Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What is your favourite part of the hobby?

fender

Your Favourite Part of the Hobby  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite part of the hobby?

• Research and layout planning
    • Track Laying/Painting/Ballasting
    • Hand-building track
    • Wiring/Electrics
    • Making Scenery (not including buildings)
    • Making Buildings (kits or from scratch)
    • Loco kit/scratch building
    • Rolling stock kit/scratch building
    • Finishing Locos/Rolling stock (painting/weathering)
    • Collecting new models (locos, rolling stock etc)
    • Planning/Installing Signalling
    • Detailing (the little final touches to the layout: people, cameos, vehicles, signage etc)
    • Operating the layout
    • Taking pictures of models/layouts
    • Something fender forgot to include in the poll but which I wrote below:

I know polls are inherently flawed, and that there will be a deluge of posts saying I forgot something, but I think most responses can be squeezed* in to this one, and it's only a bit of fun.

Imagine you have just joined a new club and they have told you you can only do ONE thing for the layout they are planning and that, so you are motivated, they would like it to be your favourite thing to do.

Assume all other things are equal. If you like building track then assume the layout will be of a manageable size. If you like ballasting great lengths of main line then assume it will be....etc. Assume the layout is something you will be interested in. Assume the people you work with will be nice to work with and assume that everything you are not doing will be adequately done by someone else. Assume also that time, money and working conditions are not factors, i.e. if you like wiring then assume this will be done in a comfortable position, along with everything else.

So what would you pick? What is your favourite thing to do?

* For example, an awful lot of things can be squeezed into response #1. Assume that research and layout planning involves everything that only requires thinking, not actually doing. So researching a prototype, scenic design, track plans etc all goes here.

:)

It would have been nice to be able to answer more than one item in the list as there a several things in the list that I really enjoy doing.

sorry. club rules. :D

but seriously, I thought about doing that but it often just ends up with almost everything getting checked so I left it at just one.

Glass of my favourite tipple in my hand, sitting in my comfortable Captains chair in front of my bare layout board D R E A M I N G of what will be the finished plan.............................. time to reshuffle the track and waggons again.

You need to add reading RMweb too much to your list. ;) or does that come under research and planning.

More like displacement activity :no: : I'm supposed to be working on a building for my H0m layout this evening.

I do seem to enjoy research and planning and at least two people (apart from me) have layouts that I designed using XtrkCad. 

I don't seem to like anything about it. When I'm designing and researching I'm looking forward to building. When I'm building I'm looking forward to playing. When I'm playing I'm thinking about the next layout. It's a vicious circle I've got myself into and there's no hope.

To escape into the loft with a cup of tea on a wet, cold winters night. Switch on the warm air heater, the layout and the DVD / TV unit. Put on a 1960's steam video (B&R are my faves), and get 6 trains running. (4 track low level & 2 track high level goods). Just let em run, occasionally changing a loco / train. Do a bit of fiddling & fettling here and there. Plan a couple of changes, which may or not get done (or undone !) always something to do.

brit15

I think track laying (but not ballasting) is the best, something enjoyable about pristine shiny track and ply and cork and it suits my planning as you build approach for modifications.

To escape into the loft with a cup of tea on a wet, cold winters night. Switch on the warm air heater, the layout and the DVD / TV unit. Put on a 1960's steam video (B&R are my faves), and get 6 trains running. (4 track low level & 2 track high level goods). Just let em run, occasionally changing a loco / train. Do a bit of fiddling & fettling here and there. Plan a couple of changes, which may or not get done (or undone !) always something to do.

brit15

That, sir, might JUST be the inspiration I've been looking for.... :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Baseboard construction. But then maybe I'm the only one that enjoys that and that's the reason it's not on the poll?

No, you're definitely not the only one!

Baseboard construction for me, too.

Jeff

Archived