First Eurostar Velaro delivery to the UK.

See the link in post 71 on the previous page.

The PR event is this Thursday (13th Nov.) at SPI.

The first one on British soil has been at Temple Mills since February (9 months ago).

Others have followed since.

There's a photo of 3 Velaro sets at Temple Mills in the link in post 71.

The PR event at St. Pancras International on Thursday, is part of the celebrations to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the start of Eurostar services (14th November 1994).

The photo in post 71 isn't at Temple Mills - only two sets have been delivered to date. It's probably taken at the Siemens test centre at Wildenrath (looks like a german railway type of sign - orange W - on the shed wall).

I believe testing on HS1 starts this week so may explain the set at Dollands Moor.

The photo in post 71 isn't at Temple Mills .........It's probably taken at the Siemens test centre at Wildenrath (looks like a german railway type of sign - orange W - on the shed wall).

You are right. 

The news article where I got the link from, attributed it to Temple Mills.

It's possibly Wildenrath.

Here's another photo showing some DB Velaro D's, outside what looks like it might be the other end of that same shed, or another similar shed.

W for "Vissell" (as in blow your...) or W for Wildenrath ?

ra11.gif  Wartezeichen / Waiting Board - stop for shunting movements

Eurostar Press Release: http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/about-eurostar/press-office/press-releases/2014/eurostar-celebrates-20-anniversary-unveils-e320

Interactive pictures of the interiors of the new trains: http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/whatsnew

The press release mentions the new Marseilles service in May 2015 and the direct Dutch services in 2016, plus an order for 7 additional e320s, but no mention of any direct service to Germany. Are they assuming we'll be out of the EU by then and will have filled in the Channel Tunnel to stop any more immigration from EU countries? :jester:

....The press release mentions the new Marseilles service in May 2015 and the direct Dutch services in 2016, plus an order for 7 additional e320s, but no mention of any direct service to Germany...... 

They've announced that a connecting arrangement with DB at Brussels, will be announced as a London to Germany service.

That may tie-in with DB's reported reluctance to proceed with their own direct services to London, having recently said they'd almost given up on the idea.

Similarly, the proposed Eurostar Geneva service will now be a connection at Lille onto Swiss Lyra trains.

While Eurostar has announced the order for an additional 7 e320's (class 374), apparently they've also said that the existing operational fleet of 24 class 373's will be reduced to 14.

No timescales have been given for the fleet reduction.

They've announced that a connecting arrangement with DB at Brussels, will be announced as a London to Germany service.

That may tie-in with DB's reported reluctance to proceed with their own direct services to London, having recently said they'd almost given up on the idea.

Similarly, the proposed Eurostar Geneva service will now be a connection at Lille onto Swiss Lyra trains.

While Eurostar has announced the order for an additional 7 e320's (class 374), apparently they've also said that the existing operational fleet of 24 class 373's will be reduced to 14.

No timescales have been given for the fleet reduction.

They've already started with fleet reduction; two of the SNCF-owned sets have gone for scrapping.

They've already started with fleet reduction; two of the SNCF-owned sets have gone for scrapping.

I thought the three "3 Capitals" sets operated by SNCF on domestic services, were not part of Eurostars fleet?

The best I can make out is that their ownership wasn't transferred over to the new Eurostar company when all the other assets (including trains) were transferred over from previous LCR, SNCF & SNCB ownership.

I've no idea what the ownership status of the 7 NoL sets is nowadays.

They were previously owned by LCR and 6 and a half sets went to SNCF in 2007, on lease until 2011, but that was arranged before the new Eurostar company was established in 2010.

The spare half set was transferred to SNCF around that time, IIRC?

I've read they are to be finally withdrawn from use next month. 

I thought the three "3 Capitals" sets operated by SNCF on domestic services, were not part of Eurostars fleet?

The best I can make out is that their ownership wasn't transferred over to the new Eurostar company when all the other assets (including trains) were transferred over from previous LCR, SNCF & SNCB ownership.

I've no idea what the ownership status of the 7 NoL sets is nowadays.

They were previously owned by LCR and 6 and a half sets went to SNCF in 2007, on lease until 2011, but that was arranged before the new Eurostar company was established in 2009.

The spare half set was transferred to SNCF around that time, IIRC?

I've read they are to be finally withdrawn from use next month. 

I think you're correct, Ron; there were 31 'Three-Capitals' sets built which means that, if E* currently have 24 in service, seven must be accounted for elsewhere.

I think you're correct, Ron; there were 31 'Three-Capitals' sets built which means that, if E* currently have 24 in service, seven must be accounted for elsewhere.

The quoted Eurostar fleet of 24 operational Class 373's, suggests that there are 4 "Three Capitals" (full) sets unaccounted for.

Either they're non operational spares with Eurostar, or they were spares or out of service with SNCF, in addition to the 3 recently retired ones that they operated?

Does anyone have any further information?

• RMweb Gold

The quoted Eurostar fleet of 24 operational Class 373's, suggests that there are 4 "Three Capitals" (full) sets unaccounted for.

Either they're non operational spares with Eurostar, or they were spares or out of service with SNCF, in addition to the 3 recently retired ones that they operated?

There were always several SNCF sets which were not in the original pool - memory suggests it was three but it could well have been four.  They were purchased by SNCF because they had doubts about Class 373s being able to improve on usual TGV planned availability and were always regarded as completely separate (and indeed were outside the fleet maintenance agreement).  Presumably they have always remained as a separate SNCF asset?

