New Farish products for 2014/2015

Crepello

Seeing as the main diesel classes are increasingly well covered in N (at least in terms of territory claimed in catalogues) along with the BR standard steam locos, big four pacifics etc, I think the question might be less whether electric locos are good sellers, and more whether they are better sellers than the esoteric prototype diesels etc that have so diverted the OO manufacturers? Or indeed compared to the small pre grouping locos that are starting to be tooled up?

We've seen plenty of evidence that limited editions don't sell well in N, so would that limit the chances of the LMS twins, Kestrel etc being produced in N surely? How has the prototype Deltic sold? I get the impression that it has made it into trainsets shows a recognition of limited further regular sales.

Both manufacturers need new tooling each year to drive sales, and plenty of that needs to be locos to drive margins.

So, in this context, the choice for manufacturers is high one off sales (few liveries) with modernisation plan/prototype diesels OR further MUs and electric locos (potential to spread cost over longer period with multiple liveries) - there isn't really much else left!

So, only a matter of time until we get a new 90, 91, the fabled Dapol 92 etc! (He says, optimistically)

• RMweb Gold

I am one of the suggested few that campaign for further MUs and buy as many as I can (12car 4CEP and Desiro owner).

[...]

Is there an age divide? Pre-computer / pre-TOPS models; Post-computer / post-TOPS simulation.

I am fed up with the current weather we have in this country, which stops me running my OO garden layout, on which I want to run the EMUs that I remember from the 1960s. So I am building an indoor N-gauge layout (still in the planning phase) on which I want to run the current stock that runs on Southeastern and Southern. I have calculated that I will need 20 four-car sets of class 375 and 377 electrostars, and I know that will cost me over £2000 if and when someone deigns to bring them out. So I am certainly not one of these mythical people who say that EMUs don't sell. (That doesn't include the Networkers and suburban Electrostars that I'll need too.)

Age divide? Maybe. Someone suggested that we model the railways as they were when we grew up. That's why my OO layout is set in the 1960s. But I can also appreciate today's railways, even though they are totally different now than they were then, and that is why I want ultra-modern stock on my new N-gauge line.

2014 will see the announcement for new models coming later this year at the 25yrs celebration so this thread could stretch......... 

Of all the suggestions so far the Class40 seems the most obvious, yes I would like to see 85s, EPB (4-car 415s) simply because of the memories of riding one, but do not expect them at all.

Rolling stockwise MK2Cs despite their relatively short front line life now have (or will have) enough locos which would pull them, there are four versions (as far as the window spacing goes) but I doubt whether the Brake First would be considered

Or how about a MK1 RKB or RBK?

But when it comes to "non-sellers" I was surprised the Class 14 was released in N when it was. Does that really have a larger appeal than a Class 85.

So much for my two cents

es grüßt

PC

I do wonder about the future of the Farish Mk3 sleeper given the lovely Dapol Mk3s are here.  I've heard nothing from Dapol to suggest they are going to produce sleepers and by the same token I havent heard the same from Farish to retool their current Mk3 sleeper.  As a model it certainly does lack detail with its printed sides but I cant see them doing a retool just for the sleeper nor the whole Mk3 family either hence why I feel this particular coach is between a rock and hard place.

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder about the future of the Farish Mk3 sleeper given the lovely Dapol Mk3s are here.  I've heard nothing from Dapol to suggest they are going to produce sleepers and by the same token I havent heard the same from Farish to retool their current Mk3 sleeper.  As a model it certainly does lack detail with its printed sides but I cant see them doing a retool just for the sleeper nor the whole Mk3 family either hence why I feel this particular coach is between a rock and hard place.

??? I don't really understand your point - the Farish Mk 3 SLE/P uses the same body as the rest of their Mk 3s so is no better or worse than any other Farisk Mk 3. 

What detail is missing on a slab-sided reasonably flush-glazed Mk 3 with printed body sides?  As a compromise I actually prefer it to Dapol's overly chunky glazing which looks so very wrong for a Mk 3.

Look how flush the windows are on a Mk 3 sleeper: 3653562834_7cebd7feb1.jpg

That is before even looking at the Dapol Mk 3 and whether the shape of the roof is correct!

Sometimes I fear that we get enticed by the idea that new = better, when that isn't always the case!

Cheers, Mike

The traditional response would be to suggest they might tie it in with some other Mk 3 based stock, most obviously a 442 Wessex Electric, or even a Class 317/319/321/455, utilising the same body and roof profiles. However this doesn't seem to be the way manufacturers work these days at all. CAD doesn't seem to get reused, and each product is a discrete new project, making minimal use of standard parts (basically mechanical parts only). 

