Jack's Present Day Workbench - Coaches of Many Colours

Jack374

So then...a breakthrough.

Since milling the chassis last week, I’ve been beaverig away to try and find a solution to the 'halo' issue. I deem it an issue because I’ve not yet seen a model with what I’d say were "acceptable" halos as well as non-bleeding main lights. Various things were tried, some with success and others yielding no success at all! A restock mid-week on 0603 SMDs from eBay and tonight I’ve cracked it. Using the aforementioned LEDs and also some 1K5 SMRs (resistors), I’ve put 4 in a square format and soldered them so they are in parallel - tests with series ones drew a mammoth current. A 2mm lighthouse LED was placed through the middle, this being white/red with a common positive so ideal for DCC. Below is the circuit board cut lines and finished board:

7099B07D-46D1-4F8F-9EEB-30D94DA0449C.jpeg

26C62774-0824-4FD1-8BD1-0750F06F1815.jpeg

7D2E0F01-7C09-48E2-ACAE-ABFE6388B895.jpeg

And the results...

4FC865CD-C84F-47DE-B69A-99BC35895E23.jpeg

B2B3902B-D7E7-4C63-893B-E54D94018E76.jpeg

(Note my nameplate I made last week whilst welding, apologies for the messy bench!....)

With one from the decoder itself:

140CF11D-4636-4CFB-B734-B89FF29536D3.jpeg

With a small 3v cell, the lighting was fairly dim however the middle photo above is with a desk lamp pointed at it, and they’re still visible. The decoder powered photo is excessively bright, so any worries I had about dim lighting aren't worries at all! I’ll reduce the current for the halo outputs on the decoders when I’ve fitted the lights for good.

Keep modelling! :senile:

Jack.

I hear by name this locomotive ...'Jack'....self absorbing?....its a bit like having your layout named after or sounding like your name!!

but its your train set do what you want!

Name plate looks like its for gauge 1 not oo if im honest.

Top work jack for lights, they need to be supper bright so when the loco has passed you can still see the 68 lights burnt into you retana for five mins..to think it use to be a couple of 40w bulbs in a head code box and a yellow end!

G

I hear by name this locomotive ...'Jack'....self absorbing?....its a bit like having your layout named after or sounding like your name!!

but its your train set do what you want!

Name plate looks like its for gauge 1 not oo if im honest.

Top work jack for lights, they need to be supper bright so when the loco has passed you can still see the 68 lights burnt into you retana for five mins..to think it use to be a couple of 40w bulbs in a head code box and a yellow end!

G

Hi jack, so the name plat was part of your training? Right lads that concludes your lesson for to day(welding practice) before you go home one last task! Produce a name plate...jack was thrilled....maximiliano was not!

G

• Like 1

post-21664-0-91619200-1545486957_thumb.jpg

To all my friends on the forum, and everyone who has viewed, liked, and commented on my work during 2018; I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year. Hopefully we can get more modelling done than this year! :senile:

The photo is taken on my (soon to be exhibition) layout 'Tighte End Yard', which represents a small servicing depot used by Direct Rail Services (DRS). The locos and wagon have all featured in some form on this thread, with the layout having its own thread with a link in my signature.

All the very best! :D
Jack.
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with first show....where and when? So I can give you some of my usual!! Support.

Possibly a charity do in Chorley for a day in March on Saturday 23rd, then at Leyland MRC's summer show in August?? Not entirely sure!

Before I went away from the workbench for Christmas, I got the No.2 end warning panel painted on the 68, using a white undercoat (Halfords appliance gloss white) and then a coating of Halfords Fiat Golden Yellow. Then this evening I took a very shaky paintbrush (need to lay off the booze lol) and some masking tape and did the line that links the two lights...a much thinner one than Dapol portray. Only when the last piece of masking tape was removed and it was cleaned up did I think I’d got it near enough, as you really can’t tell beforehand!

post-21664-0-97576200-1547072066_thumb.jpeg

(The line looks a hell of a lot smoother IRL)

The curved profile of the panel is evident above, whilst the Vossloh insignia needs redoing with a pin and a cocktail stick as a paint tool and paint remover respectively!

post-21664-0-37758800-1547072081_thumb.jpeg

And above is the very subtle 'S' shape edge created by the front end geometry.

Whilst the black paint was out, I coated any last bits on the new main light board that needed light bleed-proofing before this can be fitted. Fitting will have to wait until I’ve renumbered/named, repainted the No.1 end, varnished the body sides/ends and added the glazing back however, as it needs to be glued to the cab interior insert. I gave the lights a coat of silver to reflect the light inwards, then scraped off the face of each LED that was actually useful....

post-21664-0-47813600-1547072053_thumb.jpeg

And the fruits of this week at work on the lathe. Simple, you may say?

post-21664-0-65337200-1547072096_thumb.jpeg

Far from it!

post-21664-0-94151300-1547072303_thumb.jpeg

All good fun! :yes:

Keep modelling!

Jack.

