Washout at Dawlish

Those sections look a little flimsy compared to the old wall - will there be more wall built up seaward of them?

Don't forget that those sections are strengthened with steel bars/rods inside. Possibly tougher to break than the original wall as that is likely to just be stone cemented together just like a traditional wall. Always open to being corrected though of course.

Those sections look a little flimsy compared to the old wall - will there be more wall built up seaward of them?

The concrete L sections are substantial enough for their position and as 47707 said they will be reinforced with steel. During rough seas it's the base of the wall that takes the most damage so the upper section doesn't need to be as substantial as the lower section.

Cheers,

Jack

The concrete L sections are substantial enough for their position and as 47707 said they will be reinforced with steel. During rough seas it's the base of the wall that takes the most damage so the upper section doesn't need to be as substantial as the lower section.

Cheers,

Jack

At the Teignmouth sea wall, most of the damage done to the sea wall has been to the top. At the start of the sea wall, the damage was to the edging granite stones at the very top of the wall. Hardly any damage to any other areas. Along by Sprey Point the damage there was concentrated on the incline that leads from Sprey Point down towards the beach on the Teignmouth side.

At the Teignmouth sea wall, most of the damage done to the sea wall has been to the top. At the start of the sea wall, the damage was to the edging granite stones at the very top of the wall. Hardly any damage to any other areas. Along by Sprey Point the damage there was concentrated on the incline that leads from Sprey Point down towards the beach on the Teignmouth side.

Coping stones are not especially structural, they are more cosmetic and can easily be damaged without effecting the structural integrity of the wall. When I say damage I'm referring to structurally significant damage which effects the structural integrity of the wall leading to collapse, rather than the cosmetic loss of coping stones.

During storms, vertical sea walls cause a clapotis wave pattern to form, this wave pattern attacks the base of wall causing heavy erosion and eventual collapse.

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Having just found "clapotis wave pattern" on Wikipedia, I know understand how the sea got to look so violent & towering. I understood the idea of reflection & positive interference, this is just the result - but quite frightening nevertheless!

• RMweb Premium

On the webcam today it appears that the L blocks are now complete alon g the seaward side.

post-6824-0-74481500-1394384325.jpg

It looks as if the one nearest the camera is where the remains of the old parapet start to appear.

Jamie

• Like 1

Coping stones are not especially structural, they are more cosmetic and can easily be damaged without effecting the structural integrity of the wall. When I say damage I'm referring to structurally significant damage which effects the structural integrity of the wall leading to collapse, rather than the cosmetic loss of coping stones.

During storms, vertical sea walls cause a clapotis wave pattern to form, this wave pattern attacks the base of wall causing heavy erosion and eventual collapse.

Cheers,

Jack

(Pythonesquqe) obviously the Clapotis!

I rather meant any physical signs of damage and in particular the comparison compared to the wall at Dawlish. I understand wave power etc but the physical damage inflicted on the sea wall has been minimal in comparison with other times. I realise that the wind direction, sea strength etc etc all combine to create various and different conditions in different geographical areas.

Along the main beach the sand has been built up, whereas in past times it has been scoured away.

In the past I have seen the wall past Sprey Point where it has been undercut where the sand has been scoured away and holes exposed in the stonework at the base of the wall.

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't realised just how high those 'L' blocks are until seeing them with people alongside!

Yes, they are quite high.

The main functions of these 'L' sections is to (a) retain the ballast/formation and form part of the new parapet wall. As I understand it, further concrete will be poured immediately outside the 'L' sections and then faced with stone masonry to closely resemble the original wall.

What is securing the L Sections to the Base?

Looking at the NR webcam view I posted above (it updates each time this page is selected or refreshed), you can see some sort of fixings through the base, presumably into the concrete beneath?

Then as the Captain says, further concrete will be poured on the outside.

• RMweb Gold

The main functions of these 'L' sections is to (a) retain the ballast/formation and form part of the new parapet wall. As I understand it, further concrete will be poured immediately outside the 'L' sections and then faced with stone masonry to closely resemble the original wall.

Is the horizontal base intended to form a solid cess, or will there be insufficient clearance for track workers to walk/stand between the track and the new parapet? 

John

• RMweb Gold

Is the horizontal base intended to form a solid cess, or will there be insufficient clearance for track workers to walk/stand between the track and the new parapet? 

John

No, there should still be a down cess, but the top of the 'L' sections is not the whole story. Bit difficult to describe, but it depends on the design of what goes on the outside of the 'L' sections...

CK

how high will the L shaped stone clad wall be from the seaward? Will it be higher than the wall was?

Dawlish town was full of people yesterday afternoon. My colleague commented on the masses and it was obvious that they were 'promenading' around the town and 'lawn' instead of the usual beach and sea wall.

LE

Edited by lightengine

I've been watching this thread with equal interest and amazement. Massive well done to the Captain and his colleagues at NR and all contractors involved, an incredible amount of work done in really challenging circumstances. We know NR come in for a lot of (unjust, in my opinion) criticism, but this just shows that when given the green light, they can organise an engineering solution to a mammoth problem in a safe and timely fashion. Again massive congratulations to all involved.

Just a request for CK if it's at all possible? Is there a way for you to get a picture of the seaward side of the wall with the angle-blocks in place? I'm curious what the structure is like prior to cosmetic facing, and how strong it looks compared to its actual (theoretical or modelled) strength.

Mark

• Like 5