3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

That part looks great. Would the cost come down if the part was thinner? Do you think it could be used to make class 25 bodyside grill in o gauge or 1/32 as a master for resin casting?

DSCF0753.jpg

Simon, I imagine the price may be less for a thinner part, as the cost is directly related to the build time. But my part is only 2mm thick, and in most case you would want the panel to be not much thinner than that anyway.

And yes, I think that grille in 1/32 would be easily achievable.

Geoff

Just to update the thread (I'm more than happy for this thread to be used for a discussion on 3D printing and posting examples).

To see if the detail and overall finish improves with larger items I decided to get a 7mm class 25 cab printed. I also got a 2mm class 25 cab printed to see what detail would come out. I'm happy with the finish of the 7mm version as with a coat of paint and then a quick sand the results would be ok. The only downside is that the surface ridges have shown up more on the roof- down to the way I drew the roof originally.

DSCF84502.jpg

The 2mm version has printed ok with all the features visible except the raised surround to the headcode box. I don't think it would make a great model if you were to try and smooth the surface and try to replace farish cabs on a N gauge model. I have got another 2mm cab coming however as shapeways were at the time producing models made out of a different more expensive material (white detail as used on a couple of previous models)to a higher resolution than normal and as the 2mm cab didn't cost much I decided to order one to see what the resolution is like. I'll post a pick when it arrives.

DSCF84562.jpg

The only disappointment is that the 7mm model is slightly oversize (or at least is larger/wider than the Steve Beattie bodyshells I have)I will have to rescale the drawing and have another go. The 2mm version may also be the incorrect size but I don't have a N gauge 25 to compare it to.

Hi Simon,

I really hope you get this sorted as I will definietely be in the market for some 4mm 25 cabs, especially having rebuilt the chassis' on all mine now it makes the bodyshell innaccuracy stand out even more

• Like 1

The only disappointment is that the 7mm model is slightly oversize (or at least is larger/wider than the Steve Beattie bodyshells I have)I will have to rescale the drawing and have another go. The 2mm version may also be the incorrect size but I don't have a N gauge 25 to compare it to.

if you Class 25 is anythink like the class 23 i have just built then i would say that the steve Beattie is Wrong & not your Cab

• 4 weeks later...

I have gone back to my older camera to try and take better photographs of the 3D build, and I think these 3 show the part in a better light.

That part look absolutely awesome! Do you know what type of printer it is made on?

By the way, FineLine Prototyping is the parent company of Print-A-Part. PAP is aimed at the hobby market, and the piec shown would probably be around USD 20 on the "Hobbyist" printer.

Lets hope the quality of the part shown in the near future will be available at that price!

Regards, Haavard H

Yes, that part is made on a Viper.

Interesting that they aim towards the 'hobby' market, because the 'discerning modeller' would want better resolution than Print-A-Part can do. I have been dealing with Fineline in the US for about 4 years now, and during that time it has taken me some effort to convince them that anyone wanting to use the service for making good quality printed parts would want higher resolution than they have been offering up until now.

Although the new high resolution process is a bit expensive at the moment, it is still cost-effective for making masters to cast items from.

Although the new high resolution process is a bit expensive at the moment, it is still cost-effective for making masters to cast items from.

Here is a link to another service provider that offer parts with the level of resolution you are lookin for:

RJM Rapid Prototyping

And another one:

Red Eye

Have you tried Solidscape printers for making masters for brass castings, by the way?

Regards, HÃ¥vard H

• Like 1

Here is a link to another service provider that offer parts with the level of resolution you are lookin for:

RJM Rapid Prototyping

And another one:

Red Eye

Have you tried Solidscape printers for making masters for brass castings, by the way?

Regards, HÃ¥vard H

I could not find anything on those sites that tells me the resolution they offer. I am not saying it is not there, but without it, it is meaningless.

Re the Solidscape printers, no, because ALL my masters are for either brass or pewter casting and so far the Viper seems to produce the best results. I don't do resin casting from the masters.

RJM Rapid Prototyping

And another one:

Red Eye

Regards, HÃ¥vard H

The items on the website look good. Has anyone got a quote from either company?

• 3 weeks later...

I could not find anything on those sites that tells me the resolution they offer. I am not saying it is not there, but without it, it is meaningless.

Re the Solidscape printers, no, because ALL my masters are for either brass or pewter casting and so far the Viper seems to produce the best results. I don't do resin casting from the masters.

RJM uses Viper Si2 for the Stereo Litography parts, so they should be able to offer the same resolution as FineLine.

Solidscape printers prints wax parts with a resolution of up to 0.0005 in (0,012.7mm) layer thickness. This wax is designed for easy burn-out for making a brass (or other metal) master pattern.

