New layout,with no name (here we go again)

If us brits tried to follow all American style point work we would end up with some nice large turnout with short sidings,i for one don't have the space for #10-12 frogs,we have to compromise and utilize the limited space we have.

I've always wonder if when American modelers,model British railways, do they follow British style track work or stick to what they know best???

Ray

I was hoping my post would come across as usefully informative for future layout builds, rather than critical. That was the intention, based on it being something I noticed very quickly.

Having lived in both countries for 30 years plus, I have found my now fellow American Modelers to be remarkably blind when modeling any sort of track. Far more so that the typical  British modeller. Over here it's "rail plus ties is all you need, because it's only track". and that from the folks who review the latest RTR diesel with microscopic vision and ruthless criticism. "Hand-laid" track layers here commonly use flexing point rails, although those European Rwy methods have only appeared in the US significantly since about the late '90's. Just about everything already laid in the 20th century used hinged points. 

Andy

Andy

No problem no offence taken :no: ,i always bow to superior knowledge.

I new when i started this thread there would be a few "shots over the bow" where most are constructive and welcome,some no doubt will be a "bit over the mark" or of topic :nono: ,which i have come to expect and will have to live with,this in my case is where rule1 :declare: applies.

This same conversation plus others crop up while talking to some RM web friends at Glasgow over the weekend,this maybe why people are drifting away to other forums or not bothering at all.

At the end of the day it's a hobby and suppose to be fun :senile: ,we try our best to get it as near to life as we can :locomotive: ,with a bit of modellers license thrown in :declare: we all live to learn.

Ray

I've always wonder if when American modelers,model British railways, do they follow British style track work or stick to what they know best???

Ray

Well, in the latest MR Great layouts book there is a 'British' layout - with right hand running.

A bit of both then.

Andy

No problem no offence taken :no: ,i always bow to superior knowledge.

I new when i started this thread there would be a few "shots over the bow" where most are constructive and welcome,some no doubt will be a "bit over the mark" or of topic :nono: ,which i have come to expect and will have to live with,this in my case is where rule1 :declare: applies.

This same conversation plus others crop up while talking to some RM web friends at Glasgow over the weekend,this maybe why people are drifting away to other forums or not bothering at all.

At the end of the day it's a hobby and suppose to be fun :senile: ,we try our best to get it as near to life as we can :locomotive: ,with a bit of modellers license thrown in :declare: we all live to learn.

Ray

Having been on the receiving end of a few ''shots over the bow'' myself on another forum recently, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. To some of the armchair experts, unless every inch of a layout replicates the prototype, it somehow lacks credibility and is unworthy.

Mal

Got board 2 done with card and ballasted the track,in between get Helm ready for Preston.

post-13979-0-47160100-1393579460_thumb.jpg

As you can see there's a gp15 which i used for testing,this maybe one of the loco's i plan using

post-13979-0-23807800-1393579640_thumb.jpg

nothing is set in stone yet, only to say it's 1990+ time frame.

Well got to go now and load the car and head down the road,usually a good show Preston and they take you to a pub on the Saturday night :declare:

Ray

Had a few spare nights this week,once i put Helm to bed, ballasted the track and painted the card,also started on the grass verges.Not going to finish roads yet,want to make a start on the building shells first to make sure everything fits how i want them to.

post-13979-0-83783300-1394139874_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-61504800-1394139896_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-52283600-1394139914_thumb.jpg

Also finshed the point rodding (KISS),using R/C flexi-snakes,cranks and BQ skewers,just need the frog juicers to finish them off.

post-13979-0-03858200-1394140234_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-54066000-1394140254_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-77460500-1394140274_thumb.jpg

Ray

Nothing done on the layout,been busy this week moving/adding shelf brackets, so as to lift 59th and Rust heigher up the wall, the track height is now just below eye level,this means the new layout can go underneath,now SWMBO can't say i'm use all the space for bl##dy model railroads!!!

post-13979-0-25835900-1394810547_thumb.jpg

i might be able to get some modeling done in a couple of weeks, once every thing is back on the shelfs,i bet your modeling table is a lot clearer than mine.

