East Wickersham

hoover50008

Hi Folks

I thought it was time to share Wickersham East Yard with you.

The layout is based in an urban area in the south of England and is basically on 2 levels.  The upper level will be a 3rd rail single line with a unit service shuttling back and forth, the lower level will be an engineers/S&T yard as non revenue earning wagons are another of my interests.  The lower level will be DCC controlled

Inspiration for the layout came from john Long's Bishop Street Yard.

The base boards are constructed of 6mm plywood tops on a 2x1 frame. The front of the layout is encased to form a frame.  Overall the layout measures 8ftx16".

post-6517-0-06186500-1390771968_thumb.jpg

I have now brought the layout home from the railway club so will take some more pictures and update on a regular basis.

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 4

That looks good mate and I will be interested to see it develop. I am just collecting some more engineers wagons and have just bought a NSE 33 and some 50's for a yard layout like my old Kingsmill Engineers Yard, (see link below). I will follow with interest as I was born in Plymouth, but many hundreds of years ago, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahha

Andy :sungum:

That looks good mate and I will be interested to see it develop. I am just collecting some more engineers wagons and have just bought a NSE 33 and some 50's for a yard layout like my old Kingsmill Engineers Yard, (see link below). I will follow with interest as I was born in Plymouth, but many hundreds of years ago, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  hahha

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andrew, I have a few kits to build as well which I will get around to in the scheme of things.

Looking forward to the Dapol 73 and new Heljan 33 should fit in well although I wish Hornby would produce the 09 in BR Blue.

E

looking good ive just built something around the same size and idea

im  goin run my top with a time table with a e-link so link a shuttle

i have also opted to have a go around the back that connects to a 360 4 track fiddle 

will follow with interest ps you always get more done at home 

cheers ian 

• Like 1

As the weather was so bad over the weekend I managed to get a bit done on the backscenes.  I opted to use scenes from the Townscene range, rather than sticking the whole scene on I decided to cut around the outline of the buildings and stick these directly to the back boards using Tacky Glue.  This worked quite well and didn't have any issues with air bubbles etc.

post-6517-0-33075200-1390841801.jpg

As i am hoping to give an urban feel I opted to have tenemant buildings overlooking the yard aka Ranleigh Bridge and to give a bit of depth I have stuck buildings on top of buildings which seems to work reasonably well.

post-6517-0-26205400-1390841760.jpg

To give a flavour of what I am trying to achieve I posed my 2 EPB on the layout.

post-6517-0-39288900-1390841898.jpg

I built the Metcalfe small factory over the Christmas period as I thought the small building suited the requirement for an S&T workshop.  I had hoped to use the tall building to hide the entrance to the left hand fiddle yard but I am not convinced it really suits now.

post-6517-0-65428600-1390842065.jpg

Next I will move on to construct the retaining wall that will run around the back of the yard.

E

• Like 2

looking good ive just built something around the same size and idea

im  goin run my top with a time table with a e-link so link a shuttle

i have also opted to have a go around the back that connects to a 360 4 track fiddle 

will follow with interest ps you always get more done at home 

cheers ian 

Agreed to much chat and people getting in the way, surprising how much you can get done in half an hour here and there at home.

E

Agreed to much chat and people getting in the way, surprising how much you can get done in half an hour here and there at home.

E

I know that feeling my local model club is 5 mins walk and is on the top floor of a working mans club. I go have a natter a few pints and before you know it I've had 4 pints and the layout it sat there. So now I go there to get away from the misses.

• Like 1

Have been busy making the retaining wall that runs along the rear of the yard.  This was made from mainly 5mm foam board covered in A4 self adhesive labels with elements of the Scalescenes brick retaining wall printed on them.  The parapet wall caping and plinths are made from 2mm stiff card covered in the same way.

post-6517-0-23552000-1391532898.jpg

post-6517-0-50599700-1391532883.jpg

post-6517-0-14475200-1391532859.jpg

I have yet to tackle the wall on the other side of the layout but will address that when I get the bridge in place.