• Like 2

Also forgot to say that I've set myself a deadline to have the 68 in a runnable state with sound, and at least one end with new lights. This is because I’ll be joining Mick & team at Doncaster (BRM) show on February 9th/10th operating 'Deadman's Lane'. I have a feeling that 08892 will stretch it's legs too. Pop by and say hello if you’re attending...February looks like a busy month for Midlands-ish exhibitions!

Jack.

• Like 3

Hey Jack, will you be attending at New Bryford's last outing (Glasgow)?

If so, see you there!

If not...there's Mick!

I won’t unfortunately Jules, it’s a little far for me! Mick will be there indeed...lucky you......... :no:

Jack.

A little more has been done on the 68 this evening....

I’ve added a new top light, as the Dapol arrangement with a PCB-mounted LED and two sprung contacts seemed a little over engineered, and also I’ve added the cab lights back in. The top light is simply a small piece of coppeclad with an LED and SM resistor, added by chopping down the light lens and guides so it can fit....

post-21664-0-49311200-1547241559_thumb.jpeg

Then the original cab roof piece was glued back in place, and the cab light board simply glued on top...

post-21664-0-58508500-1547242283_thumb.jpeg

This has allowed a bit more playing!

post-21664-0-54276600-1547241709_thumb.jpegpost-21664-0-02513400-1547241726_thumb.jpeg

post-21664-0-56165500-1547241738_thumb.jpeg

(The cab light isn’t wired up yet, and there’s no light bleed in real life)

Finally, the existing numbers have been scrubbed off with a cotton bud and thinners, and thankfully, the green/turquoise "swoosh" has remained....

post-21664-0-34381900-1547241751_thumb.jpeg

The loco is to become 68002 'Intrepid'. The handrails have been removed to allow varnishing, and may be replaced with steel alternatives...

I’ve also added the Vossloh logo with a pin as I said, but you’ll see it when I next post a photo of that end. Next up will be painting No.1 end yellow panel then detail painting (black stripe etc) before transfers and a sealing gloss coat for the whole body. After this I can re mount windows and cab inserts, and add the new main light boards before I rewire it. Good fun! :yes:

BTW, if anyone needs a Dapol 68 circuitboard for any reason, I’ve got one spare...and a decoder...

More soon!

Jack.

(Edited because it does help if you add all the photos you took, and don’t forget two of them!)

Edited by Jack374
  • Like 3

Cheers Jules...Ive got no excuse to miss the Burton show now I live 10 mins away. :no:

I’ve thought about adding a Chiltern one or a ScotRail one, the former as I particularly remember seeing this move for various reasons...I was actually stood up the bridge from this photographer as I saw it at this footbridge in Euxton, however I didn’t get a photo (didn’t bother back then) and a member of the public was talking all over the video:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doh46229/15138690732/in/photolist-QJperG-p42wJd-oLtHry-p4HHPi-p6yJeC-p4KKkb-pnGZmt-runGn7-p36qty-s9Nfub-oNrDBi-p4FeB1-p5ACix-p8Jbd1-s8436z

I also remember seeing a very shiny silver pair go to Preston from Crewe on a test run, and they were that new that a load of Vossloh/CAT technicians disembarked...I think (IIRC) that one actually asked me where the loos were! Just found it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacktsrailpics/16782633030/in/datetaken/

Another free evening, another little bit done on the 68. Progress is going so well that I’m contemplating another project and whether I can get it done for Donny...not sure yet.....

Tonight I’ve carved out the 'board for the No.1 end lights, using a knife (a sharp one) and patience!

post-21664-0-06075500-1547330349_thumb.jpeg

This has a few improvements to the layout, and I’ll do a step by step in case anyone wants to have a go. It’s not too hard! The boring bit is done, but the tricky (soldering) bit is to come!

And today in the light (well, gloom, but it’s better than in the week when I leave & return to the house in dark!) I’ve sprayed up the No.1 end. It didn’t go quite as smoothly as the first end but it’s still perfectly fine, and a little thinner than the No.2 end paint job:

post-21664-0-61611200-1547330394_thumb.jpeg

Keep Modelling! :senile:

Jack.

• Like 6

Another evening, another (alarmingly similar!) update. After tea tonight I’ve had an hour or so to firstly solder up the LEDs for the Halos, using 0603 white SMDs. Very fiddly but very rewarding. I’m only half way there however, as I need to source some more resistors and do the same amount of them! You can start to see where the tracks lead etc., and also how this revised design will allow a more concentrated circle as the LEDs are tangiential to the main headlight hole....

post-21664-0-78847900-1547499749_thumb.jpeg

Then I drilled out the No.1 end lights to 3mm and painted the black line, headlight surround and Vossloh logo...

post-21664-0-30423400-1547499720_thumb.jpeg

post-21664-0-89843600-1547499736_thumb.jpeg

Once again, nowhere near as bad as in the photo!

I foresee transfers and varnish at the weekend, then hopefully I can refit everything and wire it all up.

Happy modelling!

