The class 59s

Was a 4mm RTR model ever made of these engines?

Regards

Sort of...

In all fairness the Lima original was quite a crisp moulding but had a few mistakes evident in certain versions.

They may be a tiny class but I think Hornby would sell "shedloads" of the things if they done a release to the standard of their Class 60?

The latest Design Clever ethos will have put paid to that though....

I am a bit curious, is there any differences between 59/0 59/1 and 59/2 ?

SGJ

The most obvious differences are with the first batch for Yeoman (59/0), which had two headlights in the centre of the front panels, whereas subsequent batches had WiPAC light clusters. There were other differences with fixtures and fittings, hence the sub-classes.

Was a 4mm RTR model ever made of these engines?

Regards

Sort of...

In all fairness the Lima original was quite a crisp moulding but had a few mistakes evident in certain versions.

They may be a tiny class but I think Hornby would sell "shedloads" of the things if they done a release to the standard of their Class 60?

The latest Design Clever ethos will have put paid to that though....

Hornby rereleased the Lima mode with alterations to the mechanism - a five pole motor bogie and DCC-ready - but made several bloopers with the body mouldings for given numbers they chose.

For example, I bought a cheap Hornby Yeoman 59 005 which had the wrong headlight style for a 59/0 (with WiPAC clusters) and swapped my good Lima body onto the Hornby chassis. The Lima one was also 59 005 but in earlier Yeoman livery. I put the Hornby body onto the Lima chassis and sold it on eBay (with an honest description of what it was!).

I hope Jo will forgive me posting one pic of the model (I know the intention was for the real thing!).

Class59-lights3-800_zps28ab3240.jpg

It would definitely benefit from a more modern chassis to the class 50 and 60 standard, as Bert has suggested. The running qualities of the Hornby motor bogie are far superior to the Lima one but it lacks traction.

p.s. Very nice photos, Jo. I particularly like the long-distance shots which show the landscape as well.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

I remember seeing these at Purley on stone trains not long after they'd entered service. A while later we spotted one in the yard at Three Bridges (failure, maybe?) and couldn't resist a peek in the cab. Bearing in mind we'd never seen anything like this in the UK at the time, I remember being a little disappointed that the controls weren't as futuristic as I'd hoped!

• Like 1

A fair few on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=class+59&_osacat=122601&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=class+59&_sacat=122601

I suppose I could have looked there before I made my post! Sorry.

I get the impression that this model isn't recommended; pity, the 59 has always been a favourite.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Thanks all for the 'Likes' etc. Although I prefer the 60s to the 59s personally, living in Wiltshire you soon appreciate the no nonsense manner of the 59s. It is nice on the warm nights when the windows are open to hear the familiar GM howl as they pass Thingley and accelerate onto the mainline heading for London, I think 7A91 is the normal culprit about 2300.

I think this was also the last two that had been in Mendip Rail livery heading back after repaint into DB red

Thankfully 59002 and 59004 haven't had their repaint out of Yeoman livery yet. They are currently unbranded, but retain the attractive blue and silver. Common sense would dictate they'll get Aggregate Industries colours to match the other two '0s'. All 6 of the 59/2s were repainted from EWS to DB red in 2012

I am a bit curious, is there any differences between 59/0 59/1 and 59/2 ?

SGJ

To us as modellers, the major differences are light clusters, fire suppression kit (big red bottles on the 59/2s), NRN roof aerials (59001-4 are different from the rest) and exhaust outlet sides. 59001-4 were built with them exiting over the clean air grill, but this drew exhaust dirt in to the 'clean' areas. This was changed on later locos, and retrofitted to the earlier machines. The layout was continued on the 66s. Oh, and the 59/0s and /1s have green cab interiors, the 59/2s cream.

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 1

Couple more of "missing" 59003 - passing through Slough, date unknown (but most probably early 1990s) - note it's had a repaint since Steve's image above, the 2nd Yeoman scheme had the cantrail stripe lower down.

59003_Slough_DateUnk_a-XL.jpg

59003_Slough_DateUnk_b-XL.jpg

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 6

Whilst looking through Youtube, came across these clips of a 59 on a loaded train rescuing a hst. Don't think this is a regular occurance.

59103 is the loco involved and hst power cars 43160 & 43188.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great video. Interesting fact that is mentioned in the comments: the weight of an HST is less than 4 loaded stone wagons!

Depends on the HST - a 2+7 set would be lighter than 400 tons but a 2+ 8 set is just over 400 tons empty at 409 tons.  But all British passenger trains, including Eurostar, are considerably lighter than the maximum stone train loads.

Excellent pictures.

I've always wondered how they get away with so little yellow on the front end.

Rob

The Group Standard in force at the time of their introduction had been revised permitting traction units with more powerful headlights to have a smaller area of yellow.

Edited by The Stationmaster