92214 Cock of the North to stay at the GCR (Now Central Star) - Soon to be 92220 Evening Star

Wild Boar Fell

How can some of these kettles be authentic?  Some of them never had train brakes fitted, but they've been added in preservation to allow them to carry passengers and for people to froth about riding behind them, hell, the coal they burn is imported from America or Poland, the water is treated to reduced the hardness, the boilers are patched with modern materials that are close but not quite there, the tyres are replaced as required, the originals being scrapped years ago etc etc.

If you complain about the colour then by logical extent you need to be complaining about everything else.

Authentic, lets run them of 5/10 yrs and then stick them in a siding for 30 yrs to rust. Put diesels on the line and then close it due to not having the right passenger figures 7 days a week  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Authentic, lets run them of 5/10 yrs and then stick them in a siding for 30 yrs to rust. Put diesels on the line and then close it due to not having the right passenger figures 7 days a week  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I can think of a preserved railway being run along those very lines at the moment.

Looks brilliant. Dare I say as BR intended?! Now put it on the wind cutters. Beautiful thought that.

Wait until this weekend and she should be on the wind cutters I believe at some point (going off previous galas), as well as appearing in weathered condition.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Wait until this weekend and she should be on the wind cutters I believe at some point (going off previous galas), as well as appearing in weathered condition.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Not according to the timetables - in fact, the only mention of the windcutters appears to be one run Swithland to Loughborough late Sunday!

I think it looks fantastic (bar the wheels)

Can't make everyone happy can we?

Edit: I wonder how they did it? Will it be cleaned back to ex works afterwards?

Probably ash and other associated muck mixed with water and painted on, hence the 'uniform' look. It's normally quite simple to literally wash off.

Preserved locomotives will never be able to recreate genuine 'heavy weathering' unless they're not cleaned for many months and are constantly around other steam locos. Authentic steam loco grot was a mix of oil, grease, soot and road dirt and this heady mix embedded itself onto and into everything, especially around boiler bands, nuts, crevices and all protruding items such as domes,  handrail knobs, framework, brake rigging and the like. Basically it was the kind of horrible waxy crap that to properly put right required judicious use of a steam lance and a new paintjob.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dava,

The 8F is back in red, though may be having work done to the paintwork soon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

That's right, the weathering for the gala/photo charters was poster paint, it washes off. 92214 has also had this treatment previously (as mentioned above)

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/92214-Weathered-Andy-Bennett.jpg

Archived