SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Despite me knackered leg and bent beak I was forced to go to watch the famous Argyle at Bradford yesterday. It was embarrassing and that is all I'm going to say but nice to spend some time with no 1 son despite him being in the pub for two hours. Even more knackered now so when I shall be fit to ascend to The Junction again is anyone's guess. Arse. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Despite me knackered leg and bent beak I was forced to go to watch the famous Argyle at Bradford yesterday. It was embarrassing and that is all I'm going to say but nice to spend some time with no 1 son despite him being in the pub for two hours. Even more knackered now so when I shall be fit to ascend to The Junction again is anyone's guess. Arse. 

I’m taking my son to the Hawthorn’s next Saturday.  Just the 300 mile round trip.  Wife says it’s my fault for indoctrinating him to be an Albion fan!  We may also stop off at the SVR...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I once changed trains at Yeoford. Must have been 1965, so not much steam about, but I think a BR Standard 4 tank came off the Barnstaple line and headed for Exeter light engine. I had caught a Barnstaple train, but wanted Port Isaac Road, hence the change. It was early evening, and I suspect I had done a loop from Port Isaac Road via Wadebridge and Bodmin Road to get to Exeter. The world was a very different place then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I once changed trains at Yeoford. Must have been 1965, so not much steam about, but I think a BR Standard 4 tank came off the Barnstaple line and headed for Exeter light engine. I had caught a Barnstaple train, but wanted Port Isaac Road, hence the change. It was early evening, and I suspect I had done a loop from Port Isaac Road via Wadebridge and Bodmin Road to get to Exeter. The world was a very different place then.

The 4s were the last steam loco's work those locals AFAIK. Well liked by the 72A men.

P

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If I spent two hours in the pub, I'd be knackered too!  Such devotion, to view PlyArg in such agony!:good_mini:

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, brianusa said:

If I spent two hours in the pub, I'd be knackered too!  Such devotion, to view PlyArg in such agony!:good_mini:

Brian.

He was meeting some ex work mates from the area. It was nice enough to be outside but I can't drink beer and I was the driver anyway; just had the one Brandy at about 12.30 as I wasn't driving until about 17.30 to get us home to Donny/Retford. If I'd been on the train I might have had a cider or two but they only have the gassy carp or fruity sort of pansy stuff....yuch.

Not really devotion Brian, unlike some of the fans that go to every match they can. Many are flying to Sunderland in a few weeks time. Strange that I think some of them need to go to Leeds to do that? Not sure of the logic other than the train is a long slog and driving is awful at that distance. However Stadium of Light (must be Roker park really) is a bucket list destination; they get 25thou+ crowds despite their lowly position these days. Sadly I fear we will get tonked there. Hey ho. 

P

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Back from the wild west. One thing about 'enforced' awayness is that I have the opportunity to read and delve. I now know a little more about the coaching situation for SOSJ and certainly it is more clear what fodder coaches are required. Sadly I was unable to sneak a visit to Hereford Models.

I have also dug out a batch of S Pride MK1 Kits; D24 all plastic (pre printed BR Green sides), D24 etched sides and the rest plastic  and a set of D25 etched sides to go on whatever I choose (perhaps the remains of the all plastic D24 if I ###### up the plastic, pre printed sides  :wacko:).

Mr Wizard has now also had an order for a couple of sets of Comet sides for a couple of D2552 Bulleid FKs that I have discovered were in several formations circa SO 1958 onwards until about '62; then the WR took over in '63.....pah! I suspect that a summer of RTR MK1hacking and suitable donors for the Bulleids (old somethings?) is on the horizon. In true SR practice, the FKs went down on SO (5 of the 'big' trains late morning and early p.m.), but only one went back up SO. The rest returned during the following week AFAICT.

