_XTA4219_zps1b08b120.jpg

And here's today's progress:

Middle chassis spacers added

_XTA4221_zpsf4518f04.jpg

Chassis chemically blackened....

_XTA4223_zps82e5e7e9.jpg

And etch primered...

_XTA4226_zps4a88903c.jpg

There's some work to be done adjusting the brake gear to fit perfectly, then that can have the same treatment. Notice the gearbox and brass final drive gear have also been blackened. 

I have however it a snag. The chassis is no longer level. I presume it's due to the heat from soldering the spacers in. Not sure what to do now - I think the best solution is probably going to be to clip out the leading horn ways and add Comet hornblocks to the leading axle, then retrofit some kind of rocking beam. 

Already looks a lot better for having black frames! 

_XTA4227_zpsbff65936.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I haven't done much work with the RTR stuff for a good long time, however I have just put a couple of coats on this:

post-21854-0-11631800-1426002071_thumb.jpg

post-21854-0-64839200-1426002608_thumb.jpg

No. 5700 just lost it's top feed. Sadly in the process the 2 small cylindrical things (Which are anyone?) popped off and disappeared! Didn't realise they were separate parts or I'd have removed them beforehand! 

Bit more fine tuning, reinsatement of handrails etc and we have a pannier! 

Well I haven't done much work with the RTR stuff for a good long time, however I have just put a couple of coats on this:

attachicon.gif_XTA6960.jpg

attachicon.gif_XTA6956.jpg

No. 5700 just lost it's top feed. Sadly in the process the 2 small cylindrical things (Which are anyone?) popped off and disappeared! Didn't realise they were separate parts or I'd have removed them beforehand! 

Bit more fine tuning, reinsatement of handrails etc and we have a pannier!

Nice looking removal of the top feed far better than my 2009 abandoned example and the current 2012 - example which got a misshaped on the piping down the sides of the tank.

Oakhill

Sadly in the process the 2 small cylindrical things (Which are anyone?) popped off and disappeared! Didn't realise they were separate parts or I'd have removed them beforehand! 

Tank fillers , Dear Boy. Them's the words ye be looking for (along with the actual parts).

• 1 month later...

...On small detail to note - 5700 didn't have the injector overflow pipe either if you fancy even less pipework clutter!

No, an injector without an overflow pipe would be very messy, if not dangerous for anyone standing alongside when it was operated, whether at ground level or on a platform. From the photo in Pannier Papers No 3, 5700 retained the earlier type of pipe, at least on the right hand side. It passed down through the running plate and is mostly hidden behind the valance and steps. If you look carefully, you can see the trailing end emerging at the bottom rear of the steps. A much neater arrangement than the later modification on most examples where the pipe passes out over the running plate, below the valance and in front of the steps. A quick browse through Pannier Papers No 3, will show that a fair number of 57XX retained the earlier piping into BR days.

Nick

4645 also has the hidden pipe on the right hand side, but external on the other. Note made of that for when I can afford an early emblem 8750, they're currently going for stupid money! 

Doing 8791 today:

post-21854-0-63279700-1429875860_thumb.jpg

This one's got the Buhler motor, runs much better than the others. 

No, an injector without an overflow pipe would be very messy, if not dangerous for anyone standing alongside when it was operated, whether at ground level or on a platform. From the photo in Pannier Papers No 3, 5700 retained the earlier type of pipe, at least on the right hand side. It passed down through the running plate and is mostly hidden behind the valance and steps. If you look carefully, you can see the trailing end emerging at the bottom rear of the steps. A much neater arrangement than the later modification on most examples where the pipe passes out over the running plate, below the valance and in front of the steps. A quick browse through Pannier Papers No 3, will show that a fair number of 57XX retained the earlier piping into BR days.

Nick

Thanks Nick, that's good to know, I wondered what the alternate pipe routing was

Super weathering job Alan, light is great as well in these photos

I'm not happy with the weatehring result on the bunker of 8791, I was trying to streak black down it but all that seems to have happened is it's turned the powders into a paint and left grey patches. It's all very hard to tell when it's wet as everything just looks black! 

I'm very happy with the water streaks though, which were done with the exact same technique - it just worked! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived