Corrugated roof scratch building

Thanks allan! He will be pleased somebody mentioned it.

He did everything apart from the windows, which I did and they took me ages..

No, he was very patient and he stuck all the brick sheets and embossed plastic onto the card I cut and then wanted to draw the windows so I got the sticky labels out and let him have a go. It now sits on his layout and is the pride of the street :)

Now building the walls for the workshop. What a pain!

The brick courses must match at the corner for when I fill the gaps. This is the third attempt at glueing these two sides together and it's as good as it will get. When I fill the corners hopefully it will be disguised......

Bricks are made from the filler/scribe method. post-21051-0-33993300-1391175366_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, the workshop is on its way.

All four walls have been cut, with the window and door still left to do. I have done a test fit with masking tape and all has been sanded with less than a half millimetre tolerance so I'm happy with that. The corners need to be filled anyway.

post-21051-0-92247500-1391265062_thumb.jpg

I have also test fitted the roof pieces and they are all good too.

post-21051-0-05764100-1391265074_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-61292200-1391265089_thumb.jpg

Also, my son has been pestering me about posting his own efforts, so here it is (with a little help from yours truly of course);

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bless, he's only five. Lets keep the hobby alive I say!

If you put that on the "Me experience" Thread, I wouldn't have to look far for a winner !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Okay, so I have made a lot of noise with my dremel and covered the carpet with dust but I have cut out the doorway and sanded it into shape.

post-21051-0-21432900-1391380149_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-18328400-1391380160_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-43471800-1391380167_thumb.jpg

I have also scribed the recess ready for the doorframe which will sit about 1mm back from the wall.

post-21051-0-64993900-1391380176_thumb.jpg

Opened up my plastic embossed sheet drawer in my office/workshop and lo and behold; plastic embossed bricks. I for got I had these, but I will never use then because the scale is too big. The bricks are 1.5mm high instead of 1mm. Over about 25 courses they will run out in scale to almost 2 feet! My modellers OCD is bubbling up.

post-21051-0-23904800-1391386343_thumb.jpg

I have added the doorframe. The last two images have been colour filtered in photoshop to give the appearance of them being painted. Looks pleasing!post-21051-0-73459300-1391386436_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-53902000-1391386510_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-28333000-1391386522_thumb.jpg

Some absolutely lovely stuff here.  That you get the young 'un involved is really happy too!

Just to check, and sorry if I'm being dense, but what is the clear material you are using for the corrugated sections?  I've always found it a little difficult to get my clear plastic to stay in shape.

brilliant stuff Peter. I especially like the fact your son is having a go. My son is 6 and he always likes to join in when I'm doing a bit of modelling. He was helping to weather my Goods shed roof the other day. He's not the only one either… my daughter (10) likes to try her hand at scribing bricks too :)

Some absolutely lovely stuff here.  That you get the young 'un involved is really happy too!

Just to check, and sorry if I'm being dense, but what is the clear material you are using for the corrugated sections?  I've always found it a little difficult to get my clear plastic to stay in shape.

Thanks, yeah the boy loves getting stuck in, I'm lucky, if he liked football I would have to force myself to like it for his sake. But he doesn't!

The sheets are made from plastic from a plastic tray of peaches from coop. Next time I'm going to use ohp acetone as it is a little thinner and will look more crisp! If you look at the right hand "skylight" the plastic has lost it's profile slightly but should be hidden under the central roof cover.....

brilliant stuff Peter. I especially like the fact your son is having a go. My son is 6 and he always likes to join in when I'm doing a bit of modelling. He was helping to weather my Goods shed roof the other day. He's not the only one either… my daughter (10) likes to try her hand at scribing bricks too :)

Thanks for your comments. I ha d a look at your blog; that station with the canopy looks rather tasty!

Thanks Peter, that was more hours than I care to add up to scribe! I've still not finished it yet either. I took it upon myself to wash over it with a light grey pointing wash this weekend and have made a bit of a mess :( I shall now have to spend a few hours re-weathering.

Thanks, yeah the boy loves getting stuck in, I'm lucky, if he liked football I would have to force myself to like it for his sake. But he doesn't!

The sheets are made from plastic from a plastic tray of peaches from coop. Next time I'm going to use ohp acetone as it is a little thinner and will look more crisp! If you look at the right hand "skylight" the plastic has lost it's profile slightly but should be hidden under the central roof cover.....

Thanks for that, very useful.  I'll store it away for future builds - I've decided to go a bit urban & gritty for a segment of whatever I make next!

My lad started playing Rugby (my great sporting love & how I met his Mother) this summer and thankfully loves it.  We have a great time bonding together over it as I coach his team on a Sunday.  Sadly his School is onto football this term and if anything he is better at it than at Rugby.  

Even at a Prep School the boys are just obsessed with it and it is just about his sole topic of conversation and (with the exception of Top Gear) the only thing he wants to watch on TV!  It is going to be a long term until they move on to cricket...

I never mentioned this before, but while I said that the plastic came from fruit packaging, it was clear originally. I coated it with 3 medium coats of Matt laquer from a spray can to frost it, and weathered it with yellow weathering powder. Just thought you shoul know!

I never mentioned this before, but while I said that the plastic came from fruit packaging, it was clear originally. I coated it with 3 medium coats of Matt laquer from a spray can to frost it, and weathered it with yellow weathering powder. Just thought you shoul know!

Thanks very much again, you could have solved a dilemma of mine.  I am trying to find a way to obscure the glass on this:

IMG_2419.JPG

I want it to look a bit like this:

Low%2520Relief%2520Factory%2520Project.j

The main reason is that as it's low relief & I have a thing about illuminating my buildings. I couldn't work out a way to do so without having to make an interior, so some sort of frosting was going to be the way ahead but i was scratching my head about what kind!

Archived