3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:51, herbie2478 said:

Hi,

Is the 4mm Tullis Russell PAA available from your Shapeways site?

Regards

Hi Sadly the TR PAA chassis was designed for Shapeways HDA material which they subsequently withdrew.  I can look at making it available in the fine detail material and I'll also have a go at printing it on my Form 2 now I have some more resin.

Recently Railtec scaled up the OTA transfer to 7mm which was the spark needed to finish off my own OTA.  The wagon was printed in WSF and has WSF buffers and stanchions, the deck and ends were made from plasticard with planks and wood grain engraved on them.  The straps were made from Tamiya masking tape and the deck was weathered using acrylic paints.  The stanchions were painted white before being weathered and having rust spots added using dark mud Mig ammo Oilbrusher.

33889957578_ea362124e1_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

40800777803_d34141f970_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

46850573595_acd0be14be_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 9

Had a couple of requests about my Shapeways shop, link to the shop below-

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/brbluemodels

Following on from the Slab sided Polybulk I've drawn one of the Grainflow wagons, I did a test in 4mm with a Balco printed body (printed in 3 parts) with Form 2 details and bogies.

47690692841_443c937238_k.jpgGrainflow wagon 4mm by simon br blue, on Flickr

I also printed a test body in 7mm and 1/32 scale.

33813310068_f7c0ccd0bb_k.jpgGrainflow Wagon test prints by simon br blue, on Flickr

I painted the hopper with Humbrol grey 64 and Halfords Ford Laurel Green.

47690689491_721c2c7e4e_k.jpgGrainflow wagon 4mm by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2019 at 22:46, simon br blue said:

Hi Sadly the TR PAA chassis was designed for Shapeways HDA material which they subsequently withdrew.  I can look at making it available in the fine detail material and I'll also have a go at printing it on my Form 2 now I have some more resin.

Recently Railtec scaled up the OTA transfer to 7mm which was the spark needed to finish off my own OTA.  The wagon was printed in WSF and has WSF buffers and stanchions, the deck and ends were made from plasticard with planks and wood grain engraved on them.  The straps were made from Tamiya masking tape and the deck was weathered using acrylic paints.  The stanchions were painted white before being weathered and having rust spots added using dark mud Mig ammo Oilbrusher.

33889957578_ea362124e1_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

40800777803_d34141f970_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

46850573595_acd0be14be_k.jpg7mm OTA wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

Many thanks, I'll keep a lookout for it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 23:39, simon br blue said:

Time for another update.  I've not had chance to get the previous prints painted but hopefully the weather will improve and warm up a bit soon.

On the drawing front I've nearly finished another Wisbech andUupwell item of rolling stock GER brake no.16, render below shows current progress but its been harder to find photos and detail compared to the locos or modern wagons I've done previously.

GER%20brake%2016%205.1_zpscoy0ttlg.jpg

Had a delivery from shapeways earlier in the week, mostly W&U items but a couple of WSF items ordered when they had 20% off.

A couple of 7mm items a WSF Y6 tram printed with the boiler separate but with the window frames and buffers attached.

7mm%20Y6_zpstmgsxnhq.jpg

Another 7mm item was GER luggage van no.9, this was printed in one part in SWF polished.  I chose this for a try with WSF polished as it had some detail but the details were strong enough to survive 'polishing'.  The finish is smooth with no loss of detail and will give a good comparison with the finish on the Y6.

ger%20no%209%20smooth_zpsl4cnnfqu.jpg

no%209%20smooth_zps3uq9fqet.jpg

Next up is the W&U bogie coach, this is 4mm and printed in HDA.  As a test I got 2 bogies printed - one FUD and the other HDA - the HDA bogie shows the problems from the join where support material joins the model (lucklily the top surface can be smoothed and wont affect the overall look of the coach).  The sides look good but there will be bit of work removing the support pips from the ends.  i didn't model the interior to keep the cost down but this should be simple to add if made from plasticard.  One thing I didn't do with the model was to check the Shapeways upload and as shown in the photo part of the brake wheels are missing, annoying but something I should have checked before ordering.

W%20amp%20U%20coach%201_zpsyptu28zs.jpg

W%20amp%20U%20coach%202_zps91b6vf0o.jpg

W%20amp%20U%20coach%203_zpsjnyugpxx.jpg

bogie%20FUD%20HDA_zps0zzhn9su.jpg

These do look excellent. I wondered if the W&U models would become available for sale, or, indeed, self-printing, in 4mm scale?

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the tip about 51L/wizard models, I purchased some ferry fittings and various etched wheels.

Regarding the Wisbech and Upwell models, I'm still working on them, the balcony railings are the weak point at the moment, maybe need etching or laser cutting.

Work has also continued with the various Polybulk wagons.

