3D printing class 25 parts .... Also class 20,37, 2mm and 7mm wagons and 1/32 bogies

you really need to start selling those cabs now Simon, they look very good and you deserve a return on your work.   How you do this is beyond me.  I looked at the drawing programme and it would have been easier for me to grow a second head than to draw a class 25 cab!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Does the pic below look better?  I moved the headcode boxes out slightly but this then made them almost join up with the nose grill surround so I moved and resized the grills a little.

class37hcmod_zps56e7d341.jpg

Also got a pic showing how the pictures and drawings are set up in blender.  It's hard to find side on and front on pics of locos so if I'm at a gala I'll always look to get some square on pics for reference but sometimes it's luck such as 37003 at Thuxton.  Pictures can also help to show up errors on drawings for example the window and grill near the boiler compartment look to be out of place slightly on the drawing when most other things seem to line up when compared to the photo of 37255.

class37screenprint_zps840a457d.jpg

Hi Simon,

I've just stumbled across this whilst searching for class 37 drawings with google.

What package are you using to create the drawings? Are you willing to make the drawings available please? Last Christmas I was bought a Heljan O gauge class 37 body, so I am looking to build the bogies and fuel tank from scratch using brass. The model will be running outside so I prefer to use brass rather than plastic outside.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
Time of another update on the Redland/Lafarge SDT train.

I've done some more on the wagons and have another update on the PHA wagons,

Been working on the PHA wagons on and off over the summer and got some prints delivered recently and cast some hoppers as a test.

The first pic shows a cast hopper on the FUD chassis, the hopper isn't the best casting but with a bit of filler it's fine - could easily get some professionally cast if there was demand from others.

DSCF2422%202_zps7nqowcr3.jpg

The second pic shows the WSF chassis with a painted hopper.  The chassis is a modified print with improved springs as the original didn't print very well in 4mm.

DSCF2421%202_zpsbntfp8de.jpg

The new prints are of the end and motor wagon modified for WSF in 4mm.  The end wagon is in 3 parts - a chassis, the hopper and the end belt mechanism.  I got a hopper printed in both WSF and FUD to see what the difference was like. The end part was designed so it would print in WSF but looks good in FUD and is also stronger.

DSCF2417%202_zpsk918q4mx.jpg

DSCF2418%202_zps49eoyuex.jpg

DSCF2429%202_zpsgsqi1irk.jpg

The motor wagon was printed in 3 parts the same as the end wagon with a separate chassis, hopper and engine.  I haven't printed a hopper for this yet as this has been designed to use 2 halves of the end wagon hopper (the half that is flat) back to back.

DSCF2420%202_zpsbjmfkzqb.jpg

DSCF2426%202_zpsf3zbr4lp.jpg

Been working on my rake of 7mm wagons including the conveyor wagon.

DSCF2428%202_zpsfq54cjcu.jpg

DSCF2431%202_zpso73tav3i.jpg

I also managed to get some more photos of SDT train at Ely the other day.

DSCF2435_zpsfoql7nmt.jpg

DSCF2451_zpsqa7tfbox.jpg

DSCF2445_zpstqevrtil.jpg

DSCF2552_zpsqafan2x9.jpg

Regards

Simon.

• Like 2

Any news on the class 25 cabs

Hi,

I made a casting of the 25 cab the same time as the PHA hopper but it didn't turn out great as had some bubbles in the mould. I will hopefully get chance to do some more casting next week so will try again. As there looks to be several people after the cabs I'll look to see what the cost would be to get them professionally cast.

Simon.

• 2 months later...

Time for another update.

Not done much physical modelling recently but did get another wagon printed.  Also seeing the new rail exclusive 24 and the possibility of good 25 has put the 25 cab on hold.

A wagon I got delivered before Christmas was a 7mm PKA articulated vehicle transporter.  When connected up (it was printed in 4 parts) it is probably the longest model so far - I had to use the panoramic setting on the phone to get a picture.  I need to add the deck from plastic but will do this using evergreen sheet with ridges.  The third picture shows a good improvement of the shapeways website, there are some useful tools to help show problems with models including separate parts, too small parts and too closely positioned parts.  Pictures also show the method of pivoting the centre axle.

PKA%20model_zps6kxgxg1v.jpg

IMG_2530_zpsflghpa0m.jpg

PKA%20parts_zps0wvyz4vs.jpg

• Like 2

Another little update, a loco I've been drawing recently that is a bit different to most of my recent models - J70 tram.  I've drawn it for FUD in 4mm and SWF or Prime grey in 7mm.  Drawn in such a way that the different skirt arrangements can be covered as can the internal detail.  Again the second render from Shapeways shows the tool for multiple items in different colours.

j70%207mm_zpsyzbuyyky.jpg

J70%20parts_zpsqa4fcejq.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hello Simon,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for some time to monitor the progress of your class 25 cab replacements, only to find they are now on hold! Whilst I understand where you are coming from, I still think there will be demand for the cabs as I'm sure I am not the only one who cannot afford to replace six type two's with the RE/SLW model (and to be honest with the excellent running properties of the Bachmann and penbit bogies purchased, wouldn't want to) but, at the same time is still looking to improve the look of the model.

For what it's worth the most recent revision looks very promising and I was eager to discover how much the casting was going to cost, so any chance of revisiting the cabs?

Cheers

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

Good to see the 25's coming along Rob, sorry I thought I'd put some centre lamp irons in with the cabs.

Got another delivery from Shapeways on Friday.  This was placed at Christmas when Shapeways had 20 off WSF, sadly A couple one wagon chassis was damaged and part of the 7mm BBA went missing but as usual shapeways customer service is sorting it.

