operations in the Slough-Reading area 1960-1963. So any details of engines or stock (passenger, parcels or goods) on particular trains would be useful. If you respond positively then I will start a new thread in the Prototype Operation section of RM Web.

Sorry, cant remember what I ate or drank on my 60s spotting trips, mainly to Hitchin, Leighton Buzzard and occasionally Denham!

Cheers

Paul 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Tony. What a great shot and a proper train; both the service, 7 car sets by the look of it. Isn't it great when they can do this at 21.30ish.  Pity the weather was so awful down there yesterday but seems they got away with it on Saturday.

Could you post that on A Nod to Brent as well please?

ATB

Phil

Is that JA on the platform about to say, "Daddy, my daddy"?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

I wondered why it had all gone so quiet up the Junction - You Ok Phil?

Done bu##er all that's the situation dearest Smiffy. I'm OK except for crock leg preventing much ascension up  The Junction at the moment.

Hope you OK in sunny Sussex?

P

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Done bu##er all that's the situation dearest Smiffy. I'm OK except for crock leg preventing much ascension up  The Junction at the moment.

P

Shirley,  a duck doesn't need legs to ascend,  I always thought they used wings!

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Jazzer ,

just found this thread, which I don't mean to hijack, but am wondering if you kept records of your days out to the west of London?

I am interested in any details of operations in the Slough-Reading area 1960-1963. So any details of engines or stock (passenger, parcels or goods) on particular trains would be useful. If you respond positively then I will start a new thread in the Prototype Operation section of RM Web.

Sorry, cant remember what I ate or drank on my 60s spotting trips, mainly to Hitchin, Leighton Buzzard and occasionally Denham!

Cheers

Paul 

No ,  I am afraid not . The age Inwas then I hardly thought beyond writing numbers down in notebooks. All I have left is one notebook and one Ian Allen Combined Volume underlined in the usual way . I only went that far out about twice, before my parents decided it was too far and I was getting home too late .   So most of my western Region spotting was limited to Paddington except for a trip to Swindon works with the school Railway Society.  Sorry, I really wish I could be of more help.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jazzer said:

No ,  I am afraid not . The age Inwas then I hardly thought beyond writing numbers down in notebooks. All I have left is one notebook and one Ian Allen Combined Volume underlined in the usual way . I only went that far out about twice, before my parents decided it was too far and I was getting home too late .   So most of my western Region spotting was limited to Paddington except for a trip to Swindon works with the school Railway Society.  Sorry, I really wish I could be of more help.

I remember the scorn with which anyone that scored through a number, rather than underlining it, was considered. Bad form! I look at my collection of Notebooks and actual Locolog Books and think, why TF didn't I write down more info like dates and where I was on journeys or shed bashes etc. Doh!

However, in a couple of Locolog Books I actually wrote down some SR Coach Set numbers (mainly seen at Exeter and Plymuff) and some numbers of wagons/vans on Goods trains (almost all Plymuff) but not the train formations; too complex. The Coach Set numbers have been useful for me as I will try to replicate sets I actually saw if appropriate.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Well not so much sunny as thoroughly bedraggled!

SWMBO has been getting my help with her hobby- gardening.

IMHO the best description of this is ‘the eternal hope that optimism will overcome Nature’

at least I get to play with machines though!

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I remember the scorn with which anyone that scored through a number, rather than underlining it, was considered. Bad form! I look at my collection of Notebooks and actual Locolog Books and think, why TF didn't I write down more info like dates and where I was on journeys or shed bashes etc. Doh!

However, in a couple of Locolog Books I actually wrote down some SR Coach Set numbers (mainly seen at Exeter and Plymuff) and some numbers of wagons/vans on Goods trains (almost all Plymuff) but not the train formations; too complex. The Coach Set numbers have been useful for me as I will try to replicate sets I actually saw if appropriate.

P

Having locospotted from an early age, I was only interested in engines and before I discovered ABCs, I only wrote names and numbers in an exercise book.  Much too early for such niceties as cameras although I tried with my folks Box Brownie without much success; the pictures were always too dark or fuzzy.  In 1951, I bought my first combined volume ( which I still have, dragged over here for sentimental reasons) and even underlined the names and numbers in the appropriate colour ink!  Over the years, I finally got a decent camera but pictures still came out dark and fuzzy, although maybe not so often:blush:

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1