New nature train washing unit at work.

industrial

• RMweb Gold

That works.

Adopting a grumpy stance for a moment, I found the giggling of some of the passengers rather incongruous, given that colleagues would have been out in that weather trying to keep the service running (not on the actual wall in those conditions, but certainly close by).

These are certainly the worst storms to affect the Dawlish Sea Wall since (probably ) December 2005.

A few RMwebber's and I were planning a trip on Saturday down to Plymouth along the sea wall at Dawlish, but looks like we may have to postpone it.  Unless the good people in bright orange work their magic and get it reopened in time.. Oh and the weather calms down a bit!  Here's hoping.

Thanks CK for those images. I too hope your working conditions weather wise improve very soon!

Things are not by the sounds of it looking good in Dawlish tonight though, as the high tide & high winds combination are striking again with a large chunk of the wooden down platform collapsing into the sea (photo courtesy of Eyes of Dawlish facebook page) and reports of a large amount of damage to the sea wall structure itself - 60ft is understood have collapsed into into the sea tonight taking part of Sea Lawn Road with it (behind the railway land side!) - Marine Parade is also currently being evacuated. There's also high tide at Starcross and flooding in Cockwood Harbour to boot.

post-7515-0-31695400-1391558262.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A few RMwebber's and I were planning a trip on Saturday down to Plymouth along the sea wall at Dawlish, but looks like we may have to postpone it.  Unless the good people in bright orange work their magic and get it reopened in time.. Oh and the weather calms down a bit!  Here's hoping.

Saturday's weather is forecast to be even worse. The wave heights are 25% + higher combined with some very strong winds. The only up side is that the tides are neaps.

Saturday's weather is forecast to be even worse. The wave heights are 25% + higher combined with some very strong winds. The only up side is that the tides are neaps.

Very true, but with the forecast winds there is huge potential for further damage, now that the outer defences have been breached. I can see very serious questions being asked before too long about the long term future for this stretch of line, particularly as some 'experts' are saying that we should abandon coastal defences...

Sadly it doesn't look like Dawlish will be reopening anytime soon. Also hoping for better weather, not just for the Network Rail staff who'll having to be dealing with this but for the emergency services across the south west and of course the homeowners who's properties are now standing at risk along the coastline. Pictures are from Eyes of Dawlish facebook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26042990

https://www.facebook.com/EODawlish?fref=ts

post-7515-0-34751900-1391599226.jpg

post-7515-0-06092800-1391599240_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-25590300-1391599246.jpg

post-7515-0-71109300-1391599251.jpg

Archived