3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

A bit more progress-

Firstly I gave the wagon a coat of primer and then added the plasticard sides to the POA. I also fitted some new wheels with the correct disc brakes. I have also got the sprung buffers working, in a stroke of luck the little springs from Graham Farish couplings fit perfectly and give the buffers a realistic soft spring. If the weather is good at the weekend I will try to give it a coat of white primer. Does anyone know the correct shade of blue and yellow and a supplier of 7mm transfers?

DSCF07152.jpg

I've also done a little work on the 2mm class 25/3 body. I've given it a coat of primer and added some front detail (although it's not glued on yet). Looking at the model I now think that it needs a little mod to the cab side area - I think a previous mod has left the cab sides compressed comapred to the rest of the bodyside?

DSCF07092.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know the correct shade of blue and yellow and a supplier of 7mm transfers?

From memory I think it's standard warning panel yellow and Phoenix Precision P229 "Barclays Blue" but don't quote me on that - there isn't a picture of the shade on their website.

The standard TOPS panels you should be able to get from Fox, and the "SR" lettering I would guess might be available as Letraset or equivalent - or get one of the custom transfer people to do them for you.

Really loving that 7mm wagon, looks spot on. It's a pity it's too modern for my layout by about 2 years :( http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/scrapwagonssa/h1680b3f9#h1680b3f9

Really outstanding results you're getting, especially in 7mm.

I was following your thread in the early days, but as results were a bit sketchy I didn't think anything was going to come of it. It looks like I was wrong. What's even more interesting for me is that you're modelling the locos I want!

I'd love a decent early 24 (two or three actually), a 21 and a 30. I have a resin Beattie 24 but it's not worth the effort to bring it up to a proper scale representation but yours looks outstanding, especially the bogies, which are amazing!

If there are queues forming for a kit of parts then I'm definitely in it. How about some first generation DMUs? I need a few of those!

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, been watching for a while. I'm ITCHING to get some 4mm 25/3 cabs, I'd happily go with the one's shown further up. Do you have any idea when they maybe available?

Oly

I guess there a few of us !!! I'd certainly like 2 or 3 sets, if and when they become available.

On the subject of the blue POAs - the shade of Barclays blue is correct, because they (Barclays) were financially involved in the project.

Great stuff, been watching for a while. I'm ITCHING to get some 4mm 25/3 cabs, I'd happily go with the one's shown further up. Do you have any idea when they maybe available?

Oly

I've had a break from phyisical modelling recently but I've started again last week. I've done some more work on the 4mm 25.3 cabs and hope I can get them done before Christmas but i'm struggling to do much painting outside in the cold and dark at the moment.

On the 2mm front I've done some more work but it's good and bad. I spent some time modifiying a 25.1 bodyshell into a net to make it possible to print without leaving the detail overed with support material-

2512mmnet.jpg

Sadly Shapeways changed the orientation and the model didn't print verywell, I contacted their support team and they organised a reprint wit hthe next order but this again was printed in the wrong orientation which again left support material on the model. The pictures below show the support maerial on hte left of the cabfront (as the model was printed on it's side) and on the bodysides the support material is also present. I have had a coupe of goes at sanding this to smooth it out and I'll post some pics if it turns out ok but it is hard work sanding around the detail.

2DSCF1319.jpg

2DSCF1315.jpg

I have a 2mm class 25.3 on order at the moment that will hopefully be the final version with modified cab sides as mentioned above in the thread.

674x501_726653_594147_1349461234.jpg

There have been more developements on the wagon front (almost worth starting a new thread as I've done more work on them recently).

For a comparison between WSF and Prime grey I got a 7mm POA scrap wagon printed in Prime grey from Imaterilise (both with FUD sprung buffers and couplings attached). The Price was more than WSF but I hoped the surface finish would be worth it. The first pic shows the 2 wagons next to each other (the WSF version has had a quick coat of white ready for the yellow and blue topcoat). The second pic shows a closer up view. The surface finish is clearly better and the detail shows up well the only annoying thing is the 'pips' from the way it is printed will all need removing - WSF doesn't need this but it needs a coat of primer and a sand to smooth the surface finish. The nly other thing I've noticed is that the Prime grey version isn't as stiff and the top edges of hte wagon have bowed in a bit but I'm sure these can be sorted when the sides are glued in - I might try to distress the sides on this like the prototype.

2DSCF1323.jpg

2DSCF1326.jpg

Also as a test to see what the finish will be like I've got a 7mm OCA wagon on order with Shapeways in frosted detail (again more expesive but hopefully the doors and side details will print as one piece. I also have a 7mm OCA (without doors attached) on order in Prime grey and a spur of detail parts for it on order in FUD that will give me 2 complete wagons to compare.

