Converting 'N' gauge drives to 'OO/EM' gauge

Can anyone help me with advice on the possibilities of converting 'N' gauge drives to (preferably) 'EM' gauge or 'OO' gauge? Obviously same possibilities would apply to both.

Reason for asking is that I model mid-1800's rolling stock and locos in 'EM' and need to be able to construct a 4-wheel carriage that can act as the pushing unit for a very small Crampton which is under construction.

There is other no way that I can see to motorise the Crampton as it is very small (see figure 14 in Mike Sharman's book 'The Crampton Locomotive')

Any help, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Michael dJS

• RMweb Gold

Mike Sharman's usual approach to this problem (IIRC) was to put the motor in the tender with a shaft drive - flexible or with universal joint - to the driving axle.

Another possibility, since you say it is a small Crampton, might be a Black Beetle ("other powered bogies are available") driving the two front carrying axles. That option was not about when Mike started modelling these locos in the early 70s.

Where you will struggle in converting N gauge mechanisms is the difference in axle sizes (diameter not length).

• RMweb Gold

Mike

My attempts to motorise the 5 & 9 Sharpie may help? 

I can send you some more photos off list if that would help.

Best wishes

Eric

Have just looked through this thread. What a lovely looking little tank engine. That drive solution is pure genius and looks to fit quite comfortably.

Archived