Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you back here Andy, I had forgotten about your move to standard gauge as I always think of you as being narrow minded . . . . .

I guess you were at TR when we had our local NG event a couple of weeks ago - Allen from Grange and Hodder has some of their new laser cut modular baseboards on display - having something like that might be better than testing your woodworking skills on butchering timber ! Although they have standard sizes in stock, custom boards can be made to fit the location
http://www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

If anyone wants to know what Andrew's Chopper looks like ( !! ), they are sold by Paul Martin at EDM Models
http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Glues/gluestools.html#Tools

Thanks Mike, and top salesman points for the link to my chopper! Must say, it's a great piece of kit, even if I do end up cutting myself whenever I use it, you'd think I'd know the blade was sharp by now...

Think it's good to broaden your horizons every once in a while, don't worry, the upper reaches of the Melyn Valley are reached by narrow gauge rails, but if I try and model them as well at the moment then I fear nothing will get done!

Saw those baseboards at Warley and they look rather nice, though I do like to challenge my skills when modeling. If I don't succeed in making my own then I'll be putting an order in! But will try and make my own first.

Yes, it was one of the Workshop Weekend working parties on the TR that I attend and I was there, I'd been unable to make the autumn ones due to work, then Sod's Law the January date clashed! We spent Saturday under carriages doing examinations and maintenance work on their brake gear, followed by some rather tasty roast lamb and a few beer in the pub at Abergynolwyn in the evening.

We also spent some time fitting some new style triple valves (which should hopefully reduce maintenance) on enough carriages to make a short set up. Did mean that on Sunday morning we got to light an engine up (made cooking breakfast easier) and took them out for a test run :)

Cheers,

Andrew

post-11098-0-94740200-1423125781_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-01017000-1423125928_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I thought that photo from the cab was on the TR but I couldn't remember the track being that straight. Was it from Dolgoch which I had the pleasure of driving to Brynglas and back.

Some nice work on the models. The MW o-4-ot will look nice in black with POW feathers on it. Well that is the aim for mine. Dragon models do some nice Cambrian stock which will add to the Welsh feel.

Small layouts require a lot more planning to get the placement of the turnouts spot on as moving a few inches can affect the working. The exhibition layout I built was 3m long including the FY which had sidings in front. It was based on a 1m max train length. Maybe the move will give you more room.

Best wishes

Don

Hi Don,

Yes, it is the TR, the long straight climbing out of Brynglas, I'd let my fireman drive so had some time to take photos and watch the scenery go by as he'd put a good fire in for me.

Chris Basten from Dragon Models has had one finished as Cambrian No 22 complete with the POW feathers, however the transfers to do that are no longer available, plus I fancy something a little different...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi

I would have to agree that this kit is not for a beginner. Although this was our first kit that we produced in 1999. Our kits now have a skill rating from 1 to 4, where level one in relatively easy to build and level four being the most difficult. This particular wagon is rated at skill level 4.

Marc Dobson

Furness Wagon Co   

• Like 2

Hi

I would have to agree that this kit is not for a beginner. Although this was our first kit that we produced in 1999. Our kits now have a skill rating from 1 to 4, where level one in relatively easy to build and level four being the most difficult. This particular wagon is rated at skill level 4.

Marc Dobson

Furness Wagon Co

Thanks Marc, I'd agree with that! Makes me even more pleased that I persevered and finished it off now :) does make into an interesting little wagon and suitably different to the wooden bodied wagons. Also got one of your NSR van kits in the 'to build' drawer, think that might be a little more straight forward...

Cheers,

Andrew

The station building has got to the stage where progress is slower as it's got to the fiddly detailing and painting stage, a stage a find very enjoyable and one not to be rushed.

By the end of last week, the external painting of the building had been completed and the glazing fitted before heading off to Tywyn for the weekend. the main reason for going was a party to celebrate my girlfriend's Dad turning 60. Lunches this week have been left overs from the hog roast, delicious!!

On Saturday I was able to spend the day on the TR, at lunchtime our Chief Engineer asked if I'd like to take a gang and a loco down to Wharf yard to do some shunting. You'll need re-railing ramps, load straps, strops and some help so not your usual shunting!! Was great fun in the sunshine in parts of the yard I'd not seen unearthed for years, though we were ready for the first pint after.... Sadly, I doubt this scene is easily modelled.

Cheers,

Andrew

post-11098-0-56158900-1423664015_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-02915700-1423664033_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Back to the modelling... The canopy is complete and ready for fitting after the roof has been laid.

