Card Kits & Card Modelling Using Cereal Packets

Hi Guys

As some of you may know we've been playing around with a cutter recently with a view to offering our kits with the option of pre-cut card, but it's also enabled us to develop a few additional detailing kits that would be just too fiddly to cut with a knife... Here's a few of our recent experiments :)

Assorted gates made up using layered 0.7mm greyboard..

post-20808-0-53599800-1417763620_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-68069100-1417763613_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-05258700-1417763603_thumb.jpg

A couple of different types of fencing...

post-20808-0-73806700-1417763593_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-05121800-1417763573_thumb.jpg

Modern small bus shelter

post-20808-0-47521800-1417763582_thumb.jpg

Fire Hydrant, Gas & Electric Cable marker posts

post-20808-0-02541400-1417763561_thumb.jpg

Got loads more in the pipeline... But will get back onto hacking cereal packets shortly!

Cheers

Justin

Hello Justin your recent work particularly the cutter stuff looks very good.

I do have a disappointment though in that you still don't seem to have much choice in 0 gauge. I suppose I have to accept that the mass market will be for 4mm and that is where the money will be but of course if you made bigger [7mm 0 gauge] you could charge bigger too but maybe the quantities still wouldn't be enough to make it viable.

Ahh well back to enlarging some of your 4mm options and piecing them together again.

Regards

Hi Barnaby

Thanks for the kind words. It all comes down to time mostly to be honest. Although I have a cunning plan where that is concerned :)
We will be producing more O scale kits very soon I promise. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Thanks

Justin

Hello Justin your recent work particularly the cutter stuff looks very good.
I do have a disappointment though in that you still don't seem to have much choice in 0 gauge. I suppose I have to accept that the mass market will be for 4mm and that is where the money will be but of course if you made bigger [7mm 0 gauge] you could charge bigger too but maybe the quantities still wouldn't be enough to make it viable.

Ahh well back to enlarging some of your 4mm options and piecing them together again.

Regards

Yes some general industry small building/workshops that maybe could be stackable and silos suitable for oil/gas/cement etc.

I've been looking at your cement silo and considering enlarging it to suit.

Or maybe even having concrete sheets like brick sheets that I could use as wraparounds then affixed with suitable "bits" to bring it to life.

Thanks

Something new for O scale modern image modellers. I've just finished putting together a 7mm version of our Warehouse & Industrial Unit Signs pack S002. It comprises of 3 sheets of A3 with over 300 signs. The company name signs have been professionally drawn exclusively for our packs. The pack is available in both download and pre-printed format. The downloadable version features editable text on the Maximum Headroom signs :)

post-20808-0-95035300-1418134088.jpg

post-20808-0-50790700-1418134089.jpg

post-20808-0-97376200-1418134089.jpg

We'll have a N scale version available very soon too.

Morning all... Hope you're all getting in the mood for Christmas. I'm getting there but the Mrs is limiting the supplies of Mince Pies at the moment... Something about jeans and my waistline!

Anyway, we've just finished working on the O scale / 7mm version of the laser cut gates and I think they've turned out quite well. Ever so simple to make. Each one takes just a couple of minutes to assemble at most, and can be painted with artists acrylics etc.

post-20808-0-28627700-1418730339_thumb.jpg

Merry Christmas all!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Love the fencing and the gates, are these in oo only or are you considering releasing them in N as well?

best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon

Definitely looking at doing them in N gauge. I just need to source some slightly thinner card to try them with. The 0.7mm stuff will be a bit thick I think for N. Will experiment though as it only takes a few minutes to scale the design files for laser cutting.

Loving that Tetleys factory you posted! 

Thanks Black Sheep. That's a customers creation after letting his imagination run wild with the 1930's factory kit :)

Cheers

Justin

The one thing missing for me with the 30's factory is, I'd like to add a door, either a nice clean reception entrance or wooden doors into the workshop.

But then I'm not at the stage with layout building to be building large buildings yet.

One suggestion I do have is a brick sheet with decorative bands across it that can be wrapped arround a tin foil tube to create a chimney :)

'

Hi Simon

Definitely looking at doing them in N gauge. I just need to source some slightly thinner card to try them with. The 0.7mm stuff will be a bit thick I think for N. Will experiment though as it only takes a few minutes to scale the design files for laser cutting.

Thank you, I will keep an eye open then.

Best wishes

Simon

• 4 months later...

Morning all...  It's been yonks since I last posted... Been a bit up to our ears in a number of projects, but I thought I'd just post a little update on something we've been working on over the past couple of weeks.

We've had many requests for downloadable backscenes over the last year or so, and while I know lots of folks don't like the idea of lots of joins in a backscene, many would like the instantaneousness(?) of a downloadable one. So we've had a go at shooting a few sample ones and here's the first that we've decided to make available in A4 sheet sets.

The OO scale version is 2400mm wide, and the N scale version is 1200mm wide, so they're about the same size as the Gaugemaster ones.

post-20808-0-35656900-1432368052_thumb.jpg

It's only suitable for modern image layouts as it features a large warehouse, plus other industrial buildings in the distance, but we have many more planned that aren't tied to a specific era. Also for anyone that has access to a large format printer, we can supply the full image versions. We're also hoping to be able to offer these printed in 1200mm wide sections by the end of next week.

There's more info here for anyone that's interested.

Thanks & looking forward to your comments. Have a brilliant weekend.

Justin

• 4 months later...

Justin,

Any update on the downloadable backscenes, specifically one(s) that aren't modern image? I can get them printed at a variety of outlets here in the US, and would be interested in anything that's not got modern image items visible, including "cloudy sky", "townscape/row house backs in city surrounding" and plain "scenic" as you have above (minus the modern warehouse :) )

• 1 month later...

Having used Cereal Packets in the past as a source of thin card, which was typically grey and a bit flimsy, I though I would share a recent observation.  While tearing up an empty box to but on the log burner, I noticed it appeared to be much more resistant to being torn.  On closer inspection it would appear the the card had been produced using longer fibers and it felt more stiff rather than the soft grey card which looks more like pulp.  It was also a different colour,  rather then the normal light grey it was brown.

The boxes I have so far noticed this "new" card being used for are Asda own brand cereal boxes, but I guess it may be found in others.

Overall, we've had no real problems with any of the cereal packets we've used in our prototypes. Whilst they do vary from brand to brand, once laminated up into thicker sheets as instructed with our kits you end up with a kind of plywood construction which so far has proven very sturdy indeed.

I have found however, that the Tesco takeaway meals to two (indian & chinese) are made of the brown board as mentioned above and it's much nicer to work with... Probably the same as the board the bonio boxes are made out of :)

Cheers

Justin

Can't say I have ever had any issues laminating 2 pieces of cereal card together. I usually glue coloured surfaces together after giving each surface a light sand. I only have a few Scalescenes buildings made this way but all are still okay after 3 years. 

Archived