Class 33 Photos

I'll always have a fondness for the humble Crompton, as this was the second loco type I qualified on back in the 80s (after the Class 47). Last year, 33108 was a visiting locomotive at the North Norfolk Railway's June diesel gala. Living in Sheringham, a quick trip down to the station was called for. A quick question, though... 108 has white window surrounds at one end only. Is this just a preserved embellishment or did she ever run like this? Pete.

post-17811-0-10836400-1391099145_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-65401800-1391099146_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm afraid, I can't answer you're question!
But here are some photos of her when she came to Swanage for the 2013 Diesel Gala:

post-20657-0-50983700-1391107397_thumb.jpg

post-20657-0-85288800-1391107435_thumb.jpg

post-20657-0-85886300-1391107478_thumb.jpg

These photos were are my property, so please ask before downloading, thanks!

If you want anymore info in these pics, feel free to ask!

Edited by 80104 Productions

A quick flick through Flickr suggests 33108 ran for a while in 1988 with white window surrounds,

inconclusive if it was one end only, the white was across the end of the loco only and did not 'wrap' around,

cheers 

A quick flick through Flickr suggests 33108 ran for a while in 1988 with white window surrounds,

inconclusive if it was one end only, the white was across the end of the loco only and did not 'wrap' around,

cheers 

Yeah, I've spent a while this evening searching for photographic evidence of 33108 pre-preservation and the wraparound white at one end does seem to be a recent thing. I remember as a young secondman at Norwood from 1983 we started to see things a little different from the usual all over-blue. The first ED to appear in large logo blue with wraparound yellow ends came as a bit of a shock!

A bit of a sad looking one...

WCRC 33030 in DRS livery

IMG_1442.jpg

A donor to keep the others in WCRC fleet going.

Ian

This one used to be owned by EWS didn't it?

Yup. More please, and they don't have to have the push-pull dangly bits...

Oh dear, what have you started...

For rarity value, dangly bits and the Southern's Mk3 coaches, somewhere near Overton, doing Bournemouth line engineering diversions, in 1989. Possibly 33117:

post-6971-0-79374300-1391201814.jpg

And standing at Paddington in 1983/84, having brought in a regular Fridays only train from Plymouth. Number unknown (well, buried in a notebook somewhere probably, but I'm not that obsessed about it):

gallery_6971_807_25994.jpg

Any special requests?

Edit (11 months later): This was Fri 13 July 1984. I caught it at Westbury at 1841, 33017 and 5 Mk1s. See also this thread .

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 8

Oh dear, what have you started...

Any special requests?

Well, now that you ask...

During my time at Norwood (84-89ish) I remember a Crompton in a variation of large logo livery with black window surrounds (I think)... I believe the window surrounds were similar to 33109 in South of 1E's picture at Kenny O (above), but the loco was definitely blue, not grey. No idea of the number, just to be difficult!

Edited by Pete_S

Some good photos there.

I enjoyed a trip on the Swanage Railway in 2011, I will have to make another visit 

attachicon.gifIMG_4132a.jpg

3 class 33s stabled on the stop blocks 7/7/2011

cheers

'Swordfish' on the right

'Stan Symes' on the left

and 'Hot Dog' in the corner!

Nowhere else would that make sense!

If anyone could give me info on this photo, I would be delighted.

Such as - where is it? And the working?

The slide mount gives the loco as 33201 and the date 21st Aug 1985. Did the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains last that long?

post-4474-0-80482600-1391260818_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Great photos folks. Many, many thanks. The Crompton was an absolute pleasure to drive (even if the droplight cab windows leaked like a sieve) with, in my experience, a pretty low failure rate. They really were (are) good locos. Together with the Class 73 (ED), it was pretty much all we had at Norwood and we used the Crompton for the East Grinstead/Uckfield rush hour trains and Central Division and inter-regional freight. Towards the mid-late 80s, more and more Class 47s appeared at Norwood and the basic driver's course at Waterloo changed from the 33 to the 47. I was lucky enough to convert to the Crompton after passing on the 47 as my main traction. Pretty much downhill after that and I became a slam-door EPB & VEP driver! Great nostalgia trip - thanks again. Pete.

Edited by Pete_S
  • Like 2

If anyone could give me info on this photo, I would be delighted.

Such as - where is it? And the working?

The slide mount gives the loco as 33201 and the date 21st Aug 1985. Did the Cliffe-Uddingston cement trains last that long?

Not the Uddingston that late. Cliffe had closed as a cement works way before then. As there are bogie tanks in that photo, and 33201 was a Hither Green one, I'd hazard a guess that the train was a Northfleet working, possibly to Dunstable via the MML, which was electrified by then.

Can you read the headcode off the original?

Edited by eastwestdivide

I first saw the 33s at Exeter, probably on the Brighton - Exeter service, then on the Waterloos when they took over from the Warships.

In the 1980s I took quite a few photos of them especially on the Cardiff/Bristol - Portsmouth Harbour workings.

There are a number of them on my Flickr site, here is one of the better ones:-

Slim Jim at Swansea

post-7081-0-11230500-1391264214_thumb.jpg

33/2s were occasional visitors to the Bristol area but 33205 was a rare visitor this far west when seen at Swansea,

it is waiting to work the 09.50 service to Portsmouth Harbour, 19/9/86

cheers

• Like 5

Not the Uddingston that late. Cliffe had closed as a cement works way before then. As there are bogie tanks in that photo, and 33201 was a Hither Green one, I'd hazard a guess that the train was a Northfleet working, possibly to Dunstable via the MML, which was electrified by then.

Can you read the headcode off the original?

I looked at the headcode, but the blinds are just two white rectangles as with 205 above.

18108533008.jpg

33008 at Fareham with the 1205 Cardiff-Portsmouth on 181085. Fareham was a hive of activity every hour for a few minutes as on bailing the Northbound Bristol would arrive 33021 on this day, a thumper would also be on the Eastleigh shuttle and the whole thing repeated every hour or so...

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

Edited by South of 1E
  • Like 4