• RMweb Gold

Here's a shot of 4012 on display at ST.Pancras this morning - taken from the EMT platforms shortly before an HST arrived to block the view!

1398460_10152506834641033_75578103322214

The Krupp-Mak Eurotunnel diesels were also stabled nearby and visible from the end of the SouthEastern High-Speed platforms.

10379940_10152506836646033_4641173979111

Thanks to the EMT and SouthEastern staff for being really accommodating to all the enthusiasts wanting access to their platforms for pictures today.

Some interesting snippets from Railway Gazette - Eurostar orders 7 more e320s

- 9 of the 10 have been completed and are in various stages of testing - "a test train had reached 230 km/h ‘last night’ on HS1 and that the test team hoped to attain 300 km/h ‘tonight’."

- Eurostar expect to have five available by December 2015, of which three will be used on Brussels and Paris services. All 10 sets will be in service by May 2016, with the extra 7 by the end of the year.

- Amsterdam services will start in 2016/7, with stops at Antwerpen, Rotterdam and Schiphol Airport - they will announce in January if passengers will need to detrain at Lille on the way to London.

- Marseille services, which will need passengers to detrain at Lille, begin on the 1st of May next year.

- 373 refurbs have had ‘some issues’, but the first refurbished trains are to be delivered "in the third or fourth quarter of 2015"

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I have now done a further check back on the original fleet allocations and four SNCF non-pool sets is indeed the correct figure.  The original allocation of sets was as follows -

EPS 11

SNCB 4

SNCF 16

Total 31.  Out of which the pool fleet was 27 sets (with 22 traffic diagrams intended) leaving 4 SNCF sets as outside the pool and outside the maintenance agreement.

.... 373 refurbs have had ‘some issues’"....

"Issues"? Didn't the company doing the refurb go into administration and all their assets, including the Eurostar refurb materials and the intellectual property rights on the designs, get frozen by the courts?

The first refurbished trains should have been in service earlier this year and the whole lot finished by mid 2015.

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of 373 power cars running in the new livery but that is about it. Compared to the new 374, they are looking really tired.

I gather that some of the SNCF-operated sets may be headed for scrap due to their being totally clapped out. The Eurostar-operated 373s are probably going to need a lot more than a cosmetic refurbishment to keep going, as they work in an incredibly harsh environment.

Wouldn't be surprised if more repeat orders for Siemens stock may be the way forward.

....The Eurostar-operated 373s are probably going to need a lot more than a cosmetic refurbishment to keep going.....

Unlike the previous interior refurbishment, back in 2004/05, this one is a mid-life update (overhaul and refurbishment).

Apart from newly refurbished interiors, I think they are supposed to be installing WiFi, networking and power sockets, plus information/entertainment systems.

From what I've read, there are also mechanical, electrical and electronic updates to the trains themselves.

Plus the paint job.

There were always several SNCF sets which were not in the original pool - memory suggests it was three but it could well have been four. 

I have now done a further check back on the original fleet allocations and four SNCF non-pool sets is indeed the correct figure.  The original allocation of sets was as follows -

EPS 11

SNCB 4

SNCF 16

Total 31.  Out of which the pool fleet was 27 sets (with 22 traffic diagrams intended) leaving 4 SNCF sets as outside the pool and outside the maintenance agreement.

I've just found some old information from the Eurostar website that answers some of these questions.

In April 2009, Eurostar had 28 sets in their fleet and SNCF retained the 3 sets that they had been using domestically.

At that stage, the 28 in the Eurostar fleet would of comprised of 11 LCR, 4 SNCB and 13 SNCF.

Sometime afterwards (2010/11/12), Eurostar were saying that they had 27 sets, with one having been sent to Lille to be used for prototyping of the new interiors and electrical installations.

By this stage, all 27 and possibly the donor prototype, would belong to the new Eurostar company.

Today they mention a current fleet of 24 sets, so either 4 of the Eurostar fleet have been retired, are in store, or 24 is a mistake?

That's in addition to the 3 SNCF sets that have now been retired and are in the scrap line.

It's surprising that there's so little information "out there", that charts the history of the changes of ownership and operation of the Eurostar fleet throughout their lives. Particularly after yr 2000.

• RMweb Premium

No, but by then I had done both London - Paris & return and London - Brussels & return at least twice on Eurostar trains ;)

When I went through the tunnel it was in a 319!  Although I subsequently did some Paris trips during the staff training phase with no certificate to show for it, but instead a two hour sit down somewhere in France when the set tripped out and would not reset. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

When I went through the tunnel it was in a 319!  Although I subsequently did some Paris trips during the staff training phase with no certificate to show for it, but instead a two hour sit down somewhere in France when the set tripped out and would not reset. :scratchhead:

Sounds as if the laptop wouldn't reboot!  In the early days they were effectively run by an engineer with a laptop who was monitoring all the fault trips and the motor blocks and resetting things to keep them going and there were some hefty delays at times when not even the laptop could solve the problem.

Sounds as if the laptop wouldn't reboot!  In the early days they were effectively run by an engineer with a laptop who was monitoring all the fault trips and the motor blocks and resetting things to keep them going and there were some hefty delays at times when not even the laptop could solve the problem.

'Have you tried 'CTRL, ALT, Delete', sir?'

Archived