Another SLT model

Heck Ken. You're in Chicago. Thats down the road from Minneapolis in US terms...  ;)

And I've been meaning to get up your way to ride the light rail.  Maybe I'll catch you at an exhibition!

So, today I made a start on working on the station building. Using the dimensions in the Scalescenes Hornby magazine freebie as a guide. The building stretched out in length back towards what it started out at. But it looks OK I think. Evergreen styrene sheet was used to make the structure.

post-7117-0-86781800-1401574768_thumb.jpg

Once it was starting to take shape I set myself a little detailing task. I decided to put an interior into the outside gents. It's something that will be visible so it was a no brainer really. A urinal for a start, perhaps a toilet depending on what you can see. We'll see how that goes.

post-7117-0-06147600-1401574767_thumb.jpg

Plenty to go at yet. But a good, fun start.

• RMweb Premium

Towel dispenser(Working!)

Loo roll in the cubical.

Copy of the Daily Mirror on top of the towel dispenser.......

Love this layout, Ian. Keep up the great work.

The above would clearly show it being a model as the real station would never have loo roll nor a working towel dispenser!

And for daily mirror, swap for a daily sport and you would probably be closer to the mark. Dont forget the big puddle of p on the floor where somebody hasn't bothered aiming.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great example of why I spend time looking at the model. See how the simple change of storage shed makes a difference. The profile of the larger store (based on a typical British Rail concrete "provender store" outline found on RMWeb) starts to cramp the station and overpower the platform.
Not a good state of affairs. The smaller store fits in much better. It even matches the clapboard of the station building. ;)

post-7117-0-42123000-1402532032_thumb.jpg

post-7117-0-27420500-1402532034_thumb.jpg

The other thing I don't like is the extra depth of the larger store. It now comes to the edge of the baseboard. making it feel like it's crammed in there. A smaller structures sits comfortably in the space.

(Perhaps detecting the difference in these iPhone shots isn't that obvious but believe me, "in the flesh" in 3D the difference screams at you.)

A bit of station site development. You can see the building is coming along quite nicely now.

The pictures I saw on the Cornwall Railway society website showed me some thing I hadn't seen in the more modern pictures. Is the raised platform area opposite the main platform face. Perhaps the off loaded vans there in steam days. Anyway, I've since seen that it's still there. I'm thinking I'd like to recreate that to some extent. I've blocked that out as well. I don't know if it'll work or not. You know the drill by now. Leave it and look at it for a few days.

post-7117-0-08631200-1402533539_thumb.jpg

post-7117-0-77245800-1402533540_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Ian, any updates Mate?

Andy.

Not lately. Pressures of work and all that. In fact those "pressures of work" put me in the Emergency Room with some sort of mental nervous issue/panic attack just over a week ago. It would be great to be able to find some time to work on it again.

Ian

• 1 month later...

It has to be said that the first issue of the Finescale Railway Modelling Review magazine gives me plenty of food for thought and inspiration to get going on the model again. Particularly the article on Guerrilla Modelling and the piece on the shadow box diorama.

It threw me when I heard it too. Bought a copy out of curiosity (never ever getting to that standard of modelling but interesting to read through anyway) and guerrilla modelling is just another way of saying they're small dioramas that the builder has used to create very realistic looking photos using just his iPhone with a few filter apps. Bit of a weak article really but the photos the guy has produced really do look VERY realistic.

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42150-a-diorama-or-two-by-sandhills/

All 31 pages!

It threw me when I heard it too. Bought a copy out of curiosity (never ever getting to that standard of modelling but interesting to read through anyway) and guerrilla modelling is just another way of saying they're small dioramas that the builder has used to create very realistic looking photos using just his iPhone with a few filter apps. Bit of a weak article really but the photos the guy has produced really do look VERY realistic.

There's a lot to be said for the improvement layout photography gains by bringing the camera down to a more lifelike height in relation to the stock being photographed. Those grainy, poorly macro'ed top down photos in just about every thread on this site always undersell the layout, in my opinion.

Normal service is now resumed... 

I've been looking at the layout for the longest time. Five months? Five months of overtime and associated nervous breakdowns. Which had given me a lot of time to think and evaluate where the project was going. Layoffs from modelling usually mean that the project loses steam and I get distracted and want to do something else. Not this time, even with the impending 10th anniversary of my Purespring Watercress layout. I'm still keen on getting this concept to where I want it.

The first thing I decided that I had to do was trim the mainline platform. It was too deep. So some hefty surgery cut it back a bit. It's not anything that will be noticed by any of the viewing public but it bothered me. In this picture below you should be able to notice I've cut some 15mm out of the platform.

post-7117-0-75775400-1413756478.jpg

Another thing I did today was I set too and constructed all the platform walls followed by adding some mortar paint into the brick courses. It all helps me to visualize everything. While I had the jar of cream paint open I added a coat of paint to the station building and the goods shed.

post-7117-0-77831100-1413756475_thumb.jpg

I'm liking what I see. Some extra contours will need adding behind the branch platform wall though. Just a little extra re-shaping of the hill at the rear will be needed to blend that in overall.

But what of the what may become the "iconic" layout view?

post-7117-0-25216200-1413756534.jpg

It's looking OK...

I'm still in two minds about the platform wall there though. It looks high. But it isn't really. That's about the same height as the stone wall at the back of Liskeard station is. I have seen pictures where there's a small dumpster/skip in front of the wall. The wall is pretty much the same height. That's a good five feet. Still might cut out a couple of courses of the wall yet though.

Anyway, there you go. Normal service resumed.

Mainline platform does look a touch high, but I like the idea of the red dumpster......Almost a Liskeard signature feature nowadays!

It looks high to me too. but in the branch platform it looks low. Must be the difference between the P4 track on the main line and the PECO track in the operating section of the model. It won't look so bad when the track is ballasted I expect.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe you could add a slither of card under the mainline track prior to ballasting - might be worth a dry run first.

BTW, love that last shot of the classic view - I think once you have swapped the DMU for a Bubble car you will have nailed it :good:

Maybe you could add a slither of card under the mainline track prior to ballasting - might be worth a dry run first.

BTW, love that last shot of the classic view - I think once you have swapped the DMU for a Bubble car you will have nailed it :good:

Probably will try placing a slither of card under the track just to raise it a bit. A good idea. Thanks Pete.

The plan is to run different types of DMU's on the layout Bubblecar, Waggon and Maschinenbau etc;

Archived