I suspect the Mk3 sleeper will solider on for a while longer yet. Perhaps Dapol might do one eventually, but not any time soon. 

Besides, as Mike says, the Farish printed sides aren't actually that bad for a Mk3 (whereas they were awful for Mk1s). And additionally, I can't imagine that many modellers are interested in sleepers - we don't often run our layouts in night mode, and the range of operation is very small indeed. 

??? I don't really understand your point - the Farish Mk 3 SLE/P uses the same body as the rest of their Mk 3s so is no better or worse than any other Farisk Mk 3. 

What detail is missing on a slab-sided reasonably flush-glazed Mk 3 with printed body sides?  As a compromise I actually prefer it to Dapol's overly chunky glazing which looks so very wrong for a Mk 3.

Look how flush the windows are on a Mk 3 sleeper: 3653562834_7cebd7feb1.jpg

That is before even looking at the Dapol Mk 3 and whether the shape of the roof is correct!

Sometimes I fear that we get enticed by the idea that new = better, when that isn't always the case!

Cheers, Mike

the other mk3s are covered by the newer Dapol models which i prefer and you couldnt see farish retooling those any time soon but the sleeper was the only non-Dapol model. 

• RMweb Premium

Looking through Farish's range currently on their website (as opposed to items on sale in stores) the number of models identified whose tooling is ten or more years old has somewhat dwindled:

LMS 8F

Classes 25/3, 40, 52, 87, 90, 91, 158, 170

Mk3s,

PCA, PGA, TEA, HEA, MEA, Freightliner container flats (not the twin wagon sets)

I see the 25/3 next to be upgraded once the early 25s appear on the shelves, similarly the 40, 158 and 170 upgraded with DCC capability and working lights.

The 8F is to be upgraded to 21st century standards.

Which leaves the 52, the electrics, Mk3s and Mk4s, and the wagons on this list, will they also be upgraded to modern standards?

Mk4s may reappear when a new ECML franchise is let, the Mk3 sleepers may reappear when new liveries take to the rails, I doubt they'll be retooled given the low demand for these.

However the remaining wagons (PCA, PGA, TEA, HEA, MEA) will eventually be upgraded and the Freightliner container flats may reappear as genuine inner/outer wagon types.

I'd be nice if the Derby Lightweight wen through the shrink ray and would be a logical choice - they've got most of the components already available in the 108. I'd take three sets to carve into other things.

Pix

A couple of predictions

NO Stanier 8F- despite a good amount of commonality with the WD it isn't in the OO range.

NO K3- Bachmann's reps have been falling over themselves at shows to tell me it is their worst seller in OO

NO class 52- Dapol's is too recent.

As to what WILL be announced- I'm happy to wait and see.

All the very best

Les

Bachmann have recently done an LNER fitted chassis with LNER style clasp brakes, used to produce a range of wagons including vans, all steel opens and fruit vans. One wagon not available at present they could do with this chassis is a British Railways Lowfit.

Might they also do the equivalent LMS chassis with LMS style clasp brakes? This would allow them to produce several styles of LMS goods van (which were produced in very large numbers in real life), steel Medfits (which lasted a very long time in departmental use) and some variations of Highfit open goods.

Douglas

All I know is that this could be a very excitng time for us in N gauge, especially if the chaps at Farish realise there is only one decent pre-nationalisation compmany and produce LMS stock by the containerful, I mean take the GWR for example, the tneder locomotives all look the same LOL :)

(Only joking I think at least one new version Castle will join my collection, I even have the spare name plates)

A couple of predictions

NO Stanier 8F- despite a good amount of commonality with the WD it isn't in the OO range.

NO K3- Bachmann's reps have been falling over themselves at shows to tell me it is their worst seller in OO

NO class 52- Dapol's is too recent.

As to what WILL be announced- I'm happy to wait and see.

All the very best

Les

Les

Regarding the 8F, what you say is true, but it didn't stop Bachmann releasing an N "Black Five" when there wasn't one in their 00 range. I suspect that such a large class of locos so widely distributed around the Network (and indeed abroad) will be a prime early targert for a retooled "N" model.

Sadly your with discussions Bachmann  re: the K3 mirror mine. I would think that the 8F plus a retooled "Crab" or brand new Patriot (Especially with the full size new build "Unknown Warrior" having such a high profile) could be higher priority choices plus the Ivatt "Flying Pig". of course.

All of the above said, with the Group Standard tender drive available (and flared tender variant at that - as you have pointed out a rarity on th J39) I would have thought a K3 a relatively cost effective proposition tooling and R&D wise (already done), so maybe, just maybe what we have been told is a "double bluff"....I live in hope!

