PaulWarb

Some members may remember Beeches TMD - it was featured in BRM and Traction magazine a few years ago.  Although the layout’s website no longer exists a few videos remain on Youtube.    It was sold a couple of years ago and the proceeds are helping to finance a new layout.  Beeches TMD was a learning curve, it’s scenic aspects were I think one of its strengths.   A number of folk have asked me to make buddleias for them after seeing the plants cropping up in the layout!   

I am now nearing retirement.   A while ago we had had our garage converted into a new room.   For a while it was a mix of a study and general purpose room while teenage children were still at home.  Now though it has become the home to a new layout that I have called Chesterfield.   It takes its inspiration from the area around Chester station and Macclesfield.  That sounds a bit odd but I am not specifically modelling either of the areas.  I hope to combine interesting scenic aspects of both areas that appeal to me.  The era is late 1990’s to the present so it is a modern image layout, DCC and all the locomotives have sound decoders.   One of the main differences is that this will be a layout with a complete loop not an end to end.   It will also be refreshing to be able to run longer trains as the layout is much larger.

A new website is beginning to take shape ........ 

https://chesterfielddcc.vpweb.com/

I hope to keep this updated and to periodically also add to this thread.   Sorry if progress seems slow - I hope it will speed up once I have retired!!  For the moment here is one recent photo showing a very small part of the layout.  The plan is only a broad idea that I am working too – I like to lay the track out and tweak it a bit while I am going along.  If something doesn’t look as if it’s going to work very well, then changes will be made.

med_gallery_7099_4519_58553.png

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...

Well at last some significant progress with Chesterfield.  The following photos show all the usual paraphernalia (sorry about that) when constructing a layout but also show progress to date.  There is now one complete loop of track and another almost finished - you may spot the gap.  Wiring is at an advanced stage with most of the track shown now electrified with four power districts.  Great excitement just before Christmas day as a Class 57 was the first loco to complete the loop!!  The Voyager aIso travelled successfully round the layout taking the curves well without problems.  I hope to take a video soon showing a loco completing the circuit. 

The track is raised as there is one section where there will be a small canal basin as at Northgate Locks near Chester.  

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.e75b191ad4393f3c9b37899994828e52.JPG

The lower level will also be reflected in a smaller drop in front of the station and on the inside of the curves at the right end of the layout.  I wanted to have more variation in height on this layout too compared with Beeches TMD.

I hope to finish laying the track soon, including a fiddle yard area (I'm planning to try part of this under the scenery.  I have started to add the point motors /servos - the first one worked well.       

1412138261_Pointmotor-1(1).jpg.787e1aeb833cd312f292a9e7c3ccef76.jpg

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 7

Looks to be a very good start on this project but do you not think the name may imply its in another town with a crooked spire? rather than being based on a mix of Macclesfield and Chester?

Thank you - yes I agree - I thought of that - but liked the name!!  It's impossible in the space I have to model these real life locations exactly so I am really taking inspiration from these areas - there will be various ingredients that will have to be adapted and modified in a layout this size.

• Like 1

Hello Paul

Good to see you making some progress....

That's a decent sized platform isn't it, liking the flowing curves too.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply.  I wanted platforms that would take some longer trains - Voyagers etc.  Also - as at Chester - sections that would be for more local DMUs.  It's not going to be a perfect copy of Chester but there will be some obvious similarities.  There are largish curves at one end at Chester - also a bit like Shrewsbury.

Edited by PaulWarb

• 3 years later...

Well at last another post.  Maybe I flatter myself that many looked at the earlier posts about Chesterfield - but - if you did (thanks) here is an update.  You may have thought I had left the planet but no I'm still here!!

Firstly I am in the process of developing a new website - the link that probably didn't work for a while at the begining of this thread should work now and take you to the new site. 

The layout has developed considerably since the last posts.  Below are a few photos with some comments.  For those who might be interested I guess the main developments are as follows ...

• Changed from Cobalt point motors to servos and using megapoints controllers. 
  • Control panel almost finished

So - related to this - all point motors working with green / red direction indication LEDs on the panel.  The other switches on the   

panel are for signals.

Panel complete.jpg

• Some signals in place using CR Signals and Heathcote infra red controls (with override switches on the control panel)
  • Ballasting and all of the track painted
  • Quite a lot of scenic work carried out - on the cutting, a row of terraced houses and the canal lock area. 
  • Backscene added - although this needs further work. 

• And one most important development - I can run trains now over most of the layout!

