Chapel en le Frith (Central) more shows for 2024

Barry O

Hi Barry, after getting those lengths of SMP EM track from you at Warley last year and picking up a box of new track on EBAY, the fiddle yard on 'Wharfeside' has now been completed, 18+ months and just over forty copperclad points. It's been a lot of work and I know how you must feel.

At Warley I don't remember if we talked layouts as we were both busy and I surely would have remembered if you had said you were doing Chapel En Le Frith, I visited there once and read up about the 'John Axon' smash.

Wharfeside is also Midland with the almost standard MR medium trackplan but being based on the Wharfedale line near Ilkley it is Midland/North Eastern joint so there is a NE coaldrop siding and unusual station buildings. All trackwork is now complete and the scenic side wiring done, fiddleyard wiring has just started although all droppers were fitted at the tracklaying stage.

I look forward to seeing 'Chapel' some day and wish you well with it.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Dave

I believe we talked about your layout but not sure if I mentioned Chapel.

We have copperclad points for the fiddle yard and C&L points on the scenic part of the layout

Tonight 5 tortoise point motors were fitted, Mike Edge laid some more of the main lines and Nicktoix laid some more fiddle yard track.

The layout (with simplified wiring) will be at Leeds Show this year (and, all being well Warley in 2017).

Baz

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

may be more piccies next week. I have two more tortoise point machines to fit and the scenic side of the layout is fully point machine fitted.  

I did note that one complete circuit of track is just about in place. Time for some temporary wiring methinks!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

may be more piccies next week. I have two more tortoise point machines to fit and the scenic side of the layout is fully point machine fitted.  

I did note that one complete circuit of track is just about in place. Time for some temporary wiring methinks!

Baz

Ah, time for "testing".

• RMweb Premium

As requested by St Enodoc some updates in the way of photos.

First up one of the station boards with... Tortoise point machines fitted

post-7650-0-73082300-1438251731_thumb.jpg

and the fiddle yard - a lot of work from Nicktoix on this and some more track fitted last night by Mike Edge

post-7650-0-20840600-1438251794_thumb.jpg

note the copperclad pointwork and C & L track

post-7650-0-34439800-1438251817_thumb.jpg

and .. thanks to our secretary Andy Morris

post-7650-0-70571200-1438251847_thumb.jpg

one of the fiddle yard control panels. Note we are using H&M pointmotors on teh fiddle yard courtesy of a big layout we had way back in teh late 1970s - Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury (Midland) and Bradford (London Road)

Now we did notice some spare baseboard on the fiddle yards - enough for some kick back roads which can handle a short pick up goods and a 4 or 5 coach train so more pointwork required!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As requested by St Enodoc some updates in the way of photos.

First up one of the station boards with... Tortoise point machines fitted

attachicon.gifPoint machines (1800x1001).jpg

and the fiddle yard - a lot of work from Nicktoix on this and some more track fitted last night by Mike Edge

attachicon.giffiddle yard tracks 2 (1148x1280).jpg

note the copperclad pointwork and C & L track

attachicon.gifmore fiddle yard tracks (1189x1280).jpg

and .. thanks to our secretary Andy Morris

attachicon.giffiddle yard control panel (1280x630).jpg

one of the fiddle yard control panels. Note we are using H&M pointmotors on teh fiddle yard courtesy of a big layout we had way back in teh late 1970s - Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury (Midland) and Bradford (London Road)

Now we did notice some spare baseboard on the fiddle yards - enough for some kick back roads which can handle a short pick up goods and a 4 or 5 coach train so more pointwork required!

Very nice Baz. Glad those H&Ms are still earning their keep after 40 years. I do like the Monty Python-style pointing fingers at the top. Reminds me of the device we used to use to persuade recalcitrant locos to move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More photos next week but we have seen the last siding put down in the fiddle yard tonight, droppers are being wired up, cables are being wired in ...soon be ready to do some testing!

