Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

What a wonderful thread; I particularly like the regular cooking/eating interludes.

Found this while hunting for pictures of Crichel Down, which I too saw at an exhibition a long while ago. Currently mulling 5000 options for a further tiny 0 layout, with this track-plan currently at No.4 in the Charts.

Kevin

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

What a wonderful thread; I particularly like the regular cooking/eating interludes.

Found this while hunting for pictures of Crichel Down, which I too saw at an exhibition a long while ago. Currently mulling 5000 options for a further tiny 0 layout, with this track-plan currently at No.4 in the Charts.

Kevin

I agree Kevin! I love following Andrew's travels and am also a fan of the food.... particularly the shovel fried eggs! :good_mini:

The trackplan is great too. Offers lots of operational potential in a small space. I'll be interested to see what you come up with with your potential new project.

Andrew - congratulations on the new addition to the family. Pleased to see you have started to expose her to good old Thomas stories already! 

Edited by south_tyne
Poor spelling...... obviously time for bed!

On 28/01/2019 at 07:50, Andrew Young said:

My Fletcher Jennings tank, currently running on the Dapol chassis, took a spin on the HDLR.

post-11098-0-00276200-1548621948_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have a half-finished body kit of the Peco "Talyllyn" and I botched the chassis build. The Dapol B4 is so close to prototype dimensions in 7mm scale, I reckon I can now proceed. The only variance is that the wheels work out at 2'2" diameter instead of the prototype 2'4". (Pretend its running on worn wheels?)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Been an inordinate time since the last update on here. It’s fair to

say that I’d underestimated quite how tiring having a small person in the house would be. Whilst there was time for modelling, the energy for concentrating on it was lacking.

The modelling mojo also took a hit last summer with the passing of Tim Allsopp after his battle with cancer. Plus, as one of Tim’s executors, sorting out Tim’s affairs has taken up a large amount of time. However, hopefully, that should be concluded within the next month or so.

The current pandemic has increased modelling time slightly due to

us not being able to go away (should be driving Talyllyn steam locos currently but can’t!) Work has been pretty hectic throughout the pandemic keeping trains moving and being one of the Union Reps has entailed a fair bit of work too. Plus, I’ve been working on a TUC Diploma in Occupational H&S at work for the last 18 months.

The modelling... have completed the two Kirk Gresley carriages forming the push pull set to run with the G5 built for my Dad’s railway. Quite glad to finish those as I realised fairly quickly just why I model in 7mm scale rather than 4mm scale! Here they are at their new home:

4A62610C-E56C-4DA2-8E2C-BFBBFA344207.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Second modelling project has been to

complete my trio of Fletcher Jennings tank locos. In need of somewhere for them to run, might have to factor in an Upper Melyn Tramway into the layout.

‘Sir Jasper’ is back running on the modified Branchlines Talyllyn chassis. 

The green one (currently can’t find the plates) is a standard kit as you would receive it from EDM Models, built as intended.

’Quarry Maid’ has had a few modifications to ring the changes and make it look a little different.

Really rather pleased with how they’ve turned out. Think it’s fair to say that my Fletcher Jennings itch has been well and truly scratched!

Next bout of modelling will be layout based...

FB11F8D1-7A4C-4B13-B081-2EA23D8064EE.jpeg

A03BE5F8-344C-4B8B-B07E-27933EBA312E.jpeg

ABC68ED8-1C3F-42E5-8B06-07FD3EFEC36D.jpeg

CB44486A-8C5E-4308-B37E-BC3D128D6699.jpeg

1367303A-B15E-4CA7-9B57-96BD424EF1EC.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Wonderful!

Which valuable mineral lies in the upper reaches of the valley?

Whatever it is, I urge that it be carried in wooden side-tippers as used by Dorking Greystone Lime. There is a good drawing of one in the "Townsend Hook" book published by the Brockham Museum Association, its by Chris Down and might also be available through the IRS on-line archive of journals.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Wonderful!

Which valuable mineral lies in the upper reaches of the valley?

Whatever it is, I urge that it be carried in wooden side-tippers as used by Dorking Greystone Lime. There is a good drawing of one in the "Townsend Hook" book published by the Brockham Museum Association, its by Chris Down and might also be available through the IRS on-line archive of journals.

The valley is rich in granite deposits, with the stone having a slight yellowish hue, which is believed to be the source of the naming of the river running through the valley as the Avon Melyn (translates as Yellow River in English)

I have the book you mention, it’s a cracking little book and my copy is well thumbed. Whilst not

quite the same as the Betchworth wagons, I have some Bachmann side dump cars which have received new chassis to anglicise them somewhat. There will also be some low sided open wagons for setts and kerbstones.

114743F0-76A3-4FD1-973D-2C96AA1A6A91.jpeg

• Like 3

Interesting.