I rescaled and printed a 4mm version of the E443 slab-sided Polybulk, the body is grey PLA and printed in 2 parts on the Balco printer, the details are grey resin printed on the Form 2.  The bogies are Shapeways Multi Jet Fusion Y25 bogies.

48174240001_4d76b164fe_k.jpg4mm E443 Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

48174314517_166ce14475_k.jpg4mm E443 Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

The other 4mm Polybulk that's nearly finished is the Malt Distillers version.  Balco PLA 2 part body, Form 2 grey resin details, Shapeways WSF Y25 bogies. Etched ferry loops and brake wheels from 51L/wizard models.

48174241711_292589d71b_k.jpg4mm Malt Distillers Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

48174238136_ba7094b2b8_k.jpg4mm Polybulks by simon br blue, on Flickr

Moving up in scale the 7mm Grainflow Polybulk is nearly finished.  Similar to the first Polybulk its made with a Balco PLA 3 part body, Shapeways WSF Details and Y25 bogies.

48174243506_4c2de2e1df_k.jpg7mm Grainflow Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

48174306032_b7035f1f11_k.jpg7mm Grainflow Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

48174308372_827e52ede5_k.jpg7mm Grainflow Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

Finally for tonight is the 1/32 Grainflow polybulk pictured with the 2 smaller versions (which makes the 4mm version look tiny).  It's made the same way as the 7mm version with Balco PLA 3 part body, Shapeways WSF Details and Y25 bogies.

48174234536_0649e6da83_k.jpgGrainflow Polybulks by simon br blue, on Flickr

48174310767_42e8e73bcc_k.jpgGrainflow Polybulks by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

Firstly some wagons that I uploaded to flickr but forgot to post on this thread.  A wagon that was finished but waiting transfers, weathering and a load was the 7mm POA scrap wagon.  I've made a couple of versions of this available on shapeways with 2 types of suspension and an open or solid bodyside to enable dents and to be made plasticard sides.  The transfers are from Railtec and the load is loose material from Ebay.  The 4mm Bachmann POA was used as a test for weathering and adding a load.

33974277378_0f9b91acf2_k.jpg7mm POA scrap wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

46995711515_a80f733a87_k.jpg4mm and 7mm POA by simon br blue, on Flickr

48293786681_ef3364e1c3_k.jpg7mm POA scrap wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

Also weathered at the same time was a lightly weathered 7mm Campbells soup wagon, a 16t mineral wagon with my printed chassis and homemade transfers and the original Shapeways Polybulk.

40945062383_15f3bd9d22_k.jpg7mm Campbells PVA by simon br blue, on Flickr

47001378224_620415b1b4_k.jpg7mm 16t mineral wagon by simon br blue, on Flickr

47911653161_4010a2655d_k.jpg7mm Polybulk by simon br blue, on Flickr

A couple of more wagons part built are the 7mm HTV hopper and Grain hopper.  The HTV has a Shapeways WSF chassis and PLA hopper,  I still need to add the end frame and handrails.  The Grain hopper is WSF chassis and details with a PLA hopper and Form 2 resin top hatches, this still needs the side hatch fitting.

48293918012_0fee4e78fe_k.jpg7mm HTV hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48293815701_300789ed19_k.jpg7mm HTV hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48293913607_d6699b401b_k.jpg7mm 21t Grain hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48293811016_9cbd1e055a_k.jpg7mm 21t Grain hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been following this thread for a while now and decided to take the plunge with a couple of the CO2 TTA tanks for my O gauge layout.

The parcel arrived from Shapeways yesterday, really pleased with the parts I got, did a quick test assembly last night, I'm using sprung buffers and couplings bought through Invertrain and Slaters wheels, I picked up a short length of pipe for the tank barrels from ebay.

Really pleased with how its went together, now to build them properly!

Cheers

Craig

Co2 TTA 1.jpg

Co2 TTA 2.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon,

I've just finishing off a couple of the Campbell's curtain siders in 4mm using the now available Railtec transfers. A couple of observations if I may...

The 3D print is a bit rough and tricky to smooth out due to all the detail therein. I have had some success using Klear keeping each surface flat as it dries, as it's self levelling. At least good enough for me anyway. I appreciate that Shapeways aren't quite the firm they used to be and this is not a criticism of the design or the print per se, just how I dealt with it. I might have had a go with a glass fibre brush but I'd be worried about dishing the panels if I did that.

The transfers are very nice but Steve has only supplied 2 wagon numbers on yellow ovals per wagon, looking at photos there is one on the chassis plate and one on the curtain each side, so you need 4 per wagon. The PVB TOPS panels have numbers for 5 wagons but of those 5, only 7 and 11 were fitted with curtains, the other three (0, 1, 2) were withdrawn still with cupboard doors. Ratcliffe, I think, has the numbers in his softback book on PO wagons. If not, they're in the A5 Cheona book that features the wagon on the back cover. In addition to 7 & 11, 3 and 13 are viable candidates. Not sure from memory on the other 3.