E

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy plodding on with the retaining wall and this is virtually complete now.

post-6517-0-50332500-1392741214.jpg

post-6517-0-42208800-1392741216.jpg

The exit bridge to the fiddle yard caused a bit of a headache as it is a bit close to the join in the base board really risking damage if it gets transported.  I am reasonably happy with it now although I still need to decide if I will use bricks or plate girders for the top.

post-6517-0-51393400-1392741215.jpg

I am also considering a small urban station where the DMU is sat something akin to Bromley North although this will depend on the ease of getting the 3rd rail under the bridge.  Nothing like forward planning!!!

post-6517-0-69910700-1392741217.jpg

E

• Like 1

looking good ive noticed you have a 3 way point and just wondering have you thought about point control i have also have a 3 way on newchapel have have gone for a 3 way push button so which ever way the point is it will only go the way and it works great i was goin to go with a point decorder but chose toggle switch as i can opparate with one hand and the points box is at the other side of me . .having took it to the club last week to try its works great and i am also next to the viewers so chatting is easier

. . ..

cheers ian

looking good ive noticed you have a 3 way point and just wondering have you thought about point control i have also have a 3 way on newchapel have have gone for a 3 way push button so which ever way the point is it will only go the way and it works great i was goin to go with a point decorder but chose toggle switch as i can opparate with one hand and the points box is at the other side of me . .having took it to the club last week to try its works great and i am also next to the viewers so chatting is easier

. . ..

cheers ian

Hi Ian

Funny enough I have just removed the 3 way point after discussions on another thread because apparently they weren't very common on the SR in electrified areas.  I have modified the trackwork to accommodate this and will post some picture later.  To be honest this suits me as I always struggle as well to get them thrown the way I want to go, however i would have used a stud and pencil rather than a switch probably.

E

• Like 1

AS promised some pictures of the modified track layout.

The 2EPB is sat where the single platform is going to be and the rear siding where the brake van is situated will now be the head shunt for accessing the dockyard beyond the bridge.

post-6517-0-41771200-1393345006.jpg

post-6517-0-30720800-1393345007.jpg

The mainline will now come in from the R/H board which will now have a fiddle yard attached.  This will be 3rd rail and run only in to the platform and carriage siding.  The line to the Dockyard and the line across the top will be non electrified.

I have also progressed the top of the rear retaining wall which has turned out quite well.  Again it is 5mm foam board covered in Scalescenes red brick printed on self adhesive labels.

post-6517-0-51781600-1393345008.jpg

post-6517-0-83680800-1393345015.jpg

The other consideration at the moment is to reversing the name and changing to East Wickersham with possibly (Dockyard) after it but the jury is still out on this one at the moment.

E

• Like 1

Good progress Ian,

Are you planning to exhibit any time soon or are you bringing along to your show in June?

Hi mate

I am hoping to have it ready for the Plymouth show in June if I can keep myself motivated, if not ready then there are a couple of options later in the year which it may be ready for.

• Like 1

AS promised some pictures of the modified track layout.

The 2EPB is sat where the single platform is going to be and the rear siding where the brake van is situated will now be the head shunt for accessing the dockyard beyond the bridge.

attachicon.gifDSCF3027.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3028.jpg

The mainline will now come in from the R/H board which will now have a fiddle yard attached.  This will be 3rd rail and run only in to the platform and carriage siding.  The line to the Dockyard and the line across the top will be non electrified.

I have also progressed the top of the rear retaining wall which has turned out quite well.  Again it is 5mm foam board covered in Scalescenes red brick printed on self adhesive labels.

attachicon.gifDSCF3029.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3031.jpg

The other consideration at the moment is to reversing the name and changing to East Wickersham with possibly (Dockyard) after it but the jury is still out on this one at the moment.

E

Finally decided to drop the Yard and rename the layout East Wickersham suits the theme better now.

E

The PW Department has been busy this weekend renewing the wooden sleepered track on the main with concretes.  Also the wooden sleepers on the sidings and points have been given a fresh coat of creosote (grime).

post-6517-0-22355500-1393862008_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-63267800-1393862013_thumb.jpg

Also ordered a class 09 in BR Blue from Grimey Times so looking forward to that one arriving some time this week.

• Like 1

Been continuing with the wiring on the other board and that is progessing well.

Mod Podged the retaining wall at the weekend and that has come up great, it has really brought the colour out so very pleased with that.

Started to construct the new fiddle yard and will post some pictures in due course.

E

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been progressing slowly over the last 2 weeks or so but I have finally got the retaining wall glued in place, the bridge sorted and the wiring has got to the stage where the layout actually works.

post-6517-0-37480800-1395352972_thumb.jpg

The bridge is now in place.

post-6517-0-59045300-1395352998_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-69176800-1395353000_thumb.jpg

post-6517-0-08759400-1395353002_thumb.jpg

Retaining walls fixed in.

post-6517-0-52170900-1395352999_thumb.jpg

Spagetti Junction will get tidied up in due course.

E

• Like 2