Construction Sites

Hi,

Speaking from experience of many a cold, long day spent on site.

Get hold of a few white Transit/ Renault Master/ Merc Sprinter vans. Knock them about a bit & heavy weather them.

A bit of sign writing would be appropriate, 'Ted the Spread' plasterer, 'Bright Spark' 'leccy, 'Firm Foundations' groundworks etc

Dart Castings / Monty's Models do a number of 'relaxed' pose general workmen.

The poses offered are perfect for site figures, mugs of tea, leaning on brooms, leaning on walls, sitting on crates, having a fag etc would do the job.

Lots of abandoned ladders, trestles, hand tools, scaffolding laying about the site.

Possibly a couple of animated builders having a site meeting with an over zealous Building Control / Planning Dept official.

The list goes on.

Cheers

Rob

Im doing a building site on mine personally

im doing a steel frame construction building cant post pictures due to too big a file

10 commandments do a range of building site items as well as Langley models

Bachmann do some items for construction sites too

really depends what exact items you are after  

• 4 weeks later...

One point.  I now have a "building site" opposite me - the school has demolished an old "temporary" block and is rebuilding it properly.

Something noticeable is that in the present climate (lack of new builds) there is a lot of plant (cheap hire rates) with relatively few workers (expensive).  The small site has a tower crane (rare-ish nowadays as gaff-rigged cranes are more popular) because the building will be steel framed with panel construction, a wheeled excavator/backhoe and a VAST dumper - but the workers are few.

The builder really is looking to do most things with equipment, not men, and whilst it is a two storey build he really is looking to keep it as near "clip-together" as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Here is the latest construction site update. I have attached a picture of it how it currently is. As I'm sure many of you know I have started a new layout so the pictures posted earlier in the thread no longer reflect the site. I still need to source some suitable fencing and purchase a couple of other vehicles along with some other junk. Any comments, feedback, suggestions etc etc please comment below.

Thanks

Matthew

post-21576-0-61692900-1426955288.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ground level around the building would be soil and would be very uneven with piles of spoil dug out from the foundations along with general waste material the last thing to be tidied is the ground around the building.

There should be horizontal scaffolding forming a handrail around the area being worked on.

Looking very good

Ground level around the building would be soil and would be very uneven with piles of spoil dug out from the foundations along with general waste material the last thing to be tidied is the ground around the building.

There should be horizontal scaffolding forming a handrail around the area being worked on.

Looking very good

While this may be the case on some sites, still, current Health and Safety regulations, and some vigilant HSE inspectors, mean that on a properly run site the area of the building will have been graded so that it is at least mainly flat.  What are missing are suitable soleplates under the standards, to prevent them punching into the ground.

I take it you mean a handrail around the top level of scaffold, at roof level, which has been boarded out, and on which the man is standing.  At least he seems to have some, if not all, the necessary PPE to be allowed on site.

Another addition would be some diagonal bracing, especially on the outside faces, to prevent the whole thing moving in interesting, and dangerous, ways.

Finally, please move the ladder! Even if it is acceptable to only have a ladder access to a working scaffold, having it leaning against the standard is an absolute no-no.  Just imagine how you would actually get on or off that ladder, even if it wasn't rotating madly around the pole.

The house should be at 90 degrees to either road or at 45 degrees to both roads other than that it should make a nice little cameo.

Pete

Is this a law? :scratchhead:   It may be uneconomic use of the land, but to each his own.  It may be that it has to be on that alignment for other reasons - sight lines on St Paul's cathedral - route of HS2 - mine workings - high voltage cables in the ground or overhead - etc.

Go around the modern estates and you won't find a modern type  house that is not arranged out as I have suggested.

And when St Paul's cathedral was built planning permission and ergonomic design practices had not even been invented.

The present Cathedral, the masterpiece of Britain's most famous architect Sir Christopher Wren, is at least the fourth to have stood on the site. It was built between 1675 and 1710, after its predecessor was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, and services began in 1697. 

Go around the modern estates and you won't find a modern type  house that is not arranged out as I have suggested.

And when St Paul's cathedral was built planning permission and ergonomic design practices had not even been invented.

The present Cathedral, the masterpiece of Britain's most famous architect Sir Christopher Wren, is at least the fourth to have stood on the site. It was built between 1675 and 1710, after its predecessor was destroyed in the Great Fire of London, and services began in 1697.

I don't want to labour the point, but the model is of a single house, not an estate, so the orientation is down to the architect or owner.

As regards my reference to St Paul's I was trying to point out that sometimes other factors impinge upon building design. In London many buildings have to be designed so that existing sight lines to the famous dome are maintained. This can restrict the height or require facades to be cut off to meet the criteria.

Furthermore we don't know its compass orientation. For all we can tell it faces due South for the sun, or East for religious purposes, and perhaps Feng Shui has decided its position.

Being in the construction industry it is difficult to let this topic go, so apologies to all who are bored.

I took this photo of a typical suburban house with some neat scaffolding around it, which may help in finishing off the detail on the model.

post-189-0-99914900-1433424751_thumb.jpg

Being in the construction industry it is difficult to let this topic go, so apologies to all who are bored.

I took this photo of a typical suburban house with some neat scaffolding around it, which may help in finishing off the detail on the model.

attachicon.gifhousing scaffold.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me, or is there double-height kick-boarding at the end of the scaffolding nearest the neighbour's front garden? I haven't seen the use of a platform like that for the top of the ladder before; a neighbour's house was scaffolded for access to the roof a few weeks ago, and there the ladder went up within the footprint of the scaffolding itself. This may have been because of constraints of space, however.

