New Farish products for 2014/2015

Crepello

I wrote "inter-city" (so ergo Blue and Grey)   Spot the hyphen  ;)

Even if the Mk1 Sleepers did come in InterCity or INTERCITY liveries, a call for just an SLC kind of defeats the whole point of having a complete set.  Then we would need SLF and SLSTP to match.  

And of course a light bar ready coach aint much use to anybody without aaaaaa.......light bar! 

I thought the implication was erm..... implied and an easy spot to make.

If I wanted to be pedantic 'inter-city' in your case would be a logo and not a livery.

I have to agree with the comments about electrics, they may not sell as well as others but there is a market. Perhaps doing 250 of a model instead of 500 may give a higher profit - the manufacturing cost may go up but the number of models sold as 'bargains' will be lower.

Despite this oft made claim about electrics not selling well, I wonder why Farish keep producing more if they don't sell! It isn't a new claim and yet we have had the CEP and Desiro produced plus various re-liveries of 87s and 90s....

The 87s and 90s (and 91s) really don't seem to sell - Hattons have had examples of all three types drastically reduced for months and still haven't sold out.

The 90 and 91 are pretty poor models though. The 87 is a bit better.

Could the poor sales of the 87 and 90 be linked to the fact that they are now one of the last remaining models yet to even be revised to dcc ready standard? I dare say buyers of the old farish mk3s have since migrated to the better model from Dapol for opens and buffets.same analogy.

As a few astute posters have already suggested, a retooled 40 is surely a strong possibility. Also a 4MT 4-6-0 and either a 56xx or retooled 61xx are not improbable.

Looking at Bachmann’s new products in recent years all of the following are also contenders:

7F 2-8-0

Robinson ROD 04

City

and just maybe the delightful little L&YR 2-4-2T.

On a personal level, I’m hoping for a further southern announcement or 2, although we're still eagerly anticipating the Merchant Navy, N15 and Std 4MT tank as well as a few choice items of rolling stock. There have been rumours in the not too distant past about a Lord Nelson.  Also maybe - (all current or future Bachmann products):

C Class 0-6-0

E4 0-6-2T

H2 4-4-0

2EPB (although reportedly poor sales of many of their electrics make this maybe a bit of a longer shot than we might like)  

From (a very, very long way off in the deepest, darkest) leftfield maybe they’ll stick their necks out and delight us with a class 71 / 74.

Or maybe not.

M

Could the poor sales of the 87 and 90 be linked to the fact that they are now one of the last remaining models yet to even be revised to dcc ready standard?

All the comments from Farish about "poor sellers" date back to before Blue Ribband spec models were launched. The 3 electrics that are apparently clogging up Hattons with unsold models were new in 2013, with stocks from previous years now apparently sold out...

I don't think they are fast sellers, but I suspect that Farish know exactly how many they can sell, and what level of discounting they need to apply to retailer stock to achieve those sales. It's probably not yet economic to retool them further than the upgraded chassis they gained when reintroduced.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to see a 124 Trans Pennine DMU. As far as I can tell it would only require tooling for the  2 types of motor unit (driving MC & non-driving MBS). the centre 2 coaches would be a standard buffet and SO. There may be some reluctance given that a the Blue Pullman 6 car sets haven't exactly sold out but the TPs lasted much longer and could therefore appeal to more modellers across the eras.  Motors could go in the MBS coaches. Cheaper to make than a BP and more people could put one on their layout.

Peter

I am one of the suggested few that campaign for further MUs and buy as many as I can (12car 4CEP and Desiro owner). However, if the feeling continues to be that modern 'electric' doesnt sell well in N, does the same apply to diesel MUs? The Turbostar and Sprinter have been long runners and get annual livery expansion. Yet in the same time we havent seen a miniture Networker Turbo, long desired, at least by me :) The Midland Pullman came from successful community campaigning(?) but only Dapol have produced further DMU variants. Farish have stuck with first gen traction in this department apart from the 150.