Got to sit down and work out the style of buildings i'm going to build,then i can make a shopping list for when i'm helping Jon Grant at Alley pally,i may see some of you there??.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

You want to see my modelling table if you think yours is bad!!

maybe we could start a thread 'how much is on your table' :sungum:

See you at Ally Pally. Will work on suitable drinking holes afterwards if you can come out Apres Exhibition!!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think i'll be updating this much for the fear of upsetting the mod's,maybe i've a twisted sense of humour that some people can't or don't understand,i don't go out with the intention to upset people or mean them any harm,thats just the way it is!!!.

It's good to see the mod's doing there job and i know they can't read every single post,put there has been a few post they should have nipped in the bud, which they missed.

Never mind,all this is a shame especially after listening to some of the talks at Alley pally  promoting how good RMWeb was, i may pop in now and then with updates or when i need help on a subject,we'll see how things go!!!!

Bye for now :stinker:

Ray

the joker in the pack :jester:  :jester:

Don't think i'll be updating this much for the fear of upsetting the mod's,maybe i've a twisted sense of humour that some people can't or don't understand,i don't go out with the intention to upset people or mean them any harm,thats just the way it is!!!.

It's good to see the mod's doing there job and i know they can't read every single post,put there has been a few post they should have nipped in the bud, which they missed.

Hi Ray

I'm not sure why you feel that updating this will upset the mods - as long as what you (and others) post is cordial and constructive you should have no worries.  A twisted sense of humour is also no problem in itself, within the limits of the forum rules and guidelines, but it is always the case that the nuances of someone's particular humour do not always come across online the way they are meant to, as I'm sure you realise.  I am assuming your attempted topic on 'character assassination' etc was part of this, but it was only ever going to end badly and we don't need the extra work monitoring it.

As you say we can't read every single post, which is why we recommend use of the report button if anyone sees something they feel is inappropriate.

Cheers

I'm a Mod on this section only, Ray. The problem is that I want to earn a living too and I've been busy the last week or two - even when I'm not I miss things. As Mod 6 suggests hit the "Report" button, my experience in doing this is that someone takes a look really quickly.

I wish it was a "job" here 'cos I'd stay around a lot longer....

All the best, Pete.

• 3 months later...

Finally got some impetus back to do some modeling and the weather outside is so good for inside modeling,so i started building the large factory which is going to cover the fiddle yard,here's were i,ve got to.

post-13979-0-33315500-1405848921_thumb.jpg

post-13979-0-36060300-1405848934_thumb.jpg

Start of timber frame which will support the roof

post-13979-0-42962400-1405849007_thumb.jpg

basic card front built,rear

post-13979-0-34419600-1405849022_thumb.jpg

front

Need to add ply back next and back braces which will support the lights,made my cutting list for the timber merchants,hopfully Monday afternoon.

Ray

I've joined your Fan Club Ray.

Like your approach to a large factory I've built a few myself but you can always learn something new.

I won't post anything here you are way ahead of me but I will post my attempt at Brooklyn USA thread.

Thanks.

Neville.

• 4 months later...

Well after a 6 month lay-off,watching endless videos for ideas and with no serious modeling done.

post-13979-0-37335300-1419334622_thumb.jpg

yesterday i got a bit of mojo back and decided to start on the brewrey framework.

post-13979-0-28664800-1419334639_thumb.jpg

with a slight change to the plan,i've decided that the building will extend over the running track(always like the look of locos coming under/between buildings) the 60' box cars is on the running track,50' at 1 of the 2 unloading areas.

post-13979-0-91729300-1419334652_thumb.jpg

the covered hoppers is in the unloading area for grain,paint pots are where the silos will be ,which make (might scrathbuild) i haven't decided on yet,may have some on the roof too.

post-13979-0-20271500-1419334668_thumb.jpg

at the end of the building will be a loading area,for barrels/crates into road vehicle.

there's still a bit of frame work to build on the other board,i'm off for a couple of weeks over Christmas,if i can keep the mojo going should get that and the other building near to completion,fingers crossed!!!

Ray

Archived