In the past I've used Slaters tile sheets and been disappointed with them being too thick and having difficulty hiding the burrs that form when they're cut. This time I'm using a product that's new to me, laser cut roof sheets from York Modelmaking (no connection other than as a customer). Ordered online, delivered in 48 hours and they look the part, even being self adhesive. Having chosen my colours, should just require some light weathering when finished. I'm rather pleased with them

post-11098-0-50951900-1423664859_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-16544000-1423664874_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating project Andrew, can't think why I havent seen it before. 

Re the varnishing discussion earlier, I don't varnish locomotives if I can help it, I like the Halfords sprayed finish.  I do varnish the transfers, (HMRS are very shiny) by very carefully brush-painting the transfer only so that a join-line is not obvious.

Cheers, dave.

PS Interesting choice of title for the railway, MVR, sounds vaguely familiar....

Fascinating project Andrew, can't think why I havent seen it before. 

Re the varnishing discussion earlier, I don't varnish locomotives if I can help it, I like the Halfords sprayed finish.  I do varnish the transfers, (HMRS are very shiny) by very carefully brush-painting the transfer only so that a join-line is not obvious.

Cheers, dave.

PS Interesting choice of title for the railway, MVR, sounds vaguely familiar....

Thanks Dave, it seems that we all have a different way of finishing off our models and whether to varnish or not. If we all used the same methods then life would be dull! If a model is brush painted then I varnish can help to flatten out brush marks. Horses for courses I guess!

Agreed, the initials MVR aren't the most original, but took a lot of searching to find a river name that I could live with. Melyn means yellow in Welsh, so the Afon Melyn is the Yellow River, sounds vaguely familiar too.....

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

That shunting in Wharf yard looks great fun possibly hard work but still fun. Where's the green I'm jealous button.

The building looks good too.

Don

Thanks Don, was indeed good fun, but rather tiring with all the obstacles, good job the boss gae us the job on a sunny day! The wagon we retrieved was one of the flat wagons which are ex-Ffes slate wagons. It had been at the back of the Aberdyfi headshunt for the best part of a decade with an ex MOD flat wagon (2ft 6 gauge awaiting refurbishment and regauging) upturned on top. Over time, this had been punted off the end with the MOD flat moved on its bearers thanks to some 'delicate' shunting by the Outdoor Gang and was half covered in brambles. Took a couple of hours and a lot of swearing!

Cheers,

Andrew

A happy afternoon with some relaxing music and the roof is slated. Must say I'm impressed with these parts, the only downside being how fiddly the ridge tiles are. Also added some lead flashing made from self adhesive address labels which I use for home brew labels.

From my study I can see out over some of the slate roofs of Tutbury which helped remind me that often courses of slates get closer together towards the top. It's only looking at the photo now that the ridge tiles are on that I realise I could've thinned down another course and squeezed it in. Its less noticeable in reality than it does photographed in close up.

Tomorrow will see some more painting and blending in.

post-11098-0-23566300-1423687420_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8

After a weekend of non-railway related stuff, beer festivals and Valentines type based entertainment, I've managed to finish off the station building, plus built a bench to sit under the canopy. Here's a quick iPhone photo (hence not the best quality) before I head off to work:

post-11098-0-26826500-1424167700_thumb.jpg

Before starting the next job, I'll treat the modelling desk to its usual post model completion tidy up. Plus there are a couple of other distractions. I'm not a great reader of the popular modelling press because of its preference for out the box 'oo' and inserting their mags inside plastic bags so I can't see what's in them! However, the lack of plastic bag and inclusion of Giles' "The End of the Line" in BRM and Tim Tincknell's "Plaxtol Road" in RM have led to an extravagance of purchasing this month and await reading.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 5

Looking at the photo I posted yesterday after getting home from work on a larger screen, I realised just how poor a photo it was! After finishing a model, I usually look at it again the following day to see whether I'm happy with it or whether it highlights anything I'm not happy with that needs working on. Doing so in the sunshine this morning, I took a bit more time over the photos so a couple of better ones are attached:

post-11098-0-73832200-1424252217_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-45579700-1424252247_thumb.jpg

Think in future I might have to get the proper camera out!

And finally, one last photo. I've run out of excuses / procrastination to not embark on the woodwork now....

post-11098-0-55319500-1424252410_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 10

In his latest book, comedian Dave Gorman opens with "They say men can't multitask but I can multi-procrastinate. It's damaging my ability to uni-task". This is a statement I very much resemble, so rather than continuing with some woodwork this morning, I spent a happy hour fettling some ground frame bits.

Back in post 23, I'd started a Lasercraft Devon Callington Ground Frame kit, this was put to one side whilst the station building was completed. With the completion of the station building, the ground frame is back in the middle of the workbench. Having built the basic structure, the next job is to work out an interior before going any further. For this I'm using parts from the Springside Models detailing kit. Being a signalling volunteer on the Talyllyn in addition to my loco work, it's fair to say I've taken a fairly pedantic approach!

