Construction Sites

I have seen an article in one of the Hornby modelling magazines that shows how you can make a building site. It more or less showed what can be done with some plastic housing kits. One thing that can help with building sites is the use Plastruct columns, girders and I beams. That's if you intend to have the foundations shown in place. It's what I'm putting on my layout. The best thing of all you can get is special texture paint from Tanmya or whatever it's called. It's called soil effect and you brush it on and with a cocktail stick make tracks and footprints where vehicles and workers have been. It's great stuff to get.

you could look on google images for building sites, also if you are modelling a house at the semi built stage just prior to the roof stage you will need to model the roof trusses either in place or stacked on site, roof trusses are designed for each roof as different roofing materials weigh different amounts. You would also have work out if there was to be any attic rooms or not and the position of water tanks within the attic space. Most building sites at this stage only have a telescopic loader and a cement mixer on by this stage plus contracters vans, plasterer, joiner, electricians etc.

• RMweb Premium

The Oxford one would be too big and would normally be used for delivering plant such as excavators, perhaps you could create a scene with a digger being collected? A builders truck would be smaller, probably a 7.5 tonne max. Oxford are bringing out a Ford Cargo that could be fitted with a crane and scratchbuilt body or for something a bit more modern Best Choose have a Mitsubishi light truck that only requires a few modifications and a suitable crane.

I don't think that's always the case,  searching images for 'builders merchant lorry' https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=builders+merchant+lorry&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NjGvU7aLDYXJPNT4gPgP&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1056&bih=652 brings up plenty of 20T plus dropside lorries with hiab's.

We had great fun at work a couple of years back when we ordered a load of fencing materials,  they brought a great big 38T truck which wouldn't fit through the gate so we HIABed a pallet at a time onto our Suzuki Carry pickup.  The wooden fencing panels were fine but the concrete posts nearly snapped the poor thing despite reassurances from the crane operator that 'it's not that heavy'.

• RMweb Premium

Oxford Diecast are doing one in the near future. Here's the link for Hattons. Other retailers are available obviously!

http://www.ehattons.com/71587/Oxford_Diecast_76SCL001_Scania_Crane_Lorry_D_R_Macleod_/StockDetail.aspx

HTH

The Oxford Diecast one is not one that would be used for delivering materials. It is of the type for delivering and collecting plant, hence the flatbed body and the beavertail with ramps. If anyone used this type of lorry for delivering building materials they would probably fall foul of elfin safe tea regulations. Most small builders would use either a Transit van or truck or something only slightly larger. Builders supply merchants such as Travis Perkins would use larger vehicles for multi-drop deliveries but these would usually be about the 20 tons range. Most such vehicles would be drop-side with or without a crane. 

• RMweb Premium

The model truck I was talking about is on eBay item # 201114831375. All that is required is to remove the canopy, it has a tail lift instead of a crane. Best Choose also make a larger truck with a tipper and grab bucket or a cement mixer, these have a Hino cab but the cab can be easily replaced.

Builders merchants lorrys are usually 6 wheelers as they make multi-drops and  bricks , blocks,  bagged cement  etc is heavy . They are a very common sight on deliveries to all sizes of project. The easiest way would be to add a Hiab to a off the shelf dropside or flat lorry .

I have worked in timber yards and concrete yards for around 20 years, in the timber yards we used 16 or 22 ton wagons, usually flatbed with hiab crane fitted. For roof trusses we usually used a 40 foot stepframe artic, usually with a cranefitted tracter unit. We did use the rigid trucks for roof trusses ocasionally however they are a difficult load to handle and were much easier on the lower bed of the artic.We did have a 7.5 ton truck but it wasn't used for trusses.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid that your scaffolding would be condemned and a stop work notice issued if anyone from the HSE came near your site! Even if the putlog type were allowed (where the ledgers are built into the brickwork and there are no inside standards) there should be vertical outside standards at roughly 2m centres, with several diagonal braces both along each face and some internal ones. Handrails are also missing, at least where a lift is boarded out, especially important at the corner where the boards stop and around the top lift while the rof is being worked on. Finally, on a modern building site ladders are almost extinct, with stair towers used instead. If they are used they are not just propped up against the outside - they have to be properly tied and a safe platform provided - that ladder rising two storeys and hooked over a standard would give the inspector a heart attack, and I know some Project Managers who would take an axe to it to prevent it being used.

While such arrangements where common fifty or a hundred years ago, they should not occur on a modern site, thanks to the Elf'n Safety brigade.

Dont forget this is a model and we all started at the basics. Scafolding can be a minefield to model as there are so many rules and regs, so many modellers either avoid it or just make it basic as to give the idea. If you could get a kit for modelling proper type scaffolding with easy to use instructions it would be great. Your building site is a great start just keep at it and dont let anyone put you off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Everyone

Just thought I'd take a minute to share my plans for the construction site with the arrival of the new layout. The new base boards have been laid and track laying will commence shortly. The construction site will remain on the new layout but will be increased in size. It will still feature the Bachmann building as a centre piece, (scaffolding commenters, plans are afoot to improve and add to the scaffolding system on the house). The site office, vehicles, scenic items and figures will all remain the same.

Thanks

Matthew

Hello Matthew

Just found this thread ... no time yet to read it all

Yes. I'm having a building site on my 2004/05 era layout (HO) - 8 lane motorway bridge under construction plus office block and maybe two apartment blocks.

Will read this thread properly later and then post photos as/when

Archived