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Looking through Farish's range currently on their website (as opposed to items on sale in stores) the number of models identified whose tooling is ten or more years old has somewhat dwindled:

LMS 8F

Classes 25/3, 40, 52, 87, 90, 91, 158, 170

Mk3s,

PCA, PGA, TEA, HEA, MEA, Freightliner container flats (not the twin wagon sets)

I see the 25/3 next to be upgraded once the early 25s appear on the shelves, similarly the 40, 158 and 170 upgraded with DCC capability and working lights.

The 8F is to be upgraded to 21st century standards.

Which leaves the 52, the electrics, Mk3s and Mk4s, and the wagons on this list, will they also be upgraded to modern standards?

Mk4s may reappear when a new ECML franchise is let, the Mk3 sleepers may reappear when new liveries take to the rails, I doubt they'll be retooled given the low demand for these.

However the remaining wagons (PCA, PGA, TEA, HEA, MEA) will eventually be upgraded and the Freightliner container flats may reappear as genuine inner/outer wagon types.

Farish surely won't replace their Western--Dapol's is so good there's no point.

• RMweb Premium

I just keep hoping that after the 4CEP Farish might consider another first generation MK1 EMU, the 25Kv 309 'Clacton' Electrics. It's unlikely I know but about all I can do, hope.

Izzy

Suspect Farish will quietly drop the Western from the range without replacement as already happened to its 33 and HST.

Too soon to say for definite that they have dropped the HST, as the most recent one was in the current Crosscountry livery and they might not have released any others yet in any case. Agree that it's likely they will drop it, though. I have their Crosscountry one (got it heavily discounted) and also some Dapol ones and there's really no comparison in terms of how they look - the Dapol one is far better.

If Farish announce a 2EPB then I'll buy a Farish 4CEP. The two compliment each other nicely, but until a EPB comes along - no CEP for me.

The previously mentioned (by many) re-tooled class 40 & 105 DMU would be good.

Mk1 RB/RBR would be nice to go with the Mk2s and also a Mk2 BFK. Sector Era liveries on coaches would be good too - thinking NSE and Intercity Charter.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

If we're frothing, then I'd like to see:-

- VAA / VBA / VDA - i.e. scaled down OO tooling

- TEA - i.e. scaled down OO tooling

- TTAs - Total 1980s livery as they did in OO / Shell Monoblock grey - As they did in OO / ICI Methanol / Ciber-Gige blue - Idea for wagon load trains

- SSA / POA scrap metal wagons - really useful in OO and even more useful in N!

- Class 47 - RF red stripe / BR blue sealed beam headlight / Speedlink / Petroleum sector - not all in the same year!

- Class 31 refurbished body - BR Blue / RF / RF Red Stripe / Triple Grey

- Class 31 "skinhead" disc code body.

- Class 142 Pacer Railbus - Dapol announced in 2011 and we're still waiting!!!!!!

Reasonable assumptions would be:-

- Scaled down Class 40

- Scaled down Class 158 - I suspect 2015-16 before it reaches the shops

- Another run of Mk2As in BR Blue, especially TSOs!

• RMweb Premium

If we're frothing, then I'd like to see:-

- VAA / VBA / VDA - i.e. scaled down OO tooling

- TEA - i.e. scaled down OO tooling

- TTAs - Total 1980s livery as they did in OO / Shell Monoblock grey - As they did in OO / ICI Methanol / Ciber-Gige blue - Idea for wagon load trains

- SSA / POA scrap metal wagons - really useful in OO and even more useful in N!

- Class 47 - RF red stripe / BR blue sealed beam headlight / Speedlink / Petroleum sector - not all in the same year!

- Class 31 refurbished body - BR Blue / RF / RF Red Stripe / Triple Grey

- Class 31 "skinhead" disc code body.

- Class 142 Pacer Railbus - Dapol announced in 2011 and we're still waiting!!!!!!

Reasonable assumptions would be:-

- Scaled down Class 40

- Scaled down Class 158 - I suspect 2015-16 before it reaches the shops

- Another run of Mk2As in BR Blue, especially TSOs!

I agree with a lot of that Richie, especially the TEAs and the Skinhead 31. Like you I'd like lots of new tanker liveries, especially Mobil for the TTAs as they ran through my territory. I'd also appreciate some more Class 55 examples as the Scottish regiments and the FP blue/white cab racehorses are puzzlingly missing from the imminent first batch; I would consider 55003 the best choice as, apart from being the first with white cabs, it's got the shortest nameplate which is easily covered if you want to change it! 

• RMweb Premium

Here's another--what about a Princess Royal? Strangely ignored in N so far. Must be some shared parts with the Duchess. Several liveries, fairly high profile. I'm up for a green one and a maroon one.

Archived