• RMweb Premium

More photos next week but we have seen the last siding put down in the fiddle yard tonight, droppers are being wired up, cables are being wired in ...soon be ready to do some testing!

Good onya as we say down here.

• RMweb Premium

Forgot the camera last night but.....

A locomotive moved! Or rather two different!

Courtesy of Charlie Petty we had sound fitted class 56 and a stanier 8f trundling up and down the fiddle yard.

Real cabling being installed and most droppers have been installed and soldered up. Progress goes on.

Baz

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

we have been busy .. all track is now laid and  wiring is in full flow. Droppers across track joints are in place and

post-7650-0-10654800-1442521873_thumb.jpg

our Hon Secretary busy putting point motors (reconditioned H & M SM3s) and cabling in place on one end of the fiddle yard

post-7650-0-28507600-1442522010_thumb.jpg

he manages to make it all look tidy!

The other scenic boards are being wired by Steve

post-7650-0-14416300-1442522073_thumb.jpg

and the other boards are under way...

post-7650-0-76072500-1442522115_thumb.jpg

Nicktoix has been installing the cross board fiddle yard cables and Mike Edge has been setting up points....Still on course ofr it to be at our show - although only the main lines will be running

Baz

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

so one end of the fiddle yard fully wired, fiddle yard boards wired and connected together.. other end should be done at the weekend.

On the "scenic" side all point frogs wired and cables are in place for final wiring.... 4 weeks to go....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, with some wire strangling completed over the last few weeks we finally, at 3pm today ran a train around the layout. And it just happened to be a Blue Pullman!

I will try and add a link to the video taken but isn't it great when a plan comes together!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So what happened to the Peak then? Did it fall off half way round?????

I assume that is a Bachmann Pullman and not the Kitmaster conversion that used to run on Victoria.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Only took a couple of test coaches down. More coaches (in maroon) to be tested today.

The blue Pullman is a Bachmann one. We have two kitmaster ones as well. With the way the fiddle yards are laid out currently we need two blue Pullman's for an up/down service.

More testing today.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a VIP come along today. He brought some stock from his"other" layout of Gowholes yard.

An ex L&Y 0-8-0 trundles past with coals

post-7650-0-60255700-1445182725_thumb.jpg

the Austin 7 on the other minerals train was built by Nicktoix a long time ago..

Do you know who it is yet? Well here is Mr Grantham himself admiring a Blue Pullman

post-7650-0-95865000-1445182810_thumb.jpg

He also brought his ICI hoppers along so we will have a train of these for our show, albeit only 7 or 8 of them.

We also saw a fully fitted freight from Gowholes

post-7650-0-66706600-1445182922_thumb.jpg

Thanks  LNER4479!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

Pleasure was all mine, Barry & co!

Here are a few photos of mine (my first one was a 'snap' with your first one so I've no need to re-post)

post-16151-0-38415800-1445188195_thumb.jpg

Black 5 on a fully fitted forges steadily up the 1-in-90 as the Midland Pullman hums past towards Manchester

post-16151-0-73094900-1445188322_thumb.jpg

Chapel's fiddle yard fills up with trains (for the first time, I understand?). The L&Y 0-8-0 has given way to even more exotic motive power on the wooden-bodied mineral rake... (the hoppers can be glimpsed to the immediate right of this train).

post-16151-0-98368900-1445188496_thumb.jpg

... seen here rounding the curve into Chapel. Of course, it should be empties heading east - and Garratt's were banned over the Peak line due to inadequate brakes (they were occasional visitors over the Hope Valley route) - but, hey, Rule 1 and all that!

post-16151-0-73313700-1445188635_thumb.jpg

Clattering downgrade the other way is one of Barry's Black 5s on a fitted freight.

post-16151-0-59310000-1445188700_thumb.jpg

Talking of Rule 1, this train's definitely lost its way! An impressive sight, even so.

Looking forward to giving the stock a further spin at the show in a fortnight's time.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8