Its quite the contrast in the computer generated virtual world of train simulation. ONLY modern image sells, with anything pre-TOPS unable to justify developer investment. There is a vocal minority clamoring for Steam traction, while the majority appear satisfied with a constant outpouring of up to the minute designs.

Is there an age divide? Pre-computer / pre-TOPS models; Post-computer / post-TOPS simulation.

Lucazone -  take the comments you see dotted about on RMWeb whenever electrics appear on wishlist threads that they dont sell with a pinch of salt. 

Such comments rarely seem to come from folk that actually model the electric era so you can perhaps smell some rather biased ideas a mile off. 

Incidentally is the newer chassis on the Class 87 a good one and is it easy to convert to DCC?  I think the older model had a rough Poole chassis didnt it?

Lucazone -  take the comments you see dotted about on RMWeb whenever electrics appear on wishlist threads that they dont sell with a pinch of salt. 

Such comments rarely seem to come from folk that actually model the electric era so you can perhaps smell some rather biased ideas a mile off. 

Incidentally is the newer chassis on the Class 87 a good one and is it easy to convert to DCC?  I think the older model had a rough Poole chassis didnt it?

Hi,

The chassis on the new 87 runs very nicely and smoothly but the bogie centres are wrong, the bogies are too far forward by approx 1 mm. The mounting arrangement for the bogie can be rotated 180 degrees which corrects this but then you have to butcher the drive shafts to suit, I did this last night to my Farish 87 and it did not take too long in the end.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77518-dallam-sidings-wcml-warrington-2001-n-gauge/page-4

I believe this has only occured since the chassis was updated. I think the class 90 is affected in this way also.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is the standard Farish China-era chassis type and is easy to convert (there are plenty of tutorials on the web for this type of chassis). People often complain about the 87 and 90, but they don't take too much effort to improve.  If the 87 really bothers you see if you can get hold of the TPM 87 kit which is better.

Cheers, Mike

Yeah I always thought perhaps those bogies were a knats cock too far apart.  more noticeable with a profile view I reckon.

I do like the current Farish 87 (certainly better than the Poole model) but some dcc lighting would be a welcome addition at some point and a dcc socket. 

I am still awaiting to see what the final choice of artwork Farish are going to use on the InterCity version and whether both models will have as built cab fronts.....hopefully they both will or at least the BR Blue one will.    Both are going to look superb ahead of a rake of Mk3's or Mk2f's.

Yes, it is the standard Farish China-era chassis type and is easy to convert (there are plenty of tutorials on the web for this type of chassis). People often complain about the 87 and 90, but they don't take too much effort to improve.  If the 87 really bothers you see if you can get hold of the TPM 87 kit which is better.

Cheers, Mike

The 87 is definitely the best of the Farish AC electrics. I have one and it runs well. Don't currently have a DCC setup  (still thinking about it), but this model isn't one of those with a circuit board so it would be more difficult, although far from impossible, to add a chip to it. It doesn't have lights, so I usually have it propelling the train with a Dapol DVT (which does have lights) on the front.

I am still awaiting to see what the final choice of artwork Farish are going to use on the InterCity version and whether both models will have as built cab fronts.....hopefully they both will or at least the BR Blue one will.    Both are going to look superb ahead of a rake of Mk3's or Mk2f's.

The blue one might be as preserved, in which case it would need both the original jumper cables and the RCH ones on the cab front.

It would be nice to have some more class 20s in different colours, such as railfreight grey.  Or release twin packs and/or dummy locos.

The 44/45/46 Peaks could do with a dcc ready chassis, and retooled bodys for the later flush front types.

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to see a 124 Trans Pennine DMU. As far as I can tell it would only require tooling for the  2 types of motor unit (driving MC & non-driving MBS). the centre 2 coaches would be a standard buffet and SO. There may be some reluctance given that a the Blue Pullman 6 car sets haven't exactly sold out but the TPs lasted much longer and could therefore appeal to more modellers across the eras.  Motors could go in the MBS coaches. Cheaper to make than a BP and more people could put one on their layout.