I scratch-built a few Betchworth wagons (they are really small), and some similar-ish ones from an "oop north" quarry, in 15mm/ft, from wood and brass, and I also bought a rake of the Bachmann ones, which have sat untouched and unused for c15 years, because I decided that they looked too American. What you have done by changing them to inside frames and curly wheels does help a lot.

28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Interesting.

I scratch-built a few Betchworth wagons (they are really small), and some similar-ish ones from an "oop north" quarry, in 15mm/ft, from wood and brass, and I also bought a rake of the Bachmann ones, which have sat untouched and unused for c15 years, because I decided that they looked too American. What you have done by changing them to inside frames and curly wheels does help a lot.

Thank you, if I want the wagons to tip stone into standard gauge wagons then I think there will be a compromise to be made between prototype fidelity and robustness to be made. Have just done three so far and have yet to run any trials to see if they work.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you back posting. The FJs look good. I thing I bought last year was one of the Accucraft SM32 Dolgoch's having driven Dolgoch to Bryn Glas and back it was a must have. To you driving the big Dolgoch must be old hat by now although you are probably suffering TalyLlyn withdrawl symptoms during lockdown.

Don

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Another long break between posting, however.... things are stirring in the Melyn Valley. 

Have managed to reduce the ‘ to do’ list that’s kept me from the modelling bench (apart from lack of modelling mojo) these last few months. The Diploma in Occupational H&S I was doing has been finished off after 18 months, I’m now free from Executor duties and there’s even been some steam engine therapy in Wales. 

We also now have a little girl who is mostly sleeping in until after 6am rather than insisting that each (and every!) day should start with a 5, so there’s some more energy to do some modelling. 

Part of my loss of modelling mojo was down to dissatisfaction with my layout efforts- my wood working and track building skills are somewhat lacking, the result being wonky boards and track with unreliable running with regular derailments. And there’s little point in building models if I can’t build somewhere for them to run!

However, all hope is not lost. Since I started this project, laser cut baseboard kits have become available to help in the wood working department and Peco have brought out the set track points, which are about the same size as the 1in4 points I’d built and I was planning on covering the track in vegetation anyway!

Realisation dawned that to be successful, I’d have to start over again so the third attempt at a layout has begun. Since my last post, I’ve been slowly / steadily building some laser cut baseboard kits and today the first track was laid, my milk symphon even runs nicely through the curves. 

Not sure when the next update will be, that will depend on how long the track laying and electrickery takes to do. Suspect the next update will be when something runs under its own power. 

Andrew

673E5FCE-8883-4080-A2E7-7A1C6D7E2F59.jpeg

• Like 10

Ended up with a bonus afternoon modelling today thanks to daughter taking a lengthy nap followed by a soft play date that didn’t require my attendance. Combined with the speed that one can lay Peco track, plenty of progress was made. Seemed rude not to lash up the Powercab before cutting the rails at the board joints...

First time I’ve been able to give the MW a decent test. The run is about 12 ft long on boards 14 1/2 feet long. It will become ‘Abermelyn’, top terminus of the Melyn Valley Railway. Consisting of a loop and four sidings, plus a narrow gauge feeder. 

Just two sidings left to lay, but will need to progress some buildings before they can be laid. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not had as much modelling time as I’d have liked lately, however there has been some progress and the points all have their operating mechanisms fitted. Whilst the layout will be digital DCC, being keen to keep electrickery to a minimum, the points will be controlled by the digits of my fingers. 

When laying the track, a slot was drilled in the baseboards to line up with one of the holes in each of the point tie bars. Directly underneath each point is a Peco point switch mount with a piece of 1.5mm diameter rod connecting the two. From the point switch mount slide, a piece of 2mm diameter rod goes to the front of the baseboard held in place by a piece of suitably sized brass tube glued in the front of the baseboard and on the end, a rubber end to grip hold of and smarten things up.

The boards will receive a thin ply fascia later in the process with some finger sized holes cut in for operation. This should protect the ends of the rods from sticking out to far to be caught and snapped off. 

Next up, best fire up the soldering iron for some electrickery...

8AE63055-5F4D-4CB6-A73B-72C5D0FD3AF9.jpeg

3BDA3A71-A251-4187-B15E-B650B399B8F4.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slower than the usual glacial rate recently, thanks to having our little one at home for 10 days isolating having been in contact with another child who had tested positive for COVID. Thankfully, no symptoms for any of us and life can return to normal-ish from tomorrow. But having her at home full time whilst we both tried to work as well was quite exhausting! Annabel also turned two yesterday so there have been presents to wrap and cakes to bake. 

Amidst all this, I’ve managed to get two of the three main boards wired up. The first has the DCC controller on it, the second has the most wiring on it with three of the six points and also the frog juicers on. However, completing these two meant that there could be some testing / playing. The resultant smooth running proving the wisdom in starting again with laser cut boards and rtr points for me at this stage. 

On to the third board in nap time this afternoon all being well....

