Hornby Mk2e coaches

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Well , 

I’m a tad confused about what’s available.

Bachmann do premium 2Fs

Hornby do premium 2Es and railroad 2Es ? ( have I got this all right and are the railroad ones the former Dapol / airfix ?)

all i want is something. That may have gone cross country to the West Country in early 80s...

The most widely used on cross country services was the Mk2e. Hornby’s Mk2e uses the same tooling for the premium and railroad versions. IIRC the difference was in the decoration and plastic wheels on the railroad ones. The former Airfix/Dapol are Mk2d.

Personally I’d be happy with the Hornby Mk2e if they’d got the position and depth of the grey band correct, despite them having a solebar that doesn’t exist on the real coaches.

Edited by brushman47544

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 09/06/2019 at 07:02, MGR Hooper! said:

Bachmann do a higher spec Mk2F
Hornby do a mid spec Mk2F

Hornby do a higer spec Mk2E (detailed paint job on mid spec tooling)
Hornby do a budget spec Mk2E (basic paint job on a mid spec tooling)

Hornby do a mid spec Mk2D (ex-Dapol/Airfix tooling, sold in the main range with a detailed paint job)

Hello MGR

I don't suppose you can tell me a fool-proof way of telling which of the Hornby ones are 'higher spec' and which are Railroad, can you please? I'm really trying not to sound negative but it seems hard to tell... I'm looking for one for a repaint so the livery isn't an issue, just a case of trying to get one that's as close to accurate as possible.

There again, we are talking about a manufacturer who had 19 yard long 7 windowed MK3s.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello MGR

I don't suppose you can tell me a fool-proof way of telling which of the Hornby ones are 'higher spec' and which are Railroad, can you please? I'm really trying not to sound negative but it seems hard to tell... I'm looking for one for a repaint so the livery isn't an issue, just a case of trying to get one that's as close to accurate as possible.

I don't worry about the paint spec - all my Mk2s end up in yellow anyway!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello MGR

There again, we are talking about a manufacturer who had 19 yard long 7 windowed MK3s.

Plastic wheels, Missing end of coach printed details (such as end details like TOPs codes, Ohle flashes and ”C1”)

Railroad (note plain blue ends)

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69417/hornby_r4622_mk2e_tso_second_open_w5860_in_br_blue_grey_railroad_range/stockdetail.aspx

main range

https://picclick.co.uk/Rake-6x-Hornby-MK2E-British-Rail-Inter-City-Blue-173165800730.html

note some earlier main range examples came fitted with lights.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

I don't worry about the paint spec - all my Mk2s end up in yellow anyway!

Hello Mick. I haven't logged in RMW for nearly 4 years, but I have dropped by now and again to see your work progress. One doesn't have to be particularly interested in Departmental stock to find your working methods educational. In fact, having recently found a facebook page devoted to Departmental (though mostly the blue/ red era) I have to admit to a bit of an interest developing there- a nice easy HSTRC conversion from PHD should be a good start.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Plastic wheels, Missing end of coach printed details (such as end details like TOPs codes, Ohle flashes and ”C1”)

Railroad (note plain blue ends)

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69417/hornby_r4622_mk2e_tso_second_open_w5860_in_br_blue_grey_railroad_range/stockdetail.aspx

main range

https://picclick.co.uk/Rake-6x-Hornby-MK2E-British-Rail-Inter-City-Blue-173165800730.html

note some earlier main range examples came fitted with lights.

Many thanks abd968008. I'm looking for a conversion to a Scotrail DBSO, so it will have a complete repaint and then re-wheeled to P4. So from my perspective would I be right in saying it won't make any difference whether I go for Railroad or main? It really is the same body/ chassis?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello MGR

Hornby's higher spec Mk2E coaches have the following:-
- Full paint job with all the details (extra lining, signage etc on the body sides and ends)
- Metal wheels
- Details picked out on the bogies

R4611_3004738_Qty1_2.jpg.e49d241a797d2b225a8eec89b769230c.jpg

Hornby's lower spec Mk2E coaches have the following:-
- Basic paint jobs (lacking all finer detail, lining and signage)
- Plastic wheels
- Bogies don't have any details picked out in paint.

R4622_3004749_Qty1_2.jpg.7c27dcab578774e2d4c77786cfa29dcc.jpg

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Many thanks abd968008. I'm looking for a conversion to a Scotrail DBSO, so it will have a complete repaint and then re-wheeled to P4. So from my perspective would I be right in saying it won't make any difference whether I go for Railroad or main? It really is the same body/ chassis?

Yes, same body & chassis.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello Mick. I haven't logged in RMW for nearly 4 years, but I have dropped by now and again to see your work progress. One doesn't have to be particularly interested in Departmental stock to find your working methods educational. In fact, having recently found a facebook page devoted to Departmental (though mostly the blue/ red era) I have to admit to a bit of an interest developing there- a nice easy HSTRC conversion from PHD should be a good start.

Interesting stuff. Out of interest why are you doing a conversion as opposed to using a Bachmann ScotRail DBSO?

Thanks MGR/ ADB968008. Sorry to push on that point (body/chassis) but I really couldn't quite believe that the only difference was painting (not done too well, I'd suggest) and metal/ plastic wheels. But it's that solebar... that hurts the eye. I think it's time to look on Ebay for some Airfix 2Ds...

6 hours ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Interesting stuff. Out of interest why are you doing a conversion as opposed to using a Bachmann ScotRail DBSO?