Peter

The buffet was completely different and bore no resemblance to the Mk1 RMB. The TS had the same window arrangement as the Mk1 TSO, but the coach side profile was different.

Let's see:

All new:

Class 180 DMU (For a small fleet they've got around a bit and carried several liveries)

Vanwide van in VMV and VEA guises

10' w/b fitted 5-plank (LMS/BR Highfit or equivlent GW design vehicle)

VDA

OTA

Modified versions of existing models.

Split box and flush front Peaks (Split box in Green and Blue, Flush as both 45/1 and 46)

Blue Pullman in WR guise with jumper cables in both blue and silver liveries.

15' bitumen tanker

Mk2a BFK

Reliveries:

New tooling RU in WR chocolate and cream (Why was this missed the first time around?)

47 in Railfreight Distribution, NSE, Res and Virgin

108 Power Twin or 3-car in Blue/Grey (As far as I remember that's a variant/livery combo they've never done)

101 in NSE

Hawksworths in BR Maroon, plus the SK in Blue/Grey and the BG in Blue

Mk1s and Mk2s in NSE. Do the Mk1s in the original 1986 light blue and the Mk2s which lasted longer in the later darker blue for maximum time span.

VGA without the short-lived "Speedlink" boards but with red ends.

Mk3 Sleeper in InterCity Swallow

Mk1 BG in Royal Mail red with yellow lining, and in Newspaper blue.

NEW

Class 85 especially in 1960's livery as they could run alongside steam/diesel

Class 40 Split box, Centre headcode and Disc versions?

8F

2EPB (Bit hopeful with that one but 4 CEPs are available and Hornby/Arnold Brighton Belle due soon to compliment this)

King class

Modified

Updated Peaks and maybe with split boxes?

New Liveries

Midland Pullman in Grey/Blue band with jumper cables

Mk2s in NSE and Intercity

A GWR 43xx Mogul.

One, because I want one.

And two, because the 4mm version that Bachmann do is getting very old and due for an upgrade. It makes sense for Bachmann to do the research and development work for both scales, as they are doing for the 64xx. Dapol are stealing a march on Farish with GWR models, so I can see that Bachmann would want to reclaim some territory.

They will probably do a new large prairie at some stage, although this is not in their 4mm range AFAIK.

Douglas

I suspect that like the rest of us with our particular modelling preferences comments about electrics not selling well are most unlikely to come from those who actually do!!

From my experience though, talking to people on the Bachmann stand at shows I have attended, retailers I know and anecdotally how heavily some models (Dapol 86?) have had to be discounted to shift them it does look to be the case.

Manufacturers are not daft they will do their own research and not just rely on what we say we "want" on groups such as this.

For the same reason I very much doubt I will see an N Gauge K3 (much as I would love one), apparently the 00 one was a very slow seller and when I asked one year at TINGS I was told it would be unlikely.

What do I think we will might see? For steam/diesel transition I think something from the following: -

- A retooled Class 40 looks nailed on given the new 00 one has just been done.

- Ivatt "Flying Pig".

- Unrebuilt "Patriot" - now we have the coreless loco drive and Fowler tender soon to arrive.

- Retooled "Crab" - the old one has been sold out a while and it is in the 00 range.

- Retooled 8F.

- LNER tank loco.

Modern: -

- Retooled 158?

Regards

Roy

I would love to see a Patriot finally released and a parallel boiler scot, it would be great to see some new models, the only thing is based on the length of time it took the Ivatt 2-6-0 to reach the shops we are probably in for a long long wait

just out of interest how big is the N gauge market, as if you read recent articles in the press, it's claimed is not that big??

• RMweb Gold

based on the length of time it took the Ivatt 2-6-0 to reach the shops we are probably in for a long long wait

The Ivatt was something of an exception to the usual release timescale, and Bachmann are on record as stating the delay was partly due to the complexities of fitting the tender drive in use at the time into such a small space. Only when they introduced the new, smaller corless motor did the Ivatt start progressing. Since then things have improved considerably and recent models are appearing more or less in the specified time frame, which from first sight of the EP is usually around 8-10 months.

Tom.

Archived