Andrew

CBA0ABC6-4057-422E-B320-8F884A1AB00D.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Time for another update... whilst we’re still in lockdown, there’s been some slow steady progress with modelling around my work and family commitments. 

The standard gauge track is fully wired and thoroughly tested and have enjoyed playing trains. And I’ve made a start on the track base for the narrow gauge. 

The testing/ playing has made me come to the conclusion that for operating, three link couplings are rather fiddly and are likely to bring me increasing frustration in operating sessions. And I see operating a layout as something that should be pleasure rather than pain. 

As a result, I’ve ordered some Dingham couplers to try out. In case I don’t decide to go ahead with them, I’ve opted to work on a couple of wagons and a loco to the finished painted stage to test the couplings out rather than changing stock which has been finished of with three link couplings (the freezing temperatures of January also persuading me to model in a warm study rather than a chilly attic). 

Two cattle vans have been built, complete with sheep loads and await final weathering. 

To go with these, I’ve painted my Ixion Manning Wardle tank, ‘Malin’ in the MVR fleet. A standard Ixion model, I’ve added the drain cock linkage to the side of the tank and a lens to the headlamp using pva glue. Finished using my now standard dry brushed weathering technique. 

A couple of quick shots on the bench this evening:

5D0080A4-35DA-4B14-99A8-C2D978DB20BF.jpeg.421bb5c256cf3927e444ce0eec226d72.jpeg

D51F9AAB-A0EB-467C-ABAC-A0998B22C1BD.jpeg.8fd79b96ab87b1d347c9b290a5e38cb1.jpeg

23BC5DBB-5ED3-4466-88E8-60599CC696B5.jpeg.2bc6b25694e3a2d0cb1bac07bf9304f4.jpeg

24485351-0B53-4358-892E-BDA903996A62.jpeg.27a6a0488f9ab43e1064cbdb06a9ffc2.jpeg

Andrew

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andrew,

I have fitted all my locos and, as yet, limited stock with Dinghams. They are glued in place through the buffer beams. To get consistency of height I made up a little jig that fits in the track and supports the hook or loop whilst setting. (an idea borrowed from another RMweb member IIRC).

Purely under test conditions they have been pretty reliable, although I don’t use Peco set track as mentioned above.

Graham

E968E103-7573-4CBB-8695-CF00084997AA.jpeg

64EDFAA1-F80E-4519-B580-8CC159B4CD72.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with Dinghams is they are handed so you have to keep all stock the same way round. Not helpful if you use a cassette type fiddle yard (or a train turntable come to that). One of the easiet and quite discrete is Lincups  you can still have the three links fitted and stock will lift out of a train with no trouble. Lacks a delay but a cocktail stick (painted black to be less visible ) can uncouple anywhere very easy if away from an uncoupler.

I have used 3 links for 40 years but if I find it getting too hard I will go for the Lincups.

Good to see you are all well and finding time to do a bit of modelling

Don 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Just a word of warning on the dinghams they don't like Peco set track and your stock and track need to be dead level or they don't work as well as they could.

Marc

Thank you. Would expect there to be a need for consistency of height for auto couplers of any sort to work. 

Thought that the curves might be an issue, hence the desire to test a couple of wagons and a loco and see how I get on. 

Thanks,

Andrew

2 hours ago, PMP99 said:

Hi Andrew,

I have fitted all my locos and, as yet, limited stock with Dinghams. They are glued in place through the buffer beams. To get consistency of height I made up a little jig that fits in the track and supports the hook or loop whilst setting. (an idea borrowed from another RMweb member IIRC).

Purely under test conditions they have been pretty reliable, although I don’t use Peco set track as mentioned above.

Graham

E968E103-7573-4CBB-8695-CF00084997AA.jpeg

64EDFAA1-F80E-4519-B580-8CC159B4CD72.jpeg

Thanks Graham, that’s a nifty looking height gauge. I’ve used height gauges before in 7mm narrow gauge modelling. Should I adopt Dingham’s then I can see a height gauge appearing. 

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

The trouble with Dinghams is they are handed so you have to keep all stock the same way round. Not helpful if you use a cassette type fiddle yard (or a train turntable come to that). One of the easiet and quite discrete is Lincups  you can still have the three links fitted and stock will lift out of a train with no trouble. Lacks a delay but a cocktail stick (painted black to be less visible ) can uncouple anywhere very easy if away from an uncoupler.

I have used 3 links for 40 years but if I find it getting too hard I will go for the Lincups.

Good to see you are all well and finding time to do a bit of modelling

Don 

Thanks Don, not as much modelling time as I’d like, but we are well and you can’t grumble at that in the current climate. 

I don’t intend for stock to get turned on my layout so the single ended nature of dinghams shouldn’t be a problem and I was attracted to them by the fact that they fit in place of the draw hooks without any other modifications. 

I’ve never heard of Lincups couplings and a quick web search has drawn a blank. Shall see what I can find out about them, if you’ve got any info on them then I’d be grateful to see it. 

Andrew