SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Emergency alert. The weather was so beautiful today that I drugged myself and went up The Junction to sort out some stuff.

First the bad news. A DCC Ready loco I had 'won' on Vectis Auctions, 34109 Modified Spam in pristine condition, has the dreaded Hornybee 'gears disease' and was completely stuck up when I went to run it on the Rolling Road. That is until the gears sheared/split/ whatever. Fortunately I have several replacement sets of these gears as advised by others some time ago. I also need another nut spanner before I open it up, as the one I have does not fit this bl##dy loco's  crank pin screw heads...pah!

Now the good news, the other original Spamcan DCC Ready loco I also 'won', 34078 in early/late 50s livery with Raves on the tender, runs as smooth as a smooth snake in or on a smooth substance. Ummmmmm!

Continuing OK news is that I am now experimenting with the final parts of the north side of the Incline that will supposedly be where the Honiton Incline Box is based and is opposite the Refuge Siding (on my layout).  I am planning another removable 'tray' but with a cunning layer of sculpted foam  forming a sort of amphitheatre shape piece of terrain. Photo's when ICBA.

P      

Edited by Mallard60022
Speeling
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Emergency alert. The weather was so beautiful today that I drugged myself and went up The Junction to sort out some stuff.

First the bad news. A DCC Ready loco I had 'won' on Vectis Auctions, 34109 Modified Spam in pristine condition, has the dreaded Hornybee 'gears disease' and was completely stuck up when I went to run it on the Rolling Road. That is until the gears sheared/split/ whatever. Fortunately I have several replacement sets of these geras as advised by others some time ago. I also need another nut spanner before I open it up, as the one I have does not fit this bl##dy loco's  crank pin screw heads...pah!

Now the good news, the other original Spamcan DCC Ready loco I also 'won', 34078 in early/late 50s livery with Raves on the tender, runs as smooth as a smooth snake in or on a smooth substance. Ummmmmm!

Continuing OK news is that I am now experimenting with the final parts of the north side of the Incline that will supposedly be where the Honiton Incline Box is based and is opposite the Refuge Siding (on my layout).  I am planning another removable 'tray' but with a cunning layer of sculpted foam  forming a sort of amphitheatre shape piece of terrain. Photo's when ICBA.

P      

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I thought it was my photos that were brown and fuzzy, but the Mrs Dr G-F tells me the 70s actually were brown and fuzzy.  Everything was overlaid with a haze of ciggy and coal smoke, terrible nylon clothes, rubbish cars...

I miss those days.  Modern life is too bright.

Brown and orange curtains and fabric, and the latter was just the trousers...……….

Philth 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I thought it was my photos that were brown and fuzzy, but the Mrs Dr G-F tells me the 70s actually were brown and fuzzy.  Everything was overlaid with a haze of ciggy and coal smoke, terrible nylon clothes, rubbish cars...

Everything was brown, except avocado bathroom suites and two pairs of jeans that I had. One was bright green and the other was orange. Even my hair was brown in those days.

I'm not convinced that teal and peach shell suits from the 80s were much better.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Everything was brown, except avocado bathroom suites and two pairs of jeans that I had. One was bright green and the other was orange. Even my hair was brown in those days.

I'm not convinced that teal and peach shell suits from the 80s were much better.

Hi UDJ

Now I thought being a G*R modeller was bad taste but shell suits :scared:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

And green hair...;)

I turned up to one of the yearly army reservist malarkeys they held in Colchester with green hair. They wouldn't believe me when I said it was camouflage. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 5

While looking through some family phots inherited from my mother I found one of herself and me standing outside the front door taken in 1973. Not quite recognising the callow youth in front of my eyes, the thing that most struck me was the hair - not just the dark lustrous colour, but the great thick mane of the stuff cascading down to my shoulders.

My hair has since continued its downward migration.

Ah for those old and innocent days.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am far too young to remember the horrors of 70s fashion.  :dancer::dancer:

Lucky you.

13 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

You obviously missed the shirts, ties and tank tops Mrs SE made in those days. (No, I'm not posting any photos of me in them).

As for the brown clothes, my wedding suit was dark brown, trousers had 36 inch flares. Three shades of brown on the platform shoes, they were only 3 inch heels though. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Ah, the 70s and long hair for men... or as a friend of mine says, the decade when men looked like women but would kill you for saying so.

Not for all. Start of the 70s, cropped hair, Ben Sherman shirts, Levis and Doc Martins. Hair did get a wee bit long, Bowie hair cut ( Ok now called a Mullet). Grew that out, slightly long.......then in the army to the end of the decade. I discovered punk in the army so my natural scruffy short hair fitted in quite well. The photo of me was taken after leaving the army. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Definitive proof that the 70s were brown and fuzzy and Great Western...

My first ever railway photograph, Sunday 13th of February 1977...

may as well have been 1877 judging by the quality of my picture

In 1877 even that washed-out colour would have been a revelation. Even Julia Margaret Cameron might have picked up her camera again!

And my first ever railtour, the D&EG Chopper Railtour.  A blast round the Midland Region behind pairs of 20s... I saw almost 150 locomotives that day.  Even strange places such as Wellingborough and Burton on Trent had scads of freight locos sat around as it was a Saturday.  

Just noticed today's date, and realised this tour was 41 years ago this weekend...  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

In 1877 even that washed-out colour would have been a revelation. Even Julia Margaret Cameron might have picked up her camera again!

She would if she'd known a Western was coming through for the last time ever!  Even my dad was interested, it was him that took me along.

What I didn't realise then was that my subsequent interest in railways was to be marked by closures, last days of, withdrawls and a wholesale decimation of anything interesting about railways such that these days all I do on trains is try to sleep and ignore the smell of the toilets.  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Salvation ?

21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Did they pay you to go away?

Oi you two.....

The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and I had to pay them to get out.  The day I left the last thing I had to do was hand over the money. The paymaster had mucked me about just over a year before. So there was me with my £800 pounds in pound notes (remember them), I got to seven hundred and ninety something and said " I think I have miscounted", and proceeded to start again. There was nothing he could do about it, the second he had my money I was Mr Mortimore no longer Craftsman Mortimore 294.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

........I saw almost 150 locomotives that day.  Even strange places such as Wellingborough and Burton on Trent had scads of freight locos sat around as it was a Saturday.  ...  

Amazing how many were around in our youth. I remember going to Rugby with a school friend c1961. First day of the West Midlands car trade holidays. Clacton train about 8am from New Street, back about 6 pm from Rugby. Saw over 200 locos that day.

• Like 1