God Bless my Eyes! :o

I was just going through the "Modelfair" website to check up on their pricing..... Well I know that Hornby seems to be a little pricey but can someone please explain to me as to why Modelfair shows the actual price (RRP) much much higher than what even Hornby shows on their website? And then put it up as an OFFER.... OK I've seen this happen in retailers in India with food items. But why has modelfair not checked their prices? I don't think Hornby can be blamed for communicating the incorrect prices (because other retailers have it correct and secondly the prices are easily seen on the Hornby website)

Have a look at these links

http://www.modelfair.com/sector/41/locomotives?Brands=1015&p=1

http://www.modelfair.com/sector/42/coaches?Brands=1015

I think to be fair to any retailer Hornby are forever changing their prices. They changed the price of their track a while ago and any retailer that had stock of that track was left in a situation that they were selling it at cost. Maybe one of the reasons why we are losing our model shops. I see even Hattons appear to have put up their prices for Hornby items. Hornby were selling the Flight of the Mallard set at Christmas for £160, I bought it as it was the only way to get a Mallard that wasn't DCC chipped.. It is now on their website at £149.99p and not even showing as a price reduction. I presume the retailers who bought them don't get a refund on what they paid for them when Hornby puts the price down.

Well you seem to have answered to something else. It is quite easy to see such inaccurate pricing. Your answer is barely related to what I've posted.

I've clearly posted about such a big difference in a price and something that is untrue.

Nowhere does it say or even imply that the higher price shown is MRP or RRP...

What it should indicate is that is the price previously charged by Modelfair for I think at least 28 days. If that is more than Hornby state as their MRP, well Modelfair are free to charge what they want.

If you don't like it shop around, but if you have any issue it is with Modelfair and their pricing policy not with Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

Nowhere does it say or even imply that the higher price shown is MRP or RRP...

What it should indicate is that is the price previously charged by Modelfair for I think at least 28 days. If that is more than Hornby state as their MRP, well Modelfair are free to charge what they want.

If you don't like it shop around, but if you have any issue it is with Modelfair and their pricing policy not with Hornby.

Exactly so - Hornby pricing currently seems to be heading for an even more complex jungle (unless things change in the coming week or two) and the only way to establish what something will actually cost you is to do as advised by the most recent posts above and shop around and find the deal which best suits you.  The new Hornby catalogue comes without a price list so effectively there is no longer an MRP or RRP for Hornby railway items although their website will at least show you what Hornby is charging at the time you look at it.

What individual retailers charge will no doubt be up to them - if they still happen to be selling Hornby (and that depends, it would seem for some, on T&Cs which have still to be issued let alone clarified).

Never said I don't like it... just wanted to know why MF put up a false exaggerated price. I never had an issue with Hornby in my life I clearly asked why has MF put up the wrong price (charge what Hornby charge and say it's on offer)

"Please note, we have made several amendments to our pricing policies for 2014 in a bid to make them easier to understand. "

Direct quote from an e-mail received from Hornby on December 13th 2013, just prior to the 2014 range announcements. No further comment M'Lud.

Well you seem to have answered to something else. It is quite easy to see such inaccurate pricing. Your answer is barely related to what I've posted.

I've clearly posted about such a big difference in a price and something that is untrue.

I'd suggest that if a post doesn't strike you as entirely relevant, skim read it and move on.  

Tetchy responses (to someone with a post count of 4 when I looked) might put some people off replying.

This is a hobby forum, let's keep it lighthearted and upbeat hey :sungum:

I do think the OP has a point.

Modelfair do need to be careful with what they describe as an "Offer"

Hornby have not set any RRPs this year, and the items shown have not yet been released, so could not have been on sale previously at the higher price.

There is a risk that the advertising could be deemed as misleading, as nowhere does it specify the terms what constitutes an offer.

The rules are very clear - The reduction must be against a previously offered price, or against an MSRP. 

In this case, no benchmark is provided, so could be deemed misleading by the ASA.

• RMweb Gold

It "could" be misleading,but then again anyone with any sense should know the value of things before they buy them....A bit like not going to a Tesco Metro when even the local Spar is cheaper :O

Very true Mickey but in the case of Hornby this year the only way you can get any sort of comparative pricing information is to look at various retailer websites or Hornby's own site (or if you don't have 'net access you look in the printed magazines).  The whole thing is - as I posted above - becoming an even more complex jungle in which, as you say, one has to shop around if your aim is to find the lowest price.

