APA Park - N Gauge in an Ikea Box

• RMweb Premium

As a first dabble in to N gauge repaints, I went for a 31. Missing from the Farish range is an example in triple grey sector livery (the best on a ped IMO), enthused by how 31371 looks I chose this as my victim.

I picked up a BR Blue 31 from eBay and stripped it. I chose to add wire handrails, as those on the prototype are quire prominent. I went for a chunky gauge wire, which looking back is a bit over scale now.

All that remains now is to acquire some etched mini ploughs for one end, some depot plaques and double arrows and to add some detail to one buffer beam. A coat of varnish will complete the job.

Overall I’m quite happy with the result and has given me the confidence to have a go at my next loco, a 47 that will be painted into triple grey petroleum. A few pictures for your delectation…

14910916410_f03a9f3438_c.jpg

31271 repaint progress by Steve Purves, on Flickr

15094559731_cd92203134_c.jpg

14910993728_5766472a50_c.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Both of my sound locos are on their way to new homes, in their place have arrived a couple of new locos. These will be subject to a similar modification, the 37 this time being treated to a Loksound Micro and Legomanbiffo’s new West Highland 37 sounds and the 47 will be modified with the same Zimo chip as the previous one, but this time with Paul Chetters new 47 sound project once its released. As the 47 will be modified the same as before this should be easy enough, but the 37 may need further work with the alternative chip.

British Railway Modelling is now out (digital only until Thursday) so I haven’t yet seen a copy of the article but have heard good reports from a couple who have… I will have to wait until its general release this week!

Heres some new pictures for you…

A line up of my 3 sector locos, Dapol 58, Farish 37 and My own repainted 31… I think the 31 holds its own quite well?

14965499568_be80a65dd6_c.jpg

20140905_205158 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Double ‘0’

14965501477_a96f0672e4_c.jpg

20140905_205946 by Steve Purves, on Flickr

Pair of Brush

15151669522_882b2cd843_c.jpg

Pair of Brush by Steve Purves, on Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks for the heads up, I've downloaded the ipad edition and read your layout article, it's very good! Was enjoyable to read through the construction story again and I didn't realise just how tight a budget you managed to create a magazine quality layout on. Can't remember the last time I saw a properly small layout in BRM that wasn't a loco depot, it bucks the trend somewhat!

Edited by Saddletank

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, thanks for the kind comments, I am amazed it came in at 5 pages, I wonder what the record for page space vs square foot currently sits at?! Andy's photo's are fabulous and hopefully there are a few spares that can be shared with you on here.

Still unsure what the future holds for APA as I don't have much time to exhibit due to family commitments but would really like it to be 'out there' spearding the micro word. Its may come to it that it is offered for sale to a good home to finance the Melton in N project (not to mention the pair of 009 loco's I picked up yeterday that are screaming for a layout)

• RMweb Premium

I have made my decision..

Apa Park is up for sale. There has been interest in getting Apa at some exhibitions, and due to having a young family I am not able to commit a full weekend playing trains, so have decided to let somebody else carry the flag. I will use the monies raised to purchase a box full of stuff for my next project so it doesn’t get whittled away… I will be advertising the layout on Ebay later on today but will listen to offers.

• RMweb Premium

That’s it, Apa Park has been sold! I have accepted an offer and Apa Park will be being delivered to its new home in a weeks’ time. I have mentioned the forum to the new owner so will see if he will join and keep updating the thread.

This just leaves me to say thanks again for all the comments and kind words throughout the build. I have Plans for a 009 layout which I will be starting shortly but have also been asked to complete my double APA plan, currently known as ‘Apa Something’ this will be built over the coming months so I will update that thread from now on.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi great layout! It has started me back in N gauge. When you operated it exibitions, what do you use to uncouple the trains on the lower goods lines?

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm afraid coupling is nor more complicated than the good old hand of god!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a phone call from the organiser of the Stafford show last night telling me that one of the layouts for the show on the 31st Jan/1st Feb was unable to attend and he would be delighted if Apa Park could fill the gap. A brief discussion with Callum, the new owner, and agreement was made to attend. 

So if you would like to see Apa Park in the flesh, get yourself down to the Stafford County Showground at the end of the month. I will be operating with Callum on the Saturday so do come by and say hello!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Great article in the N Gauge Journal this month.

Going back to those IT Trunking Cassettes - I am looking back at them and thinking I shouldn't have given up so easily! How did you make them work? What glue did you use to stick the track down, my epoxy resin was undone by flexing too easily. Also did you just use standard fish-plates for the electrical connections?

Cheers

David

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...