Construction Sites

I'm guessing by your username that you model the post-privatisation era?

I haven't tried to model our building industry, but in they're usual state of inaction with a few Transit pickups and vans, a skip and a variety of materials and pallets they would look more believable than the usual cheque book modellers crowd of yellow plastic machines.

Best of luck with it,  be sure to post up the results

I'm guessing by your username that you model the post-privatisation era?

I haven't tried to model our building industry, but in they're usual state of inaction with a few Transit pickups and vans, a skip and a variety of materials and pallets they would look more believable than the usual cheque book modellers crowd of yellow plastic machines.

Best of luck with it,  be sure to post up the results

Yes I model post-privatisation, just waiting on a Hattons order and then I can begin. I will defiantly post some pictures up when I am done. I currently have a white transit, skips, and some aggregate bags. Now waiting for civil engineers and some other bits and pieces 

Agree there , on a small housing development  1-4 homes say you would only see a JCB or mini digger  when the founds and drains going in.

Rest of the time a van or two and a small Belle mixer !

Do you know where a 1/76 cement mixer (similar to a Belle) may be sourced?

• RMweb Premium

1:87 mixers are part of Preiser 10542 http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR10542&r=1 and 17177 http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR17177&r=1 packs. 

Preiser 10251 may also be of interest.  

Also, if you ignore modern regulations about disposal of rubbish, a cameo based on http://www.elmetimages.co.uk/photo_10946895.html might be appropriate. (RML's own shop is currently out of action). 

Sorry, no pictures, that layout is currently packed away and all pictures are on a stick in storage too. The perils of moving house... 

• RMweb Gold

Preiser also do a neat scaffolding set too 17180:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR17180

That's not a typical scaffolding for this country although you do occasionally see system scaffolds.

This is more your typical scaffold in the UK. Taken this morning. Not all scaffolding has Monarflex sheeting but it is common when working near public roads and other buildings. Some times netting is used instead.

Ian

post-1557-0-34233800-1391587846_thumb.jpg

thwaites-1-tonne-hi-tip-dumper-rental_la

Does anyone know where a model of something like this could be sourced? Corgi make a 1:50 model but I need a 1:76/87.

I believe S-Kits do a 1/76 scale model of a much older style. He may also do a mixer and compressor. A search on here should give contact details.

A slight deviation; a neighbour has recently had some major roof work done. As they were going to be there for some time, the builders repositioned the satellite dish to one of the corner posts from the house wall...

• RMweb Premium

If you want netting, GreenScene's chainlink fencing - http://www.green-scene.co.uk/Accessories.html - can look OK after repainting it (using a spray). 

Dumpers, Wiking's 1:87 range used to have something similar in red to Matthew's picture but I can't find it in the current list. They also used to have http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=WK094605&r=1 in 1:87 scale too, I don't know if it's been rested or dropped. 

If you search on Gaugemaster's web-site, "excavator" produces two bigger models but they are probably too big for most small sites. 

You've forgotten the most important bit !  The tea Hut.

Seriously, the mess hut / changing room / dump is vital for any proper "site".  Where the men can get changed , drink tea and wait whilst it rains.  In the "old days" it would be a sectional hut with gabled roof or for a very small site a "hut on 2-wheels".

In addition there would be a "stores" building for overnight storage of tools and steal-able items.  Nowadays these would be metal and there would be a separate one for flammable materials (paints, glues, etc......).

For anything other than the smallest there would be an "office", either one end of the general purpose "hut" or more likely a separate item, however small, for the foreman and, if there or visiting, the engineer - especially important for the plans and phone (and usually an overhead telephone line).  Often a small temporary transformer was in place, likewise a fuel bowser or tank.   The area around the huts would be hardcored.

OF COURSE, there "should" be some toilet facilities (and nowadays showers !)

Nowadays a lot of these buildings will be "portakabin" types or proper "sectional buildings".

"Temporary Facilities" are a major feature and included as a separate item in standard forms of contract and methods of measurement.

Thanks Guys

just waiting on a Hattons order and then I can begin. I will defiantly post some pictures up when I am done

Mathew EWS , generated some interest here, what are we building ? and waht stage is it at ? as obviously this affects the kit  a lot

• RMweb Gold

Mathew EWS , generated some interest here, what are we building ? and waht stage is it at ? as obviously this affects the kit a lot

Yes very much so. Putting up a new building on a green field site can be very different to refurbishing a building in the middle of a town or even new build in congested location.

If it's new build then if modelling the early stages of construction then you may well not see scaffolding but plenty of heavy plant.

Also the hoarding can be quite different depending on local authority and or the clients requirements particularly the paint colour of the hoarding.

Most sites tend to have a timber hoarding around them rather than a chain link fence. For some small short programme projects you might get away with mountable Heras fence panels.

If bordering a pavement or road then you may well need hoarding lights.

Ian

There was a layout along time ago in Model Rail which had an excavator pulling down some houses which was very realistic, as it was just the excvator, transit van and 1 tipper truck. It really depends on what your construction site is making as to what vehicles and plant you need on site as it varies so much. Dont go too far down the transit van route as well, alot of sub contractors use 4*4 pickups or smaller vans dependant on trade, I knew one bricklayer who came to work everyday in his robin reliant.

One thing for definite these days though is that you need to have a porta loo on site no matter what as even refurbishments require them now.

Ive seen meccano used for scaffolding but it does look too heavy, effective though. System scaffolds are getting more common in the UK now with the scaffold designing requirements.

Looking forward to developments on this thread :)

• RMweb Premium

If modelling the groundworks phase you could include an archaeologist carrying out a watching brief by watching the excavator. Basic kit = hard hat, hi-vis top, clipboard and camera, with a rucksack and tool box or camera case nearby along with a 2m ranging pole. 

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys

back from school now.

Thanks for the links, I have purchased the Bachmann building site detail pack which provides the toilet and I also have a Bachmann site office as well. In terms of stage the building is semi built - just needing the roof so scaffolding is present. I have one transit at the moment along with some other road vehicles which can be with it as well. It is a new build in a sub urban setting. 

I will be happy to respond to any more of your questions

Hattons order is due tomorrow so real construction on the model construction can begin! :yes:

Preiser also do a neat scaffolding set too 17180:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR17180

I have also seen pasta used as scaffolding, as an alternative to the more expensive plastruct type products

I'm not sure how the modeller glued the pasta,

but you'd need to ensure it doesn't get too wet, before sealing it

I'm guessing, but some quick drying aerosol matt varnish might seal and protect it

I must say, I recall it looking quite fine, and very effective

Certainly a cheap method!

BTW. Painting, I would use some Games Workshop metallic paints

Let us know how you get on

Marc

Archived