OCAall7mm.jpg

I've got a bit more to update so i'll try and do that tomorrow but as a taster this is what I've been working on.

pgatest7mm.jpg

• Like 7

The Gloucester Pedestal suspension looks interesting, presumably it's designed to print in one piece?

2DSCF0681.jpg

I've done 2 versions, one solid version for WSF and Prime grey and a second working version for FUD.

2DSCF1331.jpg

The working version is in two parts with mounts for the springs to be pushed into. I was going to do it all in FUD but I thought that the springs would be to weak and could snap so I got them printed in WSF. Not knowing how strong the WSF springs would be I got several lengths so I could see which worked best.

2DSCF1333.jpg

The next pic shows the the suspension mounted on a PAA test chassis with some extra springs still attached.

2DSCF1337.jpg

I've now started to draw a BIS PAA wagon.

2DSCF0680.jpg

And after that I think I'll have a go at a Tullis Russell wagon if I can find any drawing.

• Like 6

And after that I think I'll have a go at a Tullis Russell wagon if I can find any drawing.

There was a drawing of those wagons in Railway Modeller - I'll have a rummage tonight and will let you know which issue it appeared in.

There was a drawing of those wagons in Railway Modeller - I'll have a rummage tonight and will let you know which issue it appeared in.

That would be great Martin.

My latest order was due for delivery today but nothing delivered yet. Never mind I'm sure it will be here some time next week.

Another little update, below should be a link to a video of the suspension working.

http://s135.beta.pho...CF1338.mp4.html

One job for the future is to adjust the clips that limit the travel on the suspension as the real wagons only have a small difference depending on if they're full or empty.

Edited by simon br blue
  • Like 4

Sorry, I'd forgotten about this - I've just had a look and it was the October 2005 edition that featured the Tullis Russel PAA drawing. The drawing is by Colin Craig, so I'd be confident that it was accurate.

The working suspension looks great!

Edited by Pugsley

2DSCF0681.jpg

I've done 2 versions, one solid version for WSF and Prime grey and a second working version for FUD.

2DSCF1331.jpg

The working version is in two parts with mounts for the springs to be pushed into. I was going to do it all in FUD but I thought that the springs would be to weak and could snap so I got them printed in WSF. Not knowing how strong the WSF springs would be I got several lengths so I could see which worked best.

2DSCF1333.jpg

The next pic shows the the suspension mounted on a PAA test chassis with some extra springs still attached.

2DSCF1337.jpg

I've now started to draw a BIS PAA wagon.

2DSCF0680.jpg

Now these are totally mad but amazing too :sungum: . Have you tried them under the full weight of a wagon yet?

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...

Another long gap getween replies but a small update.

I've made another mould of the latest class 25.3 cab and I'll get some pics when I get a chance during daylight.

3d modelling wise I've made some progress on the wagon front. I got a copy of the railway modeller with the Tullis Russell PAA drawings in off ebay and used them to draw a 4mm PAA.

PAAmodel5_zps52880f66.jpg

PAAmodel_zpsc090210c.jpg

PAAmodel4_zps39a4f62f.jpg

From that I was able to move onto some Redland PGA's. Ive drawn 3 types often seen together in mxed formations with the differences being worked out from photographs. If any one can see and obvious mistakes please let me know (the PAA pictured has a mistake on it - the door opening gear should only be on one side not both and the PGA below has an extra bracket by teh steps left on from when it was a PAA).

REDAPGA2_zps1ae90628.jpg

REDAPGAtype3_zps87ad4785.jpg

REDAPGAtype2_zps88fde0b0.jpg

The conversion from one type to another wasn't a long process and was quite easy to do after studying several photos ( mostly on Paul Bartlett's site)

I've designed the 4mm PAA as a kit so that it could be seperated and printed as parts, with the next shapeways order I'll get a kit of parts printed as a test - I've designed it so it can be printed in WSF or prime grey in 7mm and in FUD or FD in 4mm

PAAsplit4mm_zps665f4232.jpg

Next I'll have to convert one to a BIS PAA.

• Like 7

I am curious why you would design this at a "kit" rather than printing as much as possible in one piece, perhaps with a few supplementary detail parts?

I've designed the 4mm PAA as a kit so that it could be seperated and printed as parts, with the next shapeways order I'll get a kit of parts printed as a test - I've designed it so it can be printed in WSF or prime grey in 7mm and in FUD or FD in 4mm.

• Like 1

I am curious why you would design this at a "kit" rather than printing as much as possible in one piece, perhaps with a few supplementary detail parts?

The way I've drawn the wagon means there are several seperate parts, I decided to make them fit together so they could be printed seperately. As The biggest cost will be printing the chassis and hopper I will try to cast them and then if I want to mke more in the future I can just order a spur of smaller parts and details. If the 4mm goes Ok i'll get a 7mm version printed and do the same with that.