Corrugated roof scratch building

Seeing as I'm getting ready to paint the brickwork I thought I should tidy my workstation. Not allowed to paint with solvent based paints anywhere other than here due to the whiff. So no more living room floor! At least I have my pc to stick a film on whilst I work. More for the noise than anything as I don't look away from my modelling at all!

Note my reference pictures on the wall, I took these yesterday at blists hill Victorian village in ironbridge. If you ever get a chance to go then do it. Expensive to get in but very interesting.

post-21051-0-21858600-1391969549_thumb.jpg

Pete

Seconded, that looks really very good!

Edited to add:

Dad, the Civil Engineer, used to take me off on little trips that were fun and educational once my Sister was born.  I suspect part of this was to make me feel special after the arrival of a second child, and because we had free first-class travel we only had to worry about entry fees.

I still remember our visit to Ironbridge back in the late '70s, what great fun.  Must try to persuade TLHC that a staycation is a good idea, or at least a break up in my old stamping grounds - I was at University in Brum & spent a long time in the industrial heartland and Shropshire for social, educational & TA reasons...

Thanks to you too!

They have actors in all the shops and houses at Blists Hill. Confused the boy a lot. He kept asking how it felt to be "so old".....I spent a good 10 minutes talking to a lady in her cottage about hoew the fireplace was used to cook food as well. Such a more rustic way of life than todays cr*p.

Some lovely examples of steam machinery and architecture alike. My favourite part was the foundry where all the iron was melted down. The photo doesn't really do it justice - it's a huge area full of interesting bits and bobs that you can't go near!

post-21051-0-00651700-1391972719_thumb.jpg

Seeing as I'm getting ready to paint the brickwork I thought I should tidy my workstation. Not allowed to paint with solvent based paints anywhere other than here due to the whiff. So no more living room floor! At least I have my pc to stick a film on whilst I work. More for the noise than anything as I don't look away from my modelling at all!

Note my reference pictures on the wall, I took these yesterday at blists hill Victorian village in ironbridge. If you ever get a chance to go then do it. Expensive to get in but very interesting.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Pete

Blimey Peter, my work station/tip doesn't look anything like that - mind you, start working in Colron, Fire Cement and Talc and your's won't either !

Cheers.

Allan.

I didn't post the before shot................trust me, yours is a modellers paradise compared to how mine was, I'm talking Stalingrad circa 1942 here hence the photo and the pride!

Might even get praise off the missus. Then again......

Anyway, here is the door side of the workshop. The rest remians unpainted. My patience got the better of me and instead of painting the whole thing in stages I did the full works to one side.

Ooops.

Petepost-21051-0-48929700-1391988943_thumb.jpg

Pete

Wow, Pete.

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, this is absolutely blo**y lovely. I look forward to seeing your updates as it really is GREAT modelling. I wish I was modelling brick now :)

I'm currently repainting my station building - I think I must be nuts

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75832-farnley-burton-goods-shed-finished/?p=1339605

Wow, Pete.

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, this is absolutely blo**y lovely. I look forward to seeing your updates as it really is GREAT modelling. I wish I was modelling brick now :)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75832-farnley-burton-goods-shed-finished/?p=1339605

- I am - you don't! :jester:

Painting and detailing Skaledale tce  place-keepers. The brick texture is very poor which makes it a nightmare.

Thanks.

Almost! I don't blame you for your choice of words. Bricks are lovely if they go right. But it's time. I think all in all this build took 20 hours although the last gable wall took me little more than 15 minutes to paint so I think I have a system down now. The scribing and sanding is by far the most time consuming.

post-21051-0-81051500-1392281979_thumb.jpg

Pete

That came out ll wrong!  What I meant was that your work in the bricks is inspiring, but also intimidating.

I've had a bash before at scribing on card, using tea packets & basics of a method I found here on RMWeb.  It came out like this (sorry, camera phone pics):

Pendon%2520Bricks%2520Scribing.jpg

Pendon%2520Bricks%2520Scale.jpg

Pendon%2520Bricks%2520Dried.jpg

A subsequent attempt went badly wrong when I used too much watercolour paint for the mortar courses and the whole lot just disintegrated!  I have since invested in watercolour gouache to do the bricks themselves as per the tea packet method.  

It's just a question of time, really.  I suspect that now I have no layout to put stuff on and the existing one is nearly full it may be a case of quality over quantity & I will have another bash.  I intend to do my cattle dock like this, so watch this space!

The way of doing it is here,  Pete.  I never got beyond the scribing stage before setting out freelance with my watercolours!  I just love the idea of putting the white spirit over the gouache to make a cracked finish.

The colours I used were from a childhood paintbox I rescued from a box in the attic.  Amazing what I've been finding which has become useful in modelling!

I have finally finished my workshop. I am going to take some nice outdoor photos tomorrow if I get home in time. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers.

One happy modeller :D

I see Peter that youv'e done the complete opposite - taken a real building and photoshopped it into your workshop!!

Nothing new though, Robinson does it all the time.

Cheers.

Allan

Poor Robinson, is this the overflow car park for "anything you can do"? :D

You're right. It is a real building. I built a gigantic model kitchen around it in 32:1 scale.

Had a 75 foot tree go over this week. It broke the neighbours garden in half and a bunch of Aussies escaped from the crack. Trying to round them up is proving tricky, as soon as I have I will photoshop your house....

My last photos for this thread. I have most enjoyed building this model, which is my first and only finished attempt at scribing brickwork on a full building. As I have no railway I am going to keep this aside for future potential as a demo model for my blog.

Let me know your thoughts guys. I would like to hear constructive criticism and ideas as to what could have made this a better build as your opinions are the ones that count for the most :)

Thanks for following and for all the nice comments too.

Cheers!

Pete

post-21051-0-25878200-1392591681_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-06591000-1392591729_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-46308700-1392591708_thumb.jpgpost-21051-0-47553400-1392591807_thumb.jpg

My last photos for this thread. I have most enjoyed building this model, which is my first and only finished attempt at scribing brickwork on a full building. As I have no railway I am going to keep this aside for future potential as a demo model for my blog.

Let me know your thoughts guys. I would like to hear constructive criticism and ideas as to what could have made this a better build as your opinions are the ones that count for the most :)

Thanks for following and for all the nice comments too.

Cheers!

Pete

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well Peter, how can anyone possibly suggest improvements on that, it's perfection in miniature - stunning.

So, your last photo's for this thread you say, well I hope they're not your last photo's period, your contributions are an inspiration to all - so let's not hear any more about  'last photo's' !!!

Cheers.

Allan

Archived