As far as Modelfair's ad is concerned it is clearly somewhat on the dodgy side as Gareth has highlighted.  And taking that further as I see it things are changing in such a way that no retailer will any longer be able to advertise 'X% saving' or whatever unless it is a reduction on their own previous price in accordance with the conditions of Sale of Goods legislation.

I do think the OP has a point.

Modelfair do need to be careful with what they describe as an "Offer"

Hornby have not set any RRPs this year, and the items shown have not yet been released, so could not have been on sale previously at the higher price.

There is a risk that the advertising could be deemed as misleading, as nowhere does it specify the terms what constitutes an offer.

The rules are very clear - The reduction must be against a previously offered price, or against an MSRP. 

In this case, no benchmark is provided, so could be deemed misleading by the ASA.

Yes, you actually understood what I am trying to say. I am in no way bashing MF. But the prices they show (original price) is many pounds higher than what Hornby offer direct. Added to that MF have listed many items as an offer. But those prices are either at par with Hornby prices or even more in some cases. The info isn't clear at all and is misleading.

What I had a issue with is why only MF seems to have this error through out the entire Hornby range? Hattons, Olivias Trains, Rails of Sheffield etc. charge as they always have i.e. with a slight discount. Why is it that MF have a totally different price displayed and something that doesn't even match Hornby's? The price scratched out is supposed to indicate the actual price, that is way higher than Hornby's price.

others who think I want to purchase a model

Well I do not want to purchase any model, I just wanted to know why MF display a price that is even higher than Hornby's price. It is surely something that cannot be counted as a mistake as their original prices are far to high compared to Hornby's price.

• RMweb Gold

I think,judging by the copious amount of verbiage expended on this topic ,the subject has now been exhaustively aired.....to what purpose,I remain somewhat mystified,as its author clearly has no intention of purchasing any goods from Modelfair.We are all aware of the phrase 'caveat emptor' and there are other retailers now being cavalier with pricing policy. Another Latin phrase.....'O tempora,O mores'......

others who think I want to purchase a model

Well I do not want to purchase any model, I just wanted to know why MF display a price that is even higher than Hornby's price. It is surely something that cannot be counted as a mistake as their original prices are far to high compared to Hornby's price.

Perhaps it was this statment in your OP??

I was just going through the "Modelfair" website to check up on their pricing.....

If not with the intention to purchase any model then why would you feel the need to "check up on their pricing"? Looking for issues to deliberately stir up trouble on internet fora perhaps...

Perhaps it was this statment in your OP??

If not with the intention to purchase any model then why would you feel the need to "check up on their pricing"? Looking for issues to deliberately stir up trouble on internet fora perhaps...

It isn't very uncommon to just run through the lists and see which shop just to see how their prices vary after Hornby recently announced a change in their poilicies.

OK and even if I do intend on buying something, I simply noticed that MF displayed incorrect prices and I asked why?

• 1 month later...

I understand your point HornbyFAN....

Seeing as they haven't replied to you I took the liberty of contacting them. Maybe your email was lost in cyber space :P Anyways here is what I got.

"Hi , many thanks for your observations , as you must be aware Hornby did not issue any RRP's or make there new pricing policy well known when the 2014 range was announced in December( in fact Hornby have just issued RRP's to-day!! ) we therefore used a calculation based on past years to work out what the RRP would likely to be,we will be changing these in due course.

Many Thanks and Regards.
Nick."

IMO it was wrong of them to just put up a price based on a calculation. Nick stated that they got the price-list. I still don't see any changes as I received this email 4 days ago. Hornby's RRP is much lower and MF shouldn't keep that extremely high RRP and then their price as it does indeed portray a large discount and can confuse many international customers or those who are not aware of the satisfaction of looking around first and then buying.

I was just going through the "Modelfair" website to check up on their pricing..... Well I know that Hornby seems to be a little pricey but can someone please explain to me as to why Modelfair shows the actual price (RRP) much much higher than what even Hornby shows on their website? And then put it up as an OFFER.... OK I've seen this happen in retailers in India with food items. But why has modelfair not checked their prices? I don't think Hornby can be blamed for communicating the incorrect prices (because other retailers have it correct and secondly the prices are easily seen on the Hornby website)

Have a look at these links

http://www.modelfair.com/sector/41/locomotives?Brands=1015&p=1

http://www.modelfair.com/sector/42/coaches?Brands=1015

• 1 month later...

Sorry to change tack a bit on this one. But what about a shop that says it has new models in and willing to take your money, even if the models have not even been released from Hornby yet?.

Darren

Archived