However, first comes some gardening, bit of painting on a wood repair out front of the house and then a quick blob of sealant in a shower room. Then off to the Idle Valley NR for a quick coffee mid day and watching out for RAF/USAF aircraft heading for/away from Sheffield sometime today. Then I can get down to some serious kit bashing or whatever.

Sunday is Lincoln MR Show in Newark (don't ask) and maybe it was OK that I didn't get to Hereford Models and spend me pension.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
Should have ceheced the times!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Think you'll be too late for the aircraft - the flypast was 0845.

I just glimpsed the twin-engine ?Dakota (in fact I heard it first), over Rotherham about 0850.

Yup, just checked and it was early. never mind.

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

totally a propos nothing at all, but then isn't that what this site is all about? 

I'm on hold to my web hosting supplier and actually enjoying the music! - they play a selection of jazz, including an excellent piano rag I found myself desk-drumming along to!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

In a similar, but completely unrelated, topic I won a bluetooth speaker last week.

In a similar, but completely unrelated, topic Veronica has bought an Amazon Google Echo Dot. I haven't yet felt the urge to speak to an electrified ice-hockey puck called Alexa.

PS it only seems to need two wires to work...

Edited by St Enodoc
Amazon not Google - shows how much I know.
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

You're not a closet PopMaster fan Stu, are you?

No, I had to answer 12 questions correctly on UK driving to be entered into the draw.

They all seemed quite easy.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, just checked and it was early. never mind.

Phil

I managed to get my butt out of bed to watch it on TV the RAF & USAF done an excellent and moving display, the only spoilers were to 2 idiot TV presenters when the poor chap who was at the center of the event tried to get his story out but they insisted in butting in.

One saving grace is they didn't wheel out Vera Lynn to howl her guts out. :biggrin_mini2:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

In a similar, but completely unrelated, topic Veronica has bought a Google Echo Dot. I haven't yet felt the urge to speak to an electrified ice-hockey puck called Alexa.

PS it only seems to need two wires to work...

My new Motorola phone has a talk to Google search just like that Alexa thing, people look at you as if your potty when you use it out in the street. :wacko:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, 81C said:

I managed to get my butt out of bed to watch it on TV the RAF & USAF done an excellent and moving display, the only spoilers were to 2 idiot TV presenters when the poor chap who was at the center of the event tried to get his story out but they insisted in butting in.

One saving grace is they didn't wheel out Vera Lynn to howl her guts out. :biggrin_mini2:

Talksport dutifully mentioned the event in all its "news" bulletins - ending with "where the jet crashed!"

No wonder we now have Fake News, don't think Frank Whittle had got around to multi-engine planes by then.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 23:30, brianusa said:

I haven't been/won't be watching any football matches, nor have I/will I be winning any speakers, nor am I drinking any alcohol at the moment, nor do I have any intention of speaking to 'Alexa', even if my phone was capable of addressing her (which it's not), nor am I in Hong Kong or even Budleigh Salterton, but I did watch a bit of the fly-past this morning (by luck rather than judgement) and I found it very moving.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

By the way, I didn't mean to quote Brian in the USA in the above post, but I couldn't delete the bit that says 'On 08/02/2019 at 23:30 brianusa said:'.

No idea why, but it wouldn't leave my screen when asked both politely and less politely.

I think I might spend most of the evening in the bath.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Spent a pleasant hour on the seafront & beach at Seaton yesterday afternoon with the dog.

Hazy sunshine, very warm for the time of year and quite a few people around with it being half-term.

IMG_20190221_160856_390a.jpg.5304075c33063a95f86ca98dd1950ab3.jpg

I know it's a bit naughty, but I couldn't resist this one.  Not the clearest of photos and being a 'still' doesn't do the scene justice.

You had to be behind and on the move to get the best effect - just imagine the vision of those 4 in rhythmic motion  .  .  .  .

They do say that dogs take after their owners  .  .  .  .

IMG_20190221_163725_817a.jpg.c5e25c9d82f38db0564b83091666bbe1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6