There's a little dark square above the TOPS panel in the pictures I have, I think it might be a faded commuted charge sticker, this is missing from the sheet, but I'm not sure when they ceased to be shown.

Finally, all the TOPS panels are for PVB, but all wagons became PVA sometime before 1990, so for me at least, I'll be patching the panel and putting an A in, it's be nice to have a bit of variety on the sheet.

If you think these comments should be directed to Steve @ Railtec, I'll forward them to him.

That aside, this is the best way to get a model of this wagon and overall I'm pretty chuffed with how it's all come together.

I'll post some pictures once I've got the sealing coat of varnish on.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Well, they're pretty good I think. I've turned one end on so you can see how I've fared with the rough finish. It's not RTR* but I'm happy with the result.

I'll have these at Scaleforum if anyone's coming.

* Although all I had to do was put the bearings and wheels in. The chassis is square and true as supplied.

IMG_20190917_213115__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Good to see some models being built.  Regarding the surface roughness in the Campbell's wagon i Think you've made a great job of smoothing the ends, I did look at making the chassis available in the smoother detail plastic but that would now cost over £80.  The CO2 tank looks ready for the paint shop, when I painted mine I painted the white and then the orange band over top.  I also did an experiment where I painted the Orange over a grey primer,  masked it and then sprayed the white on top, this is easier to mask and gives the orange a darker colour and suits the sun weathered look.

A couple of wagon updates, a couple of hoppers nearly finished, the unbraked grain hopper has had home made transfers added along with the side hatch detail and the upper band which was added using a strip of masking tape.

48690580311_3bdefb1204_k.jpg7mm 20t Grain hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48690738462_1c9d2e494a_k.jpg7mm 20t Grain hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48690240118_f69cdc003b_k.jpg7mm 20t Grain hopper roof detail by simon br blue, on Flickr

The second wagon is the PAA Tullis Russell China clay hopper, this has been finished off with the addition of chains made from twisted wire and some weathering, just needs some greyish weathering to represent the china clay.

48690238858_32f9090d73_k.jpg7mm PAA Tullis Russell hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

48690739682_cf753ef8f2_k.jpg7mm PAA Tullis Russell hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, simon br blue said:

G

The second wagon is the PAA Tullis Russell China clay hopper, this has been finished off with the addition of chains made from twisted wire and some weathering, just needs some greyish weathering to represent the china clay.

48690238858_32f9090d73_k.jpg7mm PAA Tullis Russell hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

7mm

PAA Tullis Russell hopper by simon br blue, on Flickr

Where did you get the lettering from for the Tullis Russell PAA? Thats the big thing missing from my 4mm hoppers

Thanks,

Jon

3 hours ago, Craig Watson said:

My progress so far, the orange lines have been masked and brush painted, they'll be faded and weathered anyway, the transfers on the model so far have been scavenged from other packs that I had spare, really pleased with how these are turning out.

TTA1.jpg

TTA2.jpg

You should still be able to get the Appleby Model Engineering range by writing to John Talbot. But that was a couple of years back now.

HTH,

quote/Good to see some models being built.  Regarding the surface roughness in the Campbell's wagon i Think you've made a great job of smoothing the ends, I did look at making the chassis available in the smoother detail plastic but that would now cost over £80. /quote/

Thanks Simon, I can't believe the high def print is more than 4 times the price. Eek!

Regards,

6 hours ago, simon br blue said:

They are home printed transfers, the only issue I has is as the text on the sides is white I had to match the colour of the hopper body to a colour in ms paint and print them on white transfer paper. 

Simon, would you be prepared to share the artwork please? 

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,

If he did, it would be 7T18, the same number as the 4mm I think. I don't have a 7mm catalogue to hand but I know someone who does, I can find out before the weekend. John matched the 4mm catalogue up to a point, I think he expected to produce a range of 7mm wagons - I've seen the depressed-centre PCA and Procor FNA and I have a VEA.

Regards,

Mark.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, leisuresl said:

Hi,

If he did, it would be 7T18, the same number as the 4mm I think. I don't have a 7mm catalogue to hand but I know someone who does, I can find out before the weekend. John matched the 4mm catalogue up to a point, I think he expected to produce a range of 7mm wagons - I've seen the depressed-centre PCA and Procor FNA and I have a VEA.

Regards,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I now have the transfers I need to finish the wagons off, I'll have a look at getting a list from Appleby though.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, leisuresl said:

Hi Craig - I've had a look at the Appleby 7mm catalogue (issue no.5).

7T18 is unfortunately Plasmor PNAs and nos. 7T19-23 are no longer listed.

However, 7T29 is CO2 Hazchem markings (2 pairs, £2.50). 

Sorry for the poor advice,

Mark.

No problem, thanks for helping anyway,

I've now got the remaining transfers on and started on weathering them.

Cheers

Craig

tta.jpg

• Like 3