00 Gauge Modern Image DMU/EMU Kits

Bratchell (link in phixer64's post above) produce kits for classes 317 - 321 and 455/456. I have been building a 455 and a 319 from them in the last year or so.

I don't know of any kits for classes 313 - 5, and 507/508 being available in OO.

Classes 150, 158, 159, 166,170 and 220/221 have been available from Bachmann for some years, although the 158 is currently being retooled.

A very good class 153 model is available from Hornby. The class 156, also from Hornby, is a rehash of the older Lima model and is not up to modern standards. Likewise, Hornby's class 155 was a rehash of the older Dapol model and is probably not available new any more.

Hornby's class 142 is also an older model that could do with complete retooling, whereas the Realtrack Models class 144 is bang up to date for features and running qualities, with a class 143 to follow in the future.

Hornby's class 465 is also not bad looking but not a good runner at all. It has been produced in recent times as a limited edition for a retailer.

I don't know of any kits for classes 222 or 458.

Edited by SRman

I don't know of any kits for classes 313 - 5, and 507/508 being available in OO.

MTK did them, and either the 507 or 508 was available from NNK after they took over the range. Whether it (or any of the other NNK kits) will ever appear agian is a good question. After several years the new owners have only reissued a few bits.

I'm sure a modern specification class 313 kit was anounced on the forum a few years back, but I've not herd anything for ages.

MTK did them, and either the 507 or 508 was available from NNK after they took over the range. Whether it (or any of the other NNK kits) will ever appear agian is a good question. After several years the new owners have only reissued a few bits.

I'm sure a modern specification class 313 kit was anounced on the forum a few years back, but I've not herd anything for ages.

Yes I had a 313 from MTK many years ago but eventually sold it before building it. I had two Tenshodo spud motors to power it. I have still got a completed 2-car MTK Class 309 which I am very pleased with although I had to rebuild the cast front ends and scrap the underarm castings - if you could call them that - and build from plastic. Its never actually run on a layout since I subsequently changed up to O gauge. It also needs a bit of TLC as some of the glazing glue has failed and it needs replacement. I really need another 10 cars to go with it but as it took me two years to make I am not likely to get round to it.

i would rather develop an O gauge set from Easybuild components and could then pretend the Braintree branch - on which my Black Notley layout is based - was actually electrified in 1963 with the rest of the Chelmsford to Colchester section. A two car set which coupled up to an 8 or 10 car unit from Clacton at Witham is actually quite beleivable. However I am some way off that scenario yet and need to get the 1958 models competed first. 

Paul R

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to see some more EMUs that are from outside the southern region(s). Main ones I'd like to see are the 308 and 310 and similar. I honestly don't see why Bachmann and other makers can't alter things with the 108 and other DMUs to make them EMUs. After all it's the same sort of body but with extra cables around the ends and a pantograph fitted. It's not like they have to do a whole new build. 

• Funny 2

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, nhdesigns said:

I honestly don't see why Bachmann and other makers can't alter things with the 108 and other DMUs to make them EMUs. After all it's the same sort of body but with extra cables around the ends and a pantograph fitted. It's not like they have to do a whole new build.

That statement is very naive and any response would take a lot of work to be informative. In lieu of that I would suggest you head off and research it for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, nhdesigns said:

I would like to see some more EMUs that are from outside the southern region(s). Main ones I'd like to see are the 308 and 310 and similar. I honestly don't see why Bachmann and other makers can't alter things with the 108 and other DMUs to make them EMUs. After all it's the same sort of body but with extra cables around the ends and a pantograph fitted. It's not like they have to do a whole new build. 

If you can't see why, I suggest you spend an hour with the Hattons Genesis generic coaches thread. 

Modernisation Plan EMUs were - necessarily - high density units, were built on the long 64' underframe, and as high density units had a door at each seating bay. They were led by BR Eastleigh and tended to reflect Southern Region thinking . Many had the Eastleigh 3 facet flat front end. Though the 308s had wedge fronts, and the 310 has a curved front end derived I think from the Design Panel front ends used on Transpennine DMUs and 303s for Glasgow.... Oh , and 310 /312 are Mk2 derivative EMUs, with no separate chassis

Meanwhile the 108 and other Bachmann DMUs represent low density units, on a 57' short-frame underframe,  with a Derby front end, (mostly) and a small number of doors on each side. They have BS gangways, not Pullman gangways, vacuum brakes not air - and were led by BR Derby  with quite a bit of ex LMS practice in them... Did I mention that the side profile reflected Derby practice, not Mk1s or EMUs??

So apart from the fact that they are different in virtually every respect , there is a vague similarity....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Perhaps we could have a competition to find any similarities between classes 108 and 308? They've both got 8 wheels per vehicle...

Good idea.

Um I think thats about it so you win! ;)

No need to make the guy feel like a complete tool though.

There's a couple of people in Facebook groups that are attempting a Meridian but so far, not seen anything.

The only thing I have seen (may have been on here) is someone relivering a Voyager to East Mids livery to look like a Meridian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

There's a couple of people in Facebook groups that are attempting a Meridian but so far, not seen anything.

The only thing I have seen (may have been on here) is someone relivering a Voyager to East Mids livery to look like a Meridian.

It's striking though, when you start to look in detail, that everything is actually different - even more than I had assumed. EG 3 different types of bogies, 3 different types of buffer, etc etc

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

As he, she, it, they, them, non binary individual (PC enough ;)) has 'designs' as part of his username I would hope he would have a good enough eye to notice the slight differences between the 3 classes, because if he, she, it, they, them, non binary individual cant see that then it doesnt bode well for what they are designing does it!

Edited by royaloak

The expression "modern image" was coined by the late Cyril Freezer, editor of the Railway Modeller in June 1962 if my memory serves me correctly.  the Modeller for the month had one of the new AC electric locos on the front and pictures of the new modern station vuildings at Macclesfield and a junction station, again the name escapes me.

The headline in a circle on the front cover read "Modelling the Modern Image". The term modern image has stuck ever since for anything diesel or electric. I may still have a copy of that issue lying around somewhere. So the term "modern image" dates back almost 60 years!

• Like 3

Either way I personally would still like to see some more emphasis on these EMUs from the major manufacturers like Bachmann and Hornby along with some of the others makes. They've all done some good work on modelling the southern region EMUs and even better with electric locomotives like the class 87 and class 90. Though this is partially because I'm not really one for scratch building or kit making and bashing. Even though I'd be willing to build one from a kit, if there are any available right now.