Another SLT model

More years ago now than I care to remember. I came up with an idea for a Single Line Terminus (SLT) concept based on the idea of the Looe branch platform at Liskeard station down in Cornwall. I was attracted to the idea first seeing pictures and a track plan in Railway Modeller many years before I actually came up with the idea. I think there may also have been a chapter on the line in H.I. Quayles and Stanley Jenkins book "Branchlines into the Eighties". Many of the photographs I saw were taken from the mainline platform showing the branch platform receding into the distance. This was the way to model this location I decided. Anyway the idea just sat there in the back of my mind, as many of my schemes do. That was until some talk arose on an earlier incarnation of RMWeb about the Single line terminus as a layout. My concept was called St. Mewan and I popped it on my "journal of layout imaginings" website.  Some great research material that helped with the idea was found on this web page

So, anyway fast forward however many years to today and I still find myself fascinated by this concept and wanting to do something about an SLT layout and the other day I found myself sketching it out yet again.

post-7117-0-57259200-1390847415_thumb.jpg

Then a day or two later I found myself mocking it up on a spare piece of baseboard some 3" x 13" in size.

post-7117-0-47704200-1390847425_thumb.jpg

Clearly this idea of an SLT viewed from end on watching trains move to and from you isn't going to go away any time soon. So I just bought a Bachmann Derby lightweight 2 car DMU set in BR Blue from Model Railway Imports in Canada. (easier then buying from Hattons) Of course a Derby unit isn't right for a station based in Cornwall. But lets face it, in the middle of Minnesota who but me is going to know?

So lets buckle down and see if I can bring this long thought out project to fruition at last.

Been mulling over the idea of using P4 standards for the trackwork.

It started out by thinking that I'd lay the track of the dummy main line in front to P4 standards. But as I do have a few yards of assembled P4 track panels from Exactoscale (now C&L I think). I could easily lay the who thing in P4. Then all I'd need would be a P4 conversion unit for the DMU. Does Ultrascale make one?

Clearly this idea of an SLT viewed from end on watching trains move to and from you isn't going to go away any time soon. So I just bought a Bachmann Derby lightweight 2 car DMU set in BR Blue from Model Railway Imports in Canada. (easier then buying from Hattons) Of course a Derby unit isn't right for a station based in Cornwall. But lets face it, in the middle of Minnesota who but me is going to know?

So lets buckle down and see if I can bring this long thought out project to fruition at last.

There are photos of a class 108 set on the Looe Branch in 1989. A number of first generation DMUs were sent to Laira in the late 1980s after the newer class 142 units were found to be unsuitable,

cheers 

Not to be too stoopid, but would it be worth considering the same layout but with the foreground track on a bridge with just the far side Girder/parapet modelled , and the other track apparently passing below it at a lower level?

Not stoopid at all Jack. I think It's a pretty good idea you'd get the "looking down on the train from a bridge" effect then. Am I understanding you right? Yeah. I'd thought of that. Lets leave that concept for another scheme...

OK, here's a really off the wall idea, what about an N gauge track crossing the backscene to create depth to the field of vision. The train leaves the platform and disappears off around the corner. A few moments later, we see the DMU trundling across a bridge at the rear of the box.

Got my jacket already on and running for the door as I ty.............................

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking that the use of a 20" radius curve out of the station and into the fiddle yard will preclude the use of P4 standards

Just in case your fishing for ideas not to do it - I totally agree!  

- as the case with myself EM/2mm it does look good - but the obstacles you create can prevent it even getting started!

If you think using bought track gives a greater chance of it getting done? Do it! ;)

OK, here's a really off the wall idea, what about an N gauge track crossing the backscene to create depth to the field of vision. The train leaves the platform and disappears off around the corner. A few moments later, we see the DMU trundling across a bridge at the rear of the box.

Got my jacket already on and running for the door as I ty.............................

Too late, I'd already considered something similar

Just been messing around in Google earth measuring the platform structure footprint. It's approx 112ft x 20'. That is approximately 450mm in 4mm scale. Much much bigger than I expected. I think some selective compression is called for.

Is it a struggle to get the full range over there then?

- presumably your 'lot' has improved since Bachmann started doing British outline?

Absolutely. At the moment I get my stuff from model railway imports in Canada. They carry quite a bit but not everything. I know this is a generalisation but Americans are only interested in American things. Railroads and models included. I don't know of any of my railfanning friends who know anything about railways in the UK or even want to.

Archived