I'm envisioning a platform mounted ground frame, adjacent to the main building, so wouldn't have a separate signalman. There'll be the usual frame, a token instrument, a register desk, clock, phone, notice board and some cupboards.

post-11098-0-86968800-1424440643_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-77707400-1424440668_thumb.jpg

Though looking at the trio of station staff, not sure whether you'd trust any of them with signalling trains. Next train's gone...

post-11098-0-71226900-1424440738_thumb.jpg

Right, best get back into the attic and get the saw out!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 10

Had a quiet few days modelling wise, partly caused by some 3am alarm calls for work and partly by doing other things over the weekend. The ground frame is making slow but steady progress with lots of fiddly painting tasks! Plus there was this...

post-11098-0-82747700-1424894406_thumb.jpg

Last week was the annual Camping, Caravan & Motorhome show at the NEC. Spread over five halls and six days wit something like 100,000 people through the doors, it makes any model railway show seem small!

Talyllyn No 3 called in on the last leg of its three year World Tour (of England & Wales) before returning to the TR to act as a centrepiece attracting people to visit 'Cadeair Country' in southern Snowdonia. Over six days, about a fifth of those through the doors took away information on what's on offer in the area, as well as Talyllyn stuff. Hopefully it will attract a few more visitors to my favourite part of Wales.

In addition to the Ground Frame, I've also been progressing with some woodwork. Longer ago than I'd care to admit to, fellow 7mmNGA Trent Valley Group member Tim was set up for woodwork and helped saw up some 6mm and 12mm ply to act as bits to make baseboards from. These have been altered and added to plus some 2 by 1 soft wood cut to three inch lengths.

I'll be making baseboards to a similar style to the last ones we built for the TVAG, which I helped with. Namely 6mm ply with softwood sandwich / beams and a 12mm ply top, nailed or screwed together with wood glue. I've also gained a few ideas from Barry Norman 's magnum opus too.

With a day off today, I've got the last of my cutting list cut and a start can be made on a couple of 3ft 6in by 2ft boards. As I need to be able to man handle them easily on my own, I've reduced the size down from the traditional 4ft length. Also, they will fit in my car...

Before finishing in time to start cooking dinner, I was able to nail and glue the first piece of woodwork (a sense of achievement in itself!). It'll be a front beam, the 12mm ply top will butt up to the taller side which will be contoured to suit the ground cover later on.

post-11098-0-19617300-1424895461_thumb.jpg

The boards will also have a low back scene built in, shorter than I would ideally like, but better than nothing.

Lie in tomorrow, alarm set for 3.45am! So it's off to bed for me now. If I'm not too tired, I'll be up in the attic glueing screwing and hitting things after work

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Been a couple of weeks since the last update, work has intervened for the most part. A week of 3am alarm calls, going straight into a week of getting home from work about 1am without a day off in between, combined with very cold temperatures meant I didn't get into the attic much to carry on with the sawdust manufacture.

I did however carry on with the ground frame hut and the slow process of painting and detailing. The interior detail is now finished, mainly from a Springside interior set, some parts have been modified and now waiting the box to be finished. I also added an embossed plastikard layer of brick as I didn't like the laser cut detail on the kit.

post-11098-0-91903900-1426190563_thumb.jpg

The last coat of cream is drying as I type, then it's onto the more interesting colours. The painting and detailing always takes far longer than the rest of the build put together!

At the end of that fortnight, a weekend off was spent in Tywyn for my last workshop session of the winter, my next visit will be playing with the toys rather than help mend them. Sunday afternoon saw an opportunity for a spot of gricing amongst the first daffodils of spring up at Rhydy.

post-11098-0-70068700-1426190871_thumb.jpg

This week has also seen a return to the attic (warmer weather has helped too!) and have succeeded in making my first baseboard, a proud moment!

post-11098-0-75060000-1426191011_thumb.jpg

Think the photo taken in a dark room is as close a scrutiny as I want! Lots of wood glue, nails and a few screws in there holding it together. Have also firmed up a few ideas of how I'd improve the construction I'm the future. Construction wasn't helped by my battery drill failing half way through so was more hand tools than I'd want too. Now for a couple more... At least with all the components made, the actual fixing them all together doesn't take that long.

Have also decided to dispense with a backscene fixed to the boards, instead there will be a removable one which can be taller and more versatile to boot. The front and rear ply boards visible will be shaped to fit the contours when they're decided on. Thanks to a before work coffee meet up with Tim to come to that decision.

Now to relax with a cuppa and Issue 3 of the Finescale Modelling Review which arrived today.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 10

Looks very good, Andrew - you should (shouldn't) see my carpentry close up! It's nice to see you left yourself depth for 'dimension' ....

That box with all its innards is looking really nice...