One of the items was a class 37 bogie and a separate inner chassis.  Picture below shows it under the 37 fitted with an odd collection of wheels I had to hand.  It looks OK and will need separate cab steps adding, there is also a clearance issue between the wheels and the end frame but then version one normally requires some work.  Also printed was a bogie mount that fits to the bottom of the door frame and also helps to position the cab interior.

370onbogie_zps273d2c93.jpg

hi simon the side frame look great im just wondering im in the process of wanting to build a 5 inch gauge class 37 im just wondering if the side frames are available from shape ways to buy i love to detail they would bring to a project like that . . .regards ian  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another little update, a loco I've been drawing recently that is a bit different to most of my recent models - J70 tram.  I've drawn it for FUD in 4mm and SWF or Prime grey in 7mm.  Drawn in such a way that the different skirt arrangements can be covered as can the internal detail.  Again the second render from Shapeways shows the tool for multiple items in different colours.

j70%207mm_zpsyzbuyyky.jpg

J70%20parts_zpsqa4fcejq.jpg

Simon, only just spotted the render for the J70 - looks good! Is there any chance of making it available to buy on Shapeways please? I have a soft spot for Great Eastern trams and a 7mm J70 would be a lovely addition to my fleet. (Plus it'll look good with my W&U tramcar if I ever get round to finishing it...)

The PGA wagons you produced in page 13,are they available to buy. I'd love a few. :senile:

Hi, do you mean the 7mm PAA Tullis Russell wagon?  Yes I can make it available on shapeways, 

Simon, only just spotted the render for the J70 - looks good! Is there any chance of making it available to buy on Shapeways please? I have a soft spot for Great Eastern trams and a 7mm J70 would be a lovely addition to my fleet. (Plus it'll look good with my W&U tramcar if I ever get round to finishing it...)

Hi, yes I can also make this available on shapeways but have not printed one myself in 7mm.  I did receive my 4mm FUD model the other week and have managed to get a coat of primer on it.  Pictures below, some parts will need a smooth but the wooden body looks suited to the rough area left behind by the support material.

IMG_3931_zpszyak9qhq.jpg

IMG_3933_zpsrjfctv94.jpg

IMG_3934_zpspm5fyhiv.jpg

I've also had a go at drawing some other bits, the first one I've done is a grain conveyor - render below.

grain%20conveyor%204mm_zpsxydbqkax.jpg

• Like 5

Hi, do you mean the 7mm PAA Tullis Russell wagon?  Yes I can make it available on shapeways, 

Hi, yes I can also make this available on shapeways but have not printed one myself in 7mm.  I did receive my 4mm FUD model the other week and have managed to get a coat of primer on it.  Pictures below, some parts will need a smooth but the wooden body looks suited to the rough area left behind by the support material.

IMG_3931_zpszyak9qhq.jpg

IMG_3933_zpsrjfctv94.jpg

IMG_3934_zpspm5fyhiv.jpg

I've also had a go at drawing some other bits, the first one I've done is a grain conveyor - render below.

grain%20conveyor%204mm_zpsxydbqkax.jpg

No, I'm afraid I'd want the PGA variation you mentioned here in the first post: in 4mm, and with separate axle box springs, as I'm considering P4- it would be an easy way of springing them.

Edited by Class67005

I can make the 4mm PGA (I've drawn 3-4 versions of the redland wagon) available in 4mm but it wouldn't have the working suspension as only the 7mm version had that as a test and that was pushing the limits of what could be printed. It was a couple of years ago so I'll have a look at the suspension and see if anything is possible in 4mm.

One of the pages does have a picture of a 4mm Redland PGA I had printed in FUD.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1

I can make the 4mm PGA (I've drawn 3-4 versions of the redland wagon) available in 4mm but it wouldn't have the working suspension as only the 7mm version had that as a test and that was pushing the limits of what could be printed. It was a couple of years ago so I'll have a look at the suspension and see if anything is possible in 4mm.

One of the pages does have a picture of a 4mm Redland PGA I had printed in FUD.

Regards

Simon.

I would greatly appreciate it being made available. A thought to the suspension, maybe making individual springs from brass wire, or piano wire-I'm certainly no expert. It would be interesting to try.

Hi Simon,

been on to the Shapeway web site looking for all your 7mm Items for sale cant find anything. Have you set up a shop like wild boar models on there in 4mm have you got a link to your items at all

cheers Gaz

• 2 months later...

I have recently had a 7mm version of the J70 printed as shown below (scaled up from the 4mm version).  As it was larger I've printed some of the parts like window frames and buffers separately, it also has complete skirts fitted.

J70%207mm%20WSF_zpsknlgluzg.jpg

The model has the same detail as the 4mm version scaled upto 7mm and printed in WSF instead of FUD - with the scale up and change of material not many thicknesses needed changing.

I have also drawn and ordered a 4mm class 04 as a complete bodyshell to fit on the Bachmann chassis (test printing in HDA) and scaled it up so it could be printed in 7mm.

Class%2004%20cad%203_zpsktoigkwj.jpg

Class%2004%20cad%202_zpsu244ctcu.jpg

Class%2004%20cad%201_zpsp0pphcmg.jpg

I got a 7mm version of the grain conveyor printed in WSF to see what it looked like, picture below has some wire attached to represent the drive belt.

Grain%20conveyor%207mm_zpsi6edfccy.jpg

Carrying on from the conveyor I've drawn a newer conveyor (that should be useful for loading Polybulks) and an old style elevator.

Conveyor%20new%207mm_zpsdqpsgugu.png

Conveyor%20old%207mm_zpsadtwhjy2.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...