A reasonable question, given that the Bachmann DBSO is such a good model. Firstly there's the issue of availability. The only one I have seen for sale at the moment is on ebay for £170. Of course, prices will always reflect demand but I think the vendor is pushing his luck there, so I'll pass on that.

Secondly there's the sense of achievement. Can I convert an older model and sit it alongside a Bachmann one later on without it looking iffy?

Edited by Derekstuart
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Thanks MGR/ ADB968008. Sorry to push on that point (body/chassis) but I really couldn't quite believe that the only difference was painting (not done too well, I'd suggest) and metal/ plastic wheels. But it's that solebar... that hurts the eye. I think it's time to look on Ebay for some Airfix 2Ds...

A reasonable question, given that the Bachmann DBSO is such a good model. Firstly there's the issue of availability. The only one I have seen for sale at the moment is on ebay for £170. Of course, prices will always reflect demand but I think the vendor is pushing his luck there, so I'll pass on that.

Secondly there's the sense of achievement. Can I convert an older model and sit it alongside a Bachmann one later on without it looking iffy?

The DBSOs were converted from Mk2f coaches, not Mk2e, so if you want to convert a cheaper coach, your would be better off starting with a Hornby Mk2f. A Hornby Mk2d would be much more complicated because the non-driving vestibule area would also need to be altered.

EDIT: Hattons (other retailers are available) has a Hornby Mk2f BSO R4918 in stock  new at £31.50 https://www.hattons.co.uk/430505/hornby_r4918_mk2f_bso_brake_second_open_m9534_in_br_blue_and_grey/stockdetail.aspx

Edited by brushman47544

2 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Absolutely fair enough. Great sense of satisfaction from doing it yourself. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The DBSOs were converted from Mk2f coaches, not Mk2e, so if you want to convert a cheaper coach, your would be better off starting with a Hornby Mk2f. A Hornby Mk2d would be much more complicated because the non-driving vestibule area would also need to be altered.

EDIT: Hattons (other retailers are available) has a Hornby Mk2f BSO R4918 in stock  new at £31.50 https://www.hattons.co.uk/430505/hornby_r4918_mk2f_bso_brake_second_open_m9534_in_br_blue_and_grey/stockdetail.aspx

Hello Brushmann 47544

I'm aware of that, but thank you anyway. I've found a H2F BSO in our local shop, so I might as well- it's at a price cheap enough not to offend if it doesn't go right. However, despite the issues with the Airfix 2D for this, I always found its crispness of moulding to be good, but on the Hornby version there are some bits that let it down (the obvious one for me was the small vent over the main doors at the end).

BTW what changes do you mean for the non-driving end? The only ones I can think of are below the floor.

Thanks
Derek

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

BTW what changes do you mean for the non-driving end? The only ones I can think of are below the floor.

Perhaps the difference isn't visible externally - it's ages since I've looked, but on a Mk2d the loo is bigger and the corridor is offset, whereas on a Mk2e and 2f the corridor is central.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...

A plea, to the knowledgeable folks on RMWEB, for assistance in identifying Hornby MK2E/F BSO under frame, seating unit and bogies. 

To sum up, I got a bunch of bits from a well known auction site. Amongst them was, what I believe to be, a Hornby MK2E or F BSO chassis, fitted with both B4 bogies and a BSO seating unit. Unusually there are none of the usual Hornby R numbers or any serial numbers that I can see, although it does have Hornby made in China on the underside of the chassis. The bogies are the type that have the steps moulded on them. The reason for my enquiry is I’d like to know if these are available as spares etc, as I’m upgrading a large collection of various MK2Ds, Es and Fs and I have more bodies than chassis. 

The photo shows the parts in question, the seating unit was originally a plain blue plastic colour. 

33D69B69-983F-4CA0-9015-4187C92B7C1E.jpeg.a4a3e5ac508e5034696c6c3a4c32967f.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Compared to my DRS Mk2f BSO there look to be quite a number of differences, so I would suggest the chassis is Mk2e. The Mk2f bogies do have a moulded step but only on the right hand side (from underneath with coupling pointing up). I’ve never has a Mk2d model so not sure about those.

• RMweb Gold

One is a bogie of the latest Hornby Mk2e/f BSO brake end the other a mk2e/f TSO or BSO passenger end.

The giveaway is the NEM pocket for the coupling, vs the push fit of Dapol/Airfix mk2d’s, though Hornby did do some mk2d’s recently with a modified screw fit narrow loop coupling.

The one with the yellow warning strip is a TSO or non Brake end, it has carriage board end steps (the yellow stripe).... is used on the Scotrail and DRS coaches.

3C2EEFFE-0773-431D-B7F3-C030BA9AB819.jpeg.ebe1e97cc3a8dc5812203a1b738d97d3.jpeg

Yours look the same. I did bulk buy a large number (20+) of Hornby Blue/Grey mk2e BSOs, at £12 in a sale about 4-5 years back and subsequently stripped them of their lighting units, bogies and wiring. No one wanted the BSOs with lights.

A year Later I started disposing of the bodies, internals piece meal on ebay, using the metal wheels on my stock, swapping with various plastic wheel stock, keeping the light units, and the bogies with pickups etc and got rid of the rest.. so i’m guilty of feeding ebay with a lot of bso leftover bits, i’m sure i’m not alone.

Ive reused most now on my IC and Vtec  and DRS rakes though Ive still got just enough to make one more rake.

AA3BBED3-31AE-47E8-8F7E-04F956BD8F80.jpeg.0b83cd37fd03126d2365d00b1c85f4d1.jpeg

F89A0FF9-4063-4CA3-8ACC-E5EBA851F7E0.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...