Since I plan to have my brass castings done in Korea, I am trying out a service provider in Korea that charges USD 110,- for three wax prints of a similiar size as the green part you hav shown earlier.

When you are casting lost wax brass parts, any material will burn out quite easily, it does not need to be wax.

You would be well advised to get something small done with any company you locate, before you commit to a complex build, as what they advertise and what they end up producing are quite different.

I have tested quite a number of providers from all around the world over the last 5 or 6 years, and that's why I settled on Fineline in the USA. And cost is not a good indicator because you usually are making a pattern from which to cast more items, and you need to have the best pattern you can get.

• Like 1

When you are casting lost wax brass parts, any material will burn out quite easily, it does not need to be wax.

You would be well advised to get something small done with any company you locate, before you commit to a complex build, as what they advertise and what they end up producing are quite different.

I have tested quite a number of providers from all around the world over the last 5 or 6 years, and that's why I settled on Fineline in the USA. And cost is not a good indicator because you usually are making a pattern from which to cast more items, and you need to have the best pattern you can get.

It is indeed good advice to test a provider before plunging in too deep. I have therefore placed an order for just a test part with Sejoong Information Technology Co. , the service provider i mentioed in my last post.

Have you tried any service providers in Korea, by the way?

For the actual lost wax castings I have used Korea Brass, and I am quite happy with their service. Having the castings made in Korea was what made me look for a Korean service provider for 3D printing, it makes for a more efficient production chain if the 3D prints do not have to be sent half way round the world.

But it remains to be seen if this is a good idea. Will keep you posted, my master brass sample (Printed by Sejoong, cast by Korea Brass) is on the way. I will be a lot wiser after inspecting that part...

Regards,

HÃ¥vard Houen

No, I have not tried any of the Korean suppliers, but I don't need to. I can get excellent builds from Fineline and I have an excellent local brass caster here in Australia.

But I have had other dealings with Korean suppliers for other projects, and they were generally not satisfactory. The communication is a difficult issue and getting what you want, at the quality you want, is like having teeth extracted.

I certainly would not pass a build straight from the 3D builder on to the casting company, you need to see what comes out first.

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update.

I have cast a couple of cabs. I'm happy with the smoothness but no so happy about the detail/edge of the front widscreens.

DSCF86172.jpg

DSCF86222.jpg

I've not done anymore on the 7mm class 25/3 cab but hopefully I'll get time soon to resize and order another version (I'll also try to smooth the roof out as well).

Just picked up on this thread. Been looking at "reprap" for a while, only looking though :)

However through their various blogs etc came across a company in Bristol if you're interested in UK supplier http://www.3dcreationlab.co.uk/

No knowledge or association with them.

HP are offering 3d printers in uk circa £15k

Kevin Staddon

Unfortunately, like many others, they do not state the maximum resolution obtained using their process.

• 1 month later...

I've not done much modelling recently but in the last order from shapeways I got a 1/32 cab test printed to see if the size looked ok.

DSCF8948.jpg

At the moment I'm still playing around trying to get the 7mm cab to line up exactly with the Steve Beattie body. I'm hoping the next print will be spot on then I can cast some in resin.

I also printed a class 20 cab and nose that I've drawn -only basic details and printed in oo gauge to see if it looks the same as a Bachmann 20.

DSCF8949.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had another delivery from shapeways last week and a couple of the items were done as a test to see what small sized items would come out like. One was a class 04 tram engine printed in black detail and was T scale - 1:450

DSCF8962.jpg

The second was a z gauge tram and a fruit van printed in the basic white strong and flexible material.

DSCF8953.jpg.

• Like 2

Looks good! Z sccale model impressive.

I really believe this will eventually transform the hobby. fabathome.org

At work we are looking at new high def RP machines. Not a huge build envelope, but higher than dental/jewellery machines. The test file, unfortunately not related to railways, was very impressive indeed. These have very fine +/- 125micron detail and a variety of materials, including wax based for investment casting (what we will be using it for). Won't mention brand, but I believe that shapeways are looking at adding one to their services.

Simon

• Like 2

I don't know if you've seen the posting on the Shapeways forum, but there is a Dutch guy, Mitchell Jetten, - http://www.shapeways.com/shops/spoorobjecten - who has been trying a different process.

These shots of an N gauge train are the results

post-6049-0-11722400-1294357484_thumb.jpg

post-6049-0-55335800-1294357523_thumb.jpg

Which I think is very impressive.

Sadly he says this is 2 to 3 times more expensive than Shapways.

Tom

• Like 2