E&WYURly Wagon

I've posted this here because to me it's a Topic, not a Blog - I don't like Blogs - and there's no heading for specific Model Rolling Stock, and as there's an element of prototype in this information, here it's posted.....

The East and West Yorkshire Union Railway (E&WYUR) had a large fleet of open wagons for hauling coal and stone traffic.

These were to a standard 5 plank open coal truck design built by the Birmingham Carriage and Wagon Company.

These wagons appear to have been painted dark grey with white lettering.

Comprehensive details on the E&WYURly can be found at http://www.lner.info...YUR/index.shtml

I first saw a 7mm scale model of this wagon, No 129, in the 1970's at J P Richards home in West Wales, and after his death, his whole collection of loco's and rolling stock was transfered to the NRM at York, where thay are all on display today (and tomorrow and next week........).

I copied the details of No. 129 and thought this would be a nice touch to my 4mm layout (Penlan) for the York Show this year. Edit - The wheels on the E&WYURly wagon are P4 by PC Models (No longer available).

After the show I was handed a photograph of one of these wagons without any indication as to it's origins, however as it's definatly in North Wales (the PO's a clue) and the wagon number is the same as J P Richards model, I suspect it is a copy of one of his original photo's from the pre-grouping era. Of course now I've seen an original wagon, my lettering is far to spidery, the lines will have to be thickened up, dreckly.

One photo shows my model at York and the other two photo's are from the original print.

EDIT - The NLR wagon was inspired by a similar one on the late Geoff William's Aylesbury layout, I thought the lettering was neat!

Penlan

post-6979-12556195812654_thumb.jpg

post-6979-1255619582492_thumb.jpg

post-6979-12556196038337_thumb.jpg

Very nice model of a rare and interesting wagon.

I think I am right in saying that the prototype photo is one of several taken at Barmouth around 1923. Most (all?) of the series are in the HMRS collection.

I think I am right in saying that the prototype photo is one of several taken at Barmouth around 1923. Most (all?) of the series are in the HMRS collection.

Yes, I was thinking Barmouth, it would certainly fit in with J P Richards. It may of course have come through the C.C.Green (CCG) collections to the HMRS, which presumably means I'm in a little bit of trou...... Interestingly enough the image I have is obviously a photo of an old photo album with corner mounts and the actual image/photo in that album is a contact print from a glass negative, based on the ghosting etc. Those who knew CCG will recall his old green van, which was a mobile photographic studio/photo copying facility.

Edit - removed un-related text to topic.....

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

There is a drawing of the wagon with levery details in the history of the line by D L Franks. I can't tell you the publisher off the top of my head but it is available from second hand booksellers. The system has virtually dissappered due to housing, mortorway construction etc ut there is one very short length of rail still down as part of a level crossing on a back lane in the Robin Hood area.

Jamie Guest

Archived