Washout at Dawlish

I am told by several that Dawlish Town  beach will be partly open tomorrow

couldn't get there, but the guy running the ice cream/ hamburger bar on the right on the beach walk

seen here  'The Pirates Chest'

shouted accross that he was hoping to be open tomorrow

post-22449-0-21887000-1396533947.jpg

• Like 3

For those of us without the necessary knowledge, at about what time will the first real movements be passing the webcams? Some of us may be awake to see the evidence.

there was alink a few pages back couldn't make much sense of it myself,,

basically trains (freight?) will run from just after midnight,

but first passenger somewhere around 5am ish,

according to the poster,

sorry cant remember who it was

there was alink a few pages back couldn't make much sense of it myself,,

basically trains (freight?) will run from just after midnight,

but first passenger somewhere around 5am ish,

according to the poster,

sorry cant remember who it was

If I remember rightly it was the 05.51 (ish) ex Paignton

EDIT

Obviously I am wrong judging by the next post.

Edited by lightengine

I posted a similar link to this from Realtime Trains a few pages back:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DWW/2014/04/04/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

If that's confusing sorry, thought it was reasonably self explanatory - so apologies if any of this is "teaching granny....."

You should get a page that looks like Adrian's screen shot - it shows all timetabled moves at Dawlish Warren from midnight tonight for 24 hours. The reason for using Dawlish Warren and not Dawlish or Teignmouth is that Dawlish Warren is a point where all trains receive a passing time in the timetable due to the passing loops, that's not (neccesarily) the case with Dawlish or Teignmouth.

Each line is a booked train.

First column is one of the more opaque and is what kind of entry into the timetable. STP = Short Term Planning, so an additional move over the normal WTT, VAR is a train that is in the WTT but has had it's schedule altered on that day. WTT is Working Timetable (standard timetable) - EDIT - looking at the top of the page you can also toggle on CAN, which will show you any timetable paths that are cancelled. It's possible that some of the STPs replace regular CAN paths.

Plan arr/Act Arr - planned arrival time and actual arrival time, i.e. the timetable arrival time for that location, if it says "Pass" it's due to pass the location but not stop, see PLAN DEP for a pass time.

Origin - self explanatory, where the train starts from

PL - what platform it's scheduled to use (at Dawlish Warren obviously only the stopping services)

ID - Train headcode (for passenger or ECS workings) - ECS ones start with a 5, passenger ones round here will always be a 1 or a 2.

It might also say BUS (not surprisingly, that's a timetabled rail replacement bus) or FRGT (a freight train, or move by a freight FOC, it can include things like charters or stock moves) - FRGT moves listed as WTT aren't guaranteed to reflect reality as that just reflects a freight path - watch on the day to see if any are used. You might also notice this column is blue, so a link. If you click on the headcode then you get a complete schedule for that train. If it's running at the time you click then you can see if it's on time, it will also say what kind of rolling stock that timetable path is booked for...

TOC - Train Operating Company - the ones you'll see listed here are XC (Cross Country) and GW (First Great Western) - FRGT ones list as ZZ

Destination - final destination for the train

Plan Dep - Planned Departure - timetable planned departure (or pass time)

Act Dep - Actual Departure - Until the train actually leaves/passes this will be in lightweight text, and will estimate the pass/dep time, so if the train is running late it will show a later expected time, when the train passes/departs it will show a heavier "Actual" depart/pass time.

Hope that helps! RTT is a great tool if you plan to look at the real thing...

So - First moves (at Dawlish Warren) are:

5Z66 Cross Country empty stock from Exeter St Davids to Laira 00.09 (timed for a class 220/221)

5Z46 FGW empty stock from Newton Abbot to Exeter depot 00.12 (timed for class 150/153/155/156)

First passenger move is:

2T03 FGW Exeter St Davids to Paignton at 05.51

then

1S37 Cross Country Plymouth-Edinburgh at 06.11

Hope that helps...

Edited by Glorious NSE

5Z66 Cross Country empty stock from Exeter St Davids to Laira 00.09 (timed for a class 220/221)

5Z46 FGW empty stock from Newton Abbot to Exeter depot 00.12 (timed for class 150/153/155/156)

So - thinking that further, if both are on time, they should cross each other in the vicinity of Dawlish...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tim

Now they that railway's back in place what happens to the roadway behind the line at the washout site? Is that NR's call, the local council, the insurance companies, all of then or somewhere in between?

Not sure who's actual responsibility this is, but what I do know is that our contractor, in consultation with the local authority and the residents, is starting repair works there soon.

According to a well known Exeter driver on another forum there is a FGW HST (5c95) moving west in the early hours of friday morning.