Well there you go.  Tons more to do but as said a bit of an update.  I plan to take more photos soon and provide somewhat more frequent updates (yes - I know heard that before - I will try harder!!).  As more photos are added it will give you a better idea of the progress that has been made. 

IMG_4237.thumb.JPG.39fff4f02599c91c55987c67809c7460.JPG

Small part of the station area with a Hornby Network Rail Measurment Train

2076834782_IMG_4234(1).thumb.JPG.41ce746fcd0461e91cad316e9b05ae8d.JPG 

Small part of canal basin - locks and bridge loosely based on Northate Locks near Chester.   There is a very high lock gate!

Houses.thumb.png.7064dc8e7c88093704990b6d83e4cd13.png 

The terraced houses are from the Bachmann Scenecraft range - although they have been changed somewhat including a few repainted front doors and front gardens added - I hope to add some close ups soon - including a chap cutting the hedge (you can see clippings at the moment but no cutting going on (maybe gone in for a cup of tea!!).

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 4

Like the houses and the lock steps.

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks - I am looking forward to finishing painting this area and making it look much more realistic.  I'm also hoping to take some better photos with a flash diffuser.

I dropped in here as I live in Chesterfield, however it turned out to be something completely different! Which is odd. However great modelling and I shall follow with interest!

I dropped in here as I live in Chesterfield, however it turned out to be something completely different! Which is odd. However great modelling and I shall follow with interest!

Hi

Sorry for the confusion!!  Have a look back at the beginning of this thread and all will be revealed.

Basically - I liked the name!!

Edited by PaulWarb

• 7 months later...

Finally managed to get some better lighting for the photography - all being well some more updates to follow soon showing progress with the layout.  Let me know if you like the photos too!!!

You will see stages of this area earlier in the thread.  I have been completing work in the background in order to complete signalling and details etc in the foreground area.    It is not finished yet (track painting to be completed and some details to the vegetation - also small building to be made yet for the yard))   but shows some scenic work that has been done. 

The next photo shows some items that may interest - the area of rosebay willow herb (that's what it's supposed to be!!!).   A buddleja bush - more being made!  Try and spot the chap cutting his hedge - hope to add a close up shortly. 

Terraces jpeg.jpg

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

This has been an interesting project during lockdown.  Had fun with making the shops (still some finishing touches needed) but added an electronic billboard on one end.   This was made with the help of my very IT savvy son in law and an LCD screen.    I hope to add a video soon so you can see the posters / adverts dissolving on the screen - looks really cool!

Shops.png

Edited by PaulWarb

• 2 months later...

A couple of entries ago I promised a video of the electronic display / billboard board working.  I am trying to insert a link so that you can view the video.  I hope this works ....

https://youtu.be/8Esqj2DdxHE

This part of the layout is still very much in progress - hence the building hanging over the edge!!!   Each advert is on the board for a much longer period before a change - I have speeded this up a bit so that you can view a few changes to get a better impression of the working board. 

Edited by PaulWarb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some progress near the locks.   Working from back to front - garden coming on around lock keepers house.  Added trellis yesterday and today and climbing roses (although need to add flowers).     Lots to do still - including of course adding water, building to complete top left.

Shot of my Hornby re liveried 60033 Tees Steel Express pulling a rake of EWS Coalfish wagons. 

CORUS 60 a.jpg

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Amazing new tamper - great addition to my rolling stock on Chesterfield.   I'll add some more photos and details in due course - see if I can get some good night shots - the lighting is to be seen to be believed!!!

Tamper 2 med.jpg

Edited by PaulWarb

Started work a few weeks ago on the station buildings - and a low relief shop - most of the photos above are on the other side of the layout.    There is still a lot to do here - culminating in the painting and weathering.   The plan is to add a car park, turning / drop off area for taxis in front of the station and a bus stopping area to the right of the station entrance.   There is also some work to do on the backscene to add views through the gaps in the buildings to what lies beyond. 

The John Lewis building has working lighting - although this needs some finishing touches.   If you wish to guess how the front of the building was finished let me know - see if you can recognise the product that has been adapted - I will confirm if it's right.  

IMG_0557 (2).JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

Edited by PaulWarb
  • Like 3

One thing I did during the pandemic is to redo my layout's website.   Very helpfully (!!!) my website provider packed up and I had to move to another company.

Here is the link to then new site (this has also been changed in the opening entry in this thread).

https://chesterfielddcc.vpweb.com/

Hopefully adding some more photos soon and a video.