NGS Journal

grahame

I've spent a bit of time putting together and getting the next issue (2/18) ready to the extent that it's nearly complete and almost ready to go to the printers. I'm just waiting on advertiser's copy and need to put some finishing touches to it.

With February being a short month, and the printers and packers needing the usual time, I've had to crack on with it and aim to get it finished earlier than usual so that it's published and sent out as per the schedule - due at the end of March.

G

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got NGS Journal issue 2/18 completed (well except one advertiser whom I'm waiting on). Here's the scheduled contents:

What’s new in ‘N’ - 16 pages of news and reviews
Scottifying a Metcalfe Kit - John Walker bashes a card building kit
Crompton Capers - Weathering a class 33 by Andy Small
Head-codes - a Further Examination - Neil Dahlgaard-Sigsworth provides NE examples
Shamford Gorge - Peter Hills tells about his first N scenics project
Dummies for Dummies - Mike Berman produces an un-powered chassis
Air Brush Cleaning - Lessons and advice from Andy Small
Centre Page Spread - ‘Brixham Bay’
You’ve Never Had it so Good - Neil Walker tries out laser cut buildings
Stephenson’s Birthplace - Building plans and tips by Peter Brown
Welford Bridge - A GWR terminus layout by John Wilshaw
Scratch-building a Static Caravan - How to make a cheap simple example
Members Layouts - More photos from Gary Castell’s ‘Smoke Lane’
How Do You Build Your Layout? - Hugh Carter asks and provides some thoughts
Members Projects - Tankodrome by Jon Wills
Tomix Thomas Trains - Brian Rockey takes a look at the range
Image Stacking - A technique for photographing models
Wenlock - Ollie Reading’s new layout
Members Models - Building Wokingham’s footbridge
Mail Train - Members letters

I've yet to generate the print ready files or complete the Newsletter, but hopefully they will be done and go off for printing, packing and posting early this coming week. The expected send out will be in week commencing 26th March 2018.

post-33-0-75229400-1519572498_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This update is to appeal for any news about new N gauge products or market developments to go in to Journal 3/18. I appreciate that 2/18 has not yet been sent out (it is at the printers and includes reviews of the NGS Carflats, RT Pendolino and Dapol class 68) but I'm due to go in to hospital for an operation in a few weeks time so I've been trying to get well advanced with producing the next few issues. Fortunately I've effectively completed the editorial content (articles and features) for 3/18 but obviously I need content to add in the 'What's New in N' section. Therefore, I'd be grateful if anyone could provide me with either news, reviews or leads to follow up.

Rather than post here, perhaps a PM or email to journal@ngaugesociety.com would be more appropriate.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 2/18 is now out. My copy dropped through the letter box this morning - along with the DEMU UPDate mag and the 2mm SA magazine.

I hope members enjoy the latest issue.

G

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today too...looks like another good read, thank you Grahame.......and I will find the couple of articles I have for the journal and email you them shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope all members have received and enjoyed Journal 2/18.

Bearing in mind things are taking me a little longer than usual at the moment, I'm pleased to report that Journal issue 3/18 is well advanced and on time for scheduled publication.

I should be able to list up the contents shortly.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I hope all members have received and enjoyed Journal 2/18.

Bearing in mind things are taking me a little longer than usual at the moment, I'm pleased to report that Journal issue 3/18 is well advanced and on time for scheduled publication.

I should be able to list up the contents shortly.

G.

Yes a very enjoyable issue, Grahame.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now completed Journal 3/18, generated the print ready files and sent them off ready for setting, printing, collating, packing and posting. The send out is scheduled for the last week in May. Along with the Journal will be a 24 page Newsletter with details of the 2018 AGM and associated exhibition.

The contents for the Journal are:

• What’s new in ‘N’ - News and reviews
  • Hilard and Coldstone Harbour - Alan Kings’ atmospheric end to end layout
  • Modelling Projects - Assembling the NGS Vanwide wagon kit
  • Prior Castell’s Tower - Another delightful building from Peter Brown
  • Lightermans Yard - A detailed urban layout
  • How to Make a Crossing - Malcolm Kitchen builds bespoke track-work
  • Gas Holders - A look at these iconic structures
  • Members Layouts - Wagon works on Pete Latham’s Imperial Yard
  • Maudsley Buses - Ken Jones surveys the N gauge models available
  • How to Add Etched Details - Adam Williams explains upgrading his locos
  • Staly Vegas - a photo feature from the camera of Tony Wright
  • Modelling Water - Brian Rockey reviews and demonstrates various products
  • Rural BR LMR in 1960s - John Pennington’s portable layout project
  • Kit Building Open GWR Wagons - Kevin Kirby expands his stock with some kits
  • A Layouts Tale - J Paul Lambert recounts the story of his layout
  • SR Sleeper Wagon - Building a Parkside wagon kit
  • St Combs - A Canadian National layout by Norman Raven
  • Investing in a Nelevator - Rex Mounfield tells of his experience
  • Modelling Mail Train - Members letters
  • NGS Shop - details

post-33-0-54505400-1524993988_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I've received my sample copies so Journal 3/18 is now printed and 'out there'. It, and the associated Newsletter, should be dropping through members letterboxes any day now.

