Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What is your favourite part of the hobby?

fender

Your Favourite Part of the Hobby  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite part of the hobby?

• Research and layout planning
    • Track Laying/Painting/Ballasting
    • Hand-building track
    • Wiring/Electrics
    • Making Scenery (not including buildings)
    • Making Buildings (kits or from scratch)
    • Loco kit/scratch building
    • Rolling stock kit/scratch building
    • Finishing Locos/Rolling stock (painting/weathering)
    • Collecting new models (locos, rolling stock etc)
    • Planning/Installing Signalling
    • Detailing (the little final touches to the layout: people, cameos, vehicles, signage etc)
    • Operating the layout
    • Taking pictures of models/layouts
    • Something fender forgot to include in the poll but which I wrote below:

Baseboard construction. But then maybe I'm the only one that enjoys that and that's the reason it's not on the poll?

No you're not the only one.  I love building benchwork.  You very quickly go from an empty space to a structure the shape of your layout.  The progress is as close to instant as you can get in this hobby.

-Jason

No you're not the only one.  I love building benchwork.  You very quickly go from an empty space to a structure the shape of your layout.  The progress is as close to instant as you can get in this hobby.

-Jason

Agreed - I sometimes feel on the verge of a panic attack when I have to "ruin" the virgin baseboard with things like track, paint and glue. Maybe I should just collect baseboards, but I'd need one helluva big display cabinet...

• RMweb Premium

I like all aspects of creating a layout , researching, designing,   building; baseboard ,  scenery, stock and locos, then it's just leave it running while researching or building something else.

The Q

Oh and sitting down in the armchair with a glass of Highland Park, just thinking about it, is very high up on the list.

Agreed - I sometimes feel on the verge of a panic attack when I have to "ruin" the virgin baseboard with things like track, paint and glue. Maybe I should just collect baseboards, but I'd need one helluva big display cabinet...

I think there was someone in America who was into building layouts that were pure track (on a baseboard obviously) with no scenery at all.

It would I suppose be a sort of working display case or perhaps something like the training railways (usually 0 scale) used to train sgnallers or operational staff. Model railways in the 1930s tended to be like that.  That might be quite attractive- certainly different-  if the baseboards were well finished: I'm thinking polished mahogany.  

• 1 month later...

Assume also that time, money and working conditions are not factors, i.e. if you like wiring then assume this will be done in a comfortable position, along with everything else.

:)

I think you underestimate how awkward and tight I like my working conditions to be when wiring. A much reduced risk of burning myself with the soldering iron = no fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Procrastinating isn't an option? I excel at that!

I'd say track building, but the one time I scratch built a slip in O convinced me otherwise.

I'd say kit building wagons, but then you'd expect at least some of the dozens of wagon kits I've got to be finished.

I'm not on the baseboard building list though... the frames for the current layout are around 20 years old, and have had several layouts on them; I just keep replacing the top (or turning it upside down).

Archived