Chapel en le Frith (Central) more shows for 2024

Barry O

Having had to ask directions to the layout yesterday at Warley - thanks, Barry - I arrived just as the Fell flailed its way through the station.  Even I am too young to have seen the prototype and the sight was impressive.  So, for that matter, was the layout!

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Having had to ask directions to the layout yesterday at Warley - thanks, Barry - I arrived just as the Fell flailed its way through the station.  Even I am too young to have seen the prototype and the sight was impressive.  So, for that matter, was the layout!

Chris 

It does look a bit busy going quickly, the drivers are only 4'3" diameter - anyone know what its maximum speed was? It must have been fairly quick given what it was working on, we had it on a stopper through Chapel this time but there are plenty of photos of it on expresses.

It does look a bit busy going quickly, the drivers are only 4'3" diameter - anyone know what its maximum speed was? It must have been fairly quick given what it was working on, we had it on a stopper through Chapel this time but there are plenty of photos of it on expresses.

Morning Mike,

I was telling Barry that, when I started work on the railway at the Derby Tech Centre 30 years ago, I spent some time with a Derby loco old boy who had been involved with some testing of the Fell. He described the day that they took a test train over the Peak route and he had a 'brown underpants' moment as they shot out of the tunnel at Monsall Head and over the viaduct at an extremely lively speed. The thing lurched and swayed around alarmingly at such a speed and he thought they were going to end up in the river. It was, apparently, always a bit top heavy with the fifth, auxiliary engine, mounted high up in the centre. He reckoned the speed was 80+ but I cannot vouch for the authenticity of that. Perhaps it was more in the 60-70 range (which seems more likely to me), it probably just seemed higher! Even at the more modest speed, that's certainly shifting up that gradient. Clearly a powerful thing if not a particularly well-balanced one!

Congratulations to the team on the award at the show, just recognition for all the midnight oil spent in recent months. The layout looked great. I hope the hoppers behaved themselves.

• RMweb Gold

Morning Mike,

I was telling Barry that, when I started work on the railway at the Derby Tech Centre 30 years ago, I spent some time with a Derby loco old boy who had been involved with some testing of the Fell. He described the day that they took a test train over the Peak route and he had a 'brown underpants' moment as they shot out of the tunnel at Monsall Head and over the viaduct at an extremely lively speed. The thing lurched and swayed around alarmingly at such a speed and he thought they were going to end up in the river. It was, apparently, always a bit top heavy with the fifth, auxiliary engine, mounted high up in the centre. He reckoned the speed was 80+ but I cannot vouch for the authenticity of that. Perhaps it was more in the 60-70 range (which seems more likely to me), it probably just seemed higher! Even at the more modest speed, that's certainly shifting up that gradient. Clearly a powerful thing if not a particularly well-balanced one!

Congratulations to the team on the award at the show, just recognition for all the midnight oil spent in recent months. The layout looked great. I hope the hoppers behaved themselves.

Thanks.

I wonder if there is any video of the Fell at speed, must have looked like a Whirling Dervish at high speed. Wouldn't like to be on a platform when it went through with all that metal flying round!

Your hoppers where impeccably behaved, the only difficulty was coupling a three link onto the back of a DG coupling. There were a lot of admirers of your hoppers. Once again, thanks for the loan in the absence of the Hatton's hoppers

Andy

Edited by innocentman

• RMweb Premium

Morning Mike,

Two "auxiliary" engines actually. They were mounted high up but their weight (DMU 150hp engines) was trivial compared with the gearbox and four main engines. The two 150hp ones were just to power the superchargers (not turbochargers) for the Paxman main engines.

Your hoppers where impeccably behaved, the only difficulty was coupling a three link onto the back of a DG coupling. There were a lot of admirers of your hoppers. Once again, thanks for the loan in the absence of the Hatton's hoppers

Andy

Goodo! Feel free to do anything to them you need to keep them going in the meantime; I'm unlikely to have any further use for them other than 'old time's sake'. It's nice to know they're getting some further use on such an appropriate (and excellent) layout.

• Like 3

I can still remember the weird (Whirling Dervish did someone say?)sound of the Fell crossing New Mills viaduct while at school.

I had a small claim to fame in this machine which had already featured as a centre-spread cut away in the Eagle  (Dan Dare & the Treens)comic - along with other notable British post war technical successes such as the Bristol Brabazon, the Saunders Roe Princess Flying boats and the BRM!

My dad was the sponsorship link between Shell Mex & BP Ltd, Colonel Fell and BR Derby and used to take the Colonel around on lecture dates in his salesman rep's Hillman Minx.

Lord Rootes had something to do with it too I remember - he lived just outside Baslow on the A623. Were some of the Fell engines Rootes Group Commers?

It is uncanny seeing Chapel's (town) station re-created.

Congratulations!

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK so The layout won the Bachmann Trophy at Warley for best 4mm layout.

Well done the Chapel en le Frith team!

The beers are on the Chairman.....

Baz

It must have been the Hartford Junction PW hut wot clinched it...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All being well we are putting the layout up in the club rooms today as we have some improvements to do. Hopefully this will mean not only less chance of coaches catching as they go round the ends of the layout but also we should have a bit more storage space in the fiddle yard.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

yep we can get three kick back each way and another one each way using the "spare" points fitted at the end of the fiddle yard which only have 2 tracks leaving the fiddle yard

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

yep we van get three kick back each way and another one each way using the "spare" points fitted at the end of the fiddle yard which only have 2 tracks leaving thr fiddle yard

The railbus won't take up much room...

• RMweb Premium

The railbus won't take up much room...

We are already using a Cravens parcel car along with a GRCW parcels car...a Derby single lightweight is available but never visited Chapel.....or did It?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just been down the club room this afternoon to lay new track on the fiddle yard link board at the London end of the layout, New track required after we replaced a dodgy plywood top on the board. More waves in it than Fistral beach!

It was that cold, my phone went flat at the end of the day and went flat before I could take a picture of the finished article

Oh well, I will try again on Wednesday

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 1