Enjoy.

G

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm it has arrived as my wife has informed me my little two year old collected from the letterbox as soon as the Postie put it through, tore off the plastic wrapper and flicked through it!

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been going well in putting together Journal 4/18 and it should be produced on time to schedule - I'm just waiting on a few things to finish it off.

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally got the next issue of the Journal (4/18) completed and ready for the printers. It’s a little ahead of the copy deadline but I’ve got to go back to hospital this coming week for a fourth operation in less than three months so I’ve been working hard to get it finished this weekend and early enough today to enjoy the football.

This issue is a bumper 92 pages and also included will be a free special booklet about N gauge tips and techniques as well as the usual Newsletter supplement for details of Society news and announcements. The Journal is exclusively about N gauge modelling and the contents include:

• 12 pages of reviews, reports and news about N gauge including a special look at the EP version of the latest NGS RTR Hunslet project.

• 4 dramatic and varied dioramas including one that features automata.

• 3 super quality layouts, representing the Southern, Western and Midlands, that have not previously been featured in the commercial magazines.

• And a host of ‘how to’ projects concerning buildings, locomotives, rolling stock, DCC and road vehicles, as well as members models and an NMod module.

post-33-0-36916500-1529832966_thumb.jpg

To receive a copy of this fantastic issue of the Journal, Newsletter and special subject booklet by post, make sure you’re a member of the NGS. Renew your membership if necessary or join at the NGS shop website: http://www.ngsjoin.com/ And for further details about the benefits of membership see the main NGS website at: http://ngaugesociety.com/NEWWEB/

G

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My membership copy and the editorial test/seed copies of Journal 4/18 only arrived today, so I'm behind most members with my first look at the printed copies. Obviously I see electronic copies of the print ready files but you're never quite sure how it will print. When I was involved in printing commercial brochures we used to get samples to sign off before the main print run. Nonetheless, I'm happy with how it turned out. And I hope members find it enjoyable and iNspirational.

However, nothing pauses in this publication game. Already I'm well advanced with putting together the next issue 5/18. The articles and features are all in place with just the letters, adverts, the news and reviews section of the Journal to complete and the Newsletter to do.

Tomorrow is the NGS AGM, AMMC and special exhibition. Hopefully I'll pick up the latest developments info from Dapol (as they will be there) to include in 5/18 and perhaps get the chance to grab a few pics of any EPs and some of the layouts. I'm not sure who has agreed to photo the AMMC entries, but if no-one, I may be able to snap one or two although that'll only be if I can fit it in to my schedule.

G

• 3 weeks later...

The good news for the next issue of the N Gauge Journal (5/18) is that I've now got all the editorial features and articles in place but I'm waiting on adverts and news updates for the 'What's New in N' section. And, of course, content for the Newsletter supplement.

G.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the copy deadline date has passed I can firm up the content and finish off Journal 5/18 and the accompanying Newsletter. The contents list is:

• What’s new in ‘N’ - 12 pages of news and reviews
  • Ranoak - A re-visit to Paddy McFarlan’s layout
  • Decoder codes for Dapol’s class 68 - Julian Thornhill provides the information
  • Getting down to it - Graham Lawrence tells us a story as a prelude to modelling
  • Cherryburn House - Peter Brown provides plans and describes making this farm building
  • BR Siphons in blue - Richard Bardsley undertakes Siphon conversions to provide variants in N
  • Next18 Decoders - Julian Thornhill introduces these new DCC chips
  • Evoking a sense of place & time (pt 5) - Phil Lundberg tackles era 4 in his evoking series
  • Sossidge Street - Pete Morris’s describes his atmospheric 60s London terminus
  • Members Projects - Tony Martin builds a freelance tank loco
  • A Leader in N - Building this unusual locomotive from scratch by Michael Beer
  • Members Projects - Rodney Hodge re-purposes an ODC truck
  • How to Build an Etched Yard Crane Kit - Jerry O’Reilly assembles an N Brass etched kit
  • Filling Out the Ferry Fleet - Andy Gibbs showcases his ferry wagons fleet
  • Hints and Tips - Making a magnetic pipe load by Andrew Cockburn
  • Mail Train - Members letters

post-33-0-83456300-1535547465_thumb.jpg

The scheduled sent out, after printing and packing, is for the last week in September (commencing 24th) 2018. 

G.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...