Yes, there are a number of ECS positioning moves, to get both FGW and XC ready for the morning start of service.

• Like 1

Not sure who's actual responsibility this is, but what I do know is that our contractor, in consultation with the local authority and the residents, is starting repair works there soon.

Yes, there are a number of ECS positioning moves, to get both FGW and XC ready for the morning start of service.

Oh! Happy day!! Once again, well done to all involved and the hard work which has been undertaken to get the services back.
  • Like 1

A truly remarkable achievement by all who are involved. I can see Starcross and Dawlish Warren from my window across the estuary and at night you can see the tower lights where the work is happening. I will be using the line again to go and visit the girlfriend on a regular basis. Well done to all and a big thanks to 'Captain Kernow' for supplying us all with regular pictures, updates and all of the other things he has taken time to supply us with.

The 78 RPM single A side will be with CK singing along with the Orange Army the new hit song "I am a pasty eater" to the tune of "I an a cider drinker" by the Wurzels.  :music:  :music:  :music:

The other side is:

"I've got a brand new bright red spider thing..."

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So - thinking that further, if both are on time, they should cross each other in the vicinity of Dawlish...

Reference the Real time trains page, what I don't understand is, if the top two are greyed out but running, are the other greyed out ones running aswel?

Indeed, what does it mean if entries for trains are greyed out / less opaque?

Thanks Martyn.

Those containers - it's a shame they can't be cut up into small enough pieces and sold on a commemorative plaque, with all proceeds going behind the bar for all the orange army to have a well-deserved drink! I would happily pay for a piece of this historic event as long as it rewarded those responsible for the incredible effort.

And a question about the repair, specifically about 'glued ballast'. I thought the purpose of ballast was to allow drainage through the railway footprint, and also to dampen the noise and vibration created by metal on metal contact with a few hundred tons in weight? How does gluing the ballast affect this? I admit I know nothing of the process apart from the epoxy 'glue' used, but knowing that leads me to believe the ballast will effectively be turned into larger lumps instead of smallish rocks. Surely this would lessen the drainage due to less places for the water to sink through the ballast, and would cause problems in a place like Dawlish where water is a constant problem? The epoxy would effectively create a hydrophobic layer keeping the water above the ballast instead of allowing it to sink though and into subterranean drainage channels, or is there a solution to this engineered into the site that works with the epoxy to create controlled drainage?

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Those containers - it's a shame they can't be cut up into small enough pieces and sold on a commemorative plaque, with all proceeds going behind the bar for all the orange army to have a well-deserved drink! I would happily pay for a piece of this historic event as long as it rewarded those responsible for the incredible effort.

And a question about the repair, specifically about 'glued ballast'. I thought the purpose of ballast was to allow drainage through the railway footprint, and also to dampen the noise and vibration created by metal on metal contact with a few hundred tons in weight? How does gluing the ballast affect this? I admit I know nothing of the process apart from the epoxy 'glue' used, but knowing that leads me to believe the ballast will effectively be turned into larger lumps instead of smallish rocks. Surely this would lessen the drainage due to less places for the water to sink through the ballast, and would cause problems in a place like Dawlish where water is a constant problem? The epoxy would effectively create a hydrophobic layer keeping the water above the ballast instead of allowing it to sink though and into subterranean drainage channels, or is there a solution to this engineered into the site that works with the epoxy to create controlled drainage?

Mark

Thanks for the first paragraph!  :thankyou:

As regards to gluing the ballast, there are still enough voids between each piece to allow water to run through and drain away normally. Apart from looking like its wet when it isn't and the fact its practically solid, it hasn't really changed its drainage capabilities. The packing points, ie, 18 inches each side of the rail are not actually glued, just the 6 foot and shoulders! Oh.... and a little bit of the 4 foot too.

Edited by Gary H

With 3 hours to the first trains, the engineers are still out on track.

There is a road/rail vehicle on track too.

yes as just caught on the Dawlish beach live cam..

Be last minute checks I should think for safe running no left items about on track etc..

post-14408-0-70679300-1396552722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With 3 hours to the first trains, the engineers are still out on track.

There is a road/rail vehicle on track too.

A road/rail digger type thingy left Teignmouth towards the sea wall about 45 minutes ago

post-19606-0-77336300-1396553162_thumb.jpg

Edited by lightengine

Those are almost the same image, how close were we in getting a screen grab. (Edit referring to the 66)

Gary`s pics time pop-up of 20:11:14  and bottom left corner of your pic 20:12:18 - difference 37 seconds

edit: spelling & just seen mozzers post

Edited by yorkie_pudd