Scaffolding does seem to be used a lot more these days, and a lot more professionally installed. A colleague used to work as a roofer with his father-in-law, about 30 years ago, and regales us with horror stories- one of the worst being where the scaffolding wasn't tied in to the building, so that, when the wind picked up, you had to time your leap on to the roof as the thing swayed about...

Do my eyes deceive me, or is there double-height kick-boarding at the end of the scaffolding nearest the neighbour's front garden? I haven't seen the use of a platform like that for the top of the ladder before; a neighbour's house was scaffolded for access to the roof a few weeks ago, and there the ladder went up within the footprint of the scaffolding itself. This may have been because of constraints of space, however.

Scaffolding does seem to be used a lot more these days, and a lot more professionally installed. A colleague used to work as a roofer with his father-in-law, about 30 years ago, and regales us with horror stories- one of the worst being where the scaffolding wasn't tied in to the building, so that, when the wind picked up, you had to time your leap on to the roof as the thing swayed about...

It certainly is a pretty professional job, and the double height toeboards at the end are a nice touch.  The ladder tower might be serving as a buttress as well, as I cannot make out any ties to the building itself, but that arrangement is preferred by H&S men, and is a lot easier for anyone carrying a load up the ladder, not that they should be doing that! 

Hi,

Speaking from experience of many a cold, long day spent on site.

Possibly a couple of animated builders having a site meeting with an over zealous Building Control / Planning Dept official.

The list goes on.

Cheers

Rob

As a happily retired Building Control officer I never saw an over zealous inspector just trying our best to help and watching the £ signs rolling when someone was advised to do a job correctly and it was usually the builder/subby trying to hide something !

Good luck with your project :)

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

Finally found some time to work on the scaffolding system. Those who have followed the topic will know I've used the Bachmann house under construction as a frame. Today I have added handrails, diagonal supports, and an access platform onto the original scaffold frame. All this is made from painted spaghetti and some balsa wood.

Access tower: (The red girders are giving some extra support while everything dries)

post-21576-0-32525400-1467397964.jpg

Handrails and diagonal supports

post-21576-0-31955200-1467397966.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their help,  let me know what you think.

Matthew

housing scaffold.jpg

Without nitpicking about modelling scaffolding,and ive been a scaffolder for over twenty years in both building site/town work & industrial work.

That access on that photo is awfull.

An external ladder shouldnt be more than two lifts.

The ladder should be a 75 degrees or 1 in 4 to the job.

Theres no swing gate at the top of the ladder,even a single rail is banned now,and the ladder should be tied twice.

The job on the photo appears to be built without the transoms on load bearing fittings,only the ledgers have them,which in the real world especially in industrial work the scaffolding inspector would not tag it.

Im being picky as far as modelling goes on a building site with scaffolding on it though!

As its just a hobby & has to be enjoyable!

Cheers

Hi Matthew . The site looks really good . I wonder if you have considered using wooden fast food drink stirrers for the scaffold deck ? Might be a bit thinner than the balsa wood ? Keep up the great work , I've really enjoyed reading this . Kev

leaving aside the implications of working so close to the track...

Where are the ground works? The ground worker would lay the foundations, external drains and then leave, returning to extend the drains, make final connections, landscape and make good. Ends of drain runs etc would be marked, usually by some combination of road pins, timber pegs and that red-and-white warning tape. A small 360 excavator has no useful function during construction of the shell and wouldn't be there, but there WOULD be a tele handler.

There needs to be a temporary water supply, probably a standpipe with a hose.

Last couple of times I have worked on industrial brick buildings, the mortar came in small skips from a local supplier and wasn't mixed on site at all.

• RMweb Premium

leaving aside the implications of working so close to the track...

Where are the ground works? The ground worker would lay the foundations, external drains and then leave, returning to extend the drains, make final connections, landscape and make good. Ends of drain runs etc would be marked, usually by some combination of road pins, timber pegs and that red-and-white warning tape. A small 360 excavator has no useful function during construction of the shell and wouldn't be there, but there WOULD be a tele handler.

There needs to be a temporary water supply, probably a standpipe with a hose.

Last couple of times I have worked on industrial brick buildings, the mortar came in small skips from a local supplier and wasn't mixed on site at all.

Interestingly the machines in the Atlas 'World of Stobart' come with different attachments, namely a backhoe, a clamshell and a wide shallow attachment that is used for leveling. There are other items in the pipeline but their exact nature is not known yet but the latest model, a roadsweeper can be used on or near a building site to clean any detrius from the site.

They very well might do, but once the initial ground works and floor slab are in, the next operations are load out, scaffolding, brickwork, first fix and second fix, roofing; and that means the groundwork machine goes, and a tele handier comes in.

Actually there is a surprising amount of plant on some sites at present, hire is very cheap and that affects the cost/production balance. I saw a house building site near me a while ago with about 6 machines on it, for not more than 10 houses. The new co-op convenience store has a 20 tonne excavator where a 10 or 12 tonnes would be more than sufficient

They very well might do, but once the initial ground works and floor slab are in, the next operations are load out, scaffolding, brickwork, first fix and second fix, roofing; and that means the groundwork machine goes, and a tele handier comes in.

Actually there is a surprising amount of plant on some sites at present, hire is very cheap and that affects the cost/production balance.

The site at the back of our house used their excavator from site clearance to finishing the roof; once ground-works were finished, they swapped the bucket for a set of forks. The site was so constricted, a Telehandler wouldn't have had room to turn, but a tracked machine can turn in its own length. I did notice the machine was their own, and not hired, so I suppose it made sense for them to leave it on site if they didn't have any other work for it. They also mixed their own mortar on site, something I hadn't seen for a while.

Archived