Jack.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all...I’ve had a fairly hectic week at work this week and I’d run out of resistors, so I had to wait for these to arrive from RS anyway.

And arrive they did yesterday. Quite a nice supply of 1K5 surface mount resistors. I needed a few for the 68 circuit board, which is now finished component-wise, with only the wiring up left, hence no lit photos. I didn’t transfer or varnish the body due to cr@p weather, but I’ll definitely do it this weekend as time is ticking! I’m still on target for Donny though....

post-21664-0-36837000-1548362560_thumb.jpeg

The 2mm lighthouse red/white LEDs have been soldered together and added too...the common +ve legs can be seen along the top edge to join the rest of the feeds via resistors. Tinfoil light insulation and the pieces of tube for the halos have been added too, as per the previous board. This one is much neater!

Keep modelling! :D

Jack.

• Like 5

. I didn’t transfer or varnish the body due to cr@p weather, but I’ll definitely do it this weekend as time is ticking! I’m still on target for Donny though....

Somehow got away with using a can of Halfords in Scottish (freezing!) weather in the backyard! :nono:

The Cat's coming on well, I must say.. :good:

Jules

Edited by Departmental203

Cheers Jules! Yeah I’ll definitely do it this weekend, as I’ve got buffers to do, a full rewire, add sound, add the lights, add handrails....anything else? I might be doing it on Friday night in two weeks time.....

This evening I’ve finished the second main light board, by connecting the halo -ve pads and adding wires. I thought I’d take some proper photos whilst I was at it, just to document the project properly....

post-21664-0-12469200-1548452236_thumb.jpeg

(The photos below are iPad shots)

post-21664-0-68216800-1548452270_thumb.jpeg

It works! :yes:

Also I’ve started on the buffers, making them from 2mm and 3mm OD brass tube. I’ll explain these more when I’ve done them.

post-21664-0-91155800-1548452285_thumb.jpeg

And I’ve had a couple of hours in the workshop today, making the screw for the vice I did on milling...it’d be a shame not to finish it!

post-21664-0-60942600-1548452221_thumb.jpeg

I was able to do it as the thread dies they’d ordered for me arrived...all £100 worth! Glad they needed them anyway.... :O

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I looked at the first pic, I thought you was using the camera as a magnifier to aid soldering !! :O

Cheers,

Phil.

Jack's not that old that his eyesight is going.

Unlike others................

:blind:

I thought that too Mick but then again my nose has to be less than an inch from the thing when I’m soldering, so I wouldn’t be too sure!

Today in the brief spell of sunshine we had before sunset (more like fade to darkness), I managed to varnish the bodysides and ends. The transfers went on really well apart from the nameplates, which will either need gluing or I’ll get some off Brian at Stafford show next weekend. Either way, assembly can now begin. Because of the nameplate issue, there’s a bit of an identity crisis ATM!

post-21664-0-21222300-1548539684_thumb.jpegpost-21664-0-95531500-1548539799_thumb.jpeg

I’m rather looking forward to seeing it all come together! :senile:

Jack.

• Like 2

Cheers Jules...I’m thinking of using stainless steel strip from etched name plates. Not sure it’ll work but I’ll give it a go for the cab door handrails, probably not the cab corner ones. The latter will receive a coat of paint probably to make them look less plasticky.

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

The final push.....

It’s getting there. The midnight oil was well and truly burning (as were my fingers) the other night, but I got the 68 fully wired up and managed to dim the lights with appropriate CVs as they were excessively bright. Also a couple of minor glitches were sorted where the motor ran the wrong way, and the lights were the opposite way round...I couldn’t figure out why until I found out I was directly programming on JMRI DecoderPro, so changing both chips at once when I reversed the decoder direction :no:. I had a quick play with the sound too...it’s rather loud! Tonight has seen the handrails added and painted Humbrol 11 silver to remove the plastic look. Also the roof grilles have been added and any touching up where paint has been removed or scratched has been done.

Here's the wiring...not pretty but it works! The Loksound V4 is under the left hand speaker, whilst the little function chip is more central. The socket for the sound decoder is under the exhaust moulding, which houses it nicely. 4 wires for motor and rail connections are connected from the decoder socket to the chassis.

2D1FD3E4-D541-4EEF-BC41-53A51DE8FCBE.jpeg.955b199d07dbb22cd818787e2a8b3e02.jpeg

Below is a side on view showing the handrails:

F45A1979-5C9E-4BE8-8F1A-1AA277BA5968.jpeg.24d7b1133d52a7150c4f6af67867926f.jpeg

And a power view that hopefully I’ll never see on the main line....

73C8BC79-7A62-4E52-9001-5328DB2174B8.jpeg.848063a5219840287782549ebc2d6be0.jpeg

Plenty still to do as I need to sort out the running on a rolling road...I might make a video for your audible pleasure, and I’ll also take some shots of the lights.

It's getting there! The next project after this now has all the bits ready to go after I raided Brian of Shawplan at Stafford. Something more traditional from a proper British firm...

Keep modelling!

Jack.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1