Washout at Dawlish

1 hour ago, locoholic said:

Does the strengthening of the Dawlish Sea Wall mean that train passengers will no longer be able to see the sea properly?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-48472901

No.

The length of work is between Dawlish Station and Kennaway tunnel ONLY. About 1/3rd of a mile. For this length it is possible the sea will still be visible, but not the beach. The  remainder of the sea wall is unaffected.

Edited by pb_devon
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 11 months later...

• RMweb Premium

Expensive and arguably ugly lifts rather than a simple ramped access to the down side (up side is already ramped access or could easily become so).  Either a planning issue or a fixed-in-concrete mindset.  Ramps don'g go out of service and need a fitter to fix them either.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

I note they will 'remove pigeon roosts' from under the down platform. That will definitely get rid of a lot of mess.

I have not walked along there for about 18 months, and when this current lock down is lifted I will enjoy a day out along the wall.

cheers

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Of note, it's also been pointed out on another forum that, Hidden as the last item on the consultation is demolition of the Coastguard’s Boathouse which is said to have been designed by Brunel himself. Though the boathouse is not listed, it is a positive building in the Conservation Area. 

Personally I'm not a fan of these new designs. While I can accept that something does need to be done about the sea & sea wall though the area, this does seem to include some rather over the top features. The bridge I feel is out of keeping with the station and surprisingly, for a place concerned about the weather, is open to the elements.  I'm not impressed by the height of the new "promenade" either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/05/2020 at 10:56, Gwiwer said:

Expensive and arguably ugly lifts rather than a simple ramped access to the down side (up side is already ramped access or could easily become so).  Either a planning issue or a fixed-in-concrete mindset.  Ramps don'g go out of service and need a fitter to fix them either.

Ramps have the problem of space required, so it may be a case of them not being viable, though only NR would know the reasoning.

17 hours ago, surfsup said:

Personally I'm not a fan of these new designs. While I can accept that something does need to be done about the sea & sea wall though the area, this does seem to include some rather over the top features. The bridge I feel is out of keeping with the station and surprisingly, for a place concerned about the weather, is open to the elements.  I'm not impressed by the height of the new "promenade" either. 

I agree that at least the computer image shows an open to the weather bridge which would seem to be ill advised - I could see disability groups / individuals filing court cases over the issue.

And while not necessarily a fan of the new promenade, I also acknowledge that I am (currently) an able bodied adult with no young children.  Extending the promenade to be effectively a single level with a comfortable width(*) for the entire length of the Dawlish area will I suspect in hindsight be viewed as a positive for Dawlish tourism as it makes using it that much more attractive not just to the disabled but to families with young kids.

But as Devon changes, and commuting to Exeter for jobs (hence the Devon Metro concept) becomes ever more a reality, the "quaint" images of the sea soaking the down side become more of an issue of being unacceptable.

* - and it may even be wide enough to allow proper social distancing if still required when finished, or again in the future at some point

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, mdvle said:

But as Devon changes, and commuting to Exeter for jobs (hence the Devon Metro concept) becomes ever more a reality, the "quaint" images of the sea soaking the down side become more of an issue of being unacceptable.

For those who live and work here this is much needed, whilst I agree it may be enjoyable for visitors ( and locals ) to admire it can make a vast difference between remaining quaint or moving into the future.

We can all live in the past and dream but the reality of it strikes home  when the line is closed due to bad weather and local commuters need to get to work. This can disrupt many of the local services which also leave commuters stranded or having to rearrange their day and become frustrated.

It is one of the most scenic railway journeys in the country, long may it continue to be so especially when going to or returning home in the knowledge that it will be possible in the future due to these proposals.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2020 at 17:51, bgman said:

For those who live and work here this is much needed, whilst I agree it may be enjoyable for visitors ( and locals ) to admire it can make a vast difference between remaining quaint or moving into the future.

We can all live in the past and dream but the reality of it strikes home  when the line is closed due to bad weather and local commuters need to get to work. This can disrupt many of the local services which also leave commuters stranded or having to rearrange their day and become frustrated.

It is one of the most scenic railway journeys in the country, long may it continue to be so especially when going to or returning home in the knowledge that it will be possible in the future due to these proposals.

I'm not at all unsympathetic to that view but I do find (and I'm talking very generally here, more than just the railways) that despite the good intentions and real practical benefits in many cases behind each measure and scheme the net result is a world I find ever more depressing to live in. Would I feel the same way if my circumstances were different (e.g. not able-bodied)? Who can ever say, although I do always at least try to think "if I was in that position how would I feel?" And don't forget "enjoyable" - the look and feel of your day to day surroundings - can have a very big impact on your state of mind and hence quality of life.

No doubt I'll get an earful for this.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

New video by someone who has flown their drone over the area.  Some trains pass by which help to give an idea of how big the wave walker is.

Second half of the video he goes down to view the completed new wall section between the station and the tunnel mouth, giving a good idea of how it should better protect the railway.

So having seen that went looking and found this video from August showing the new sea wall walkway on foot.  Despite all the concern prior to it being built I think it works out well - the "railing" doesn't really seem to block the view and it looks to provide a nice safe walkway that families can be comfortable walking along.  Comparing where this video starts - the gloomy section of walkway underneath the station platforms - I think the next segment of work will provide a much better experience overall for everyone who wants to walk along the coast as well as being more friendly to those with mobility issues.

With the caveat that I don't know if Network Rail changed things based on feedback, I think Network Rail deserves credit for creating something that while protecting the railway will likely be considered by the town one of the key attractions for tourists in 5 years when most have forgotten all the angst of the last year or so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few images of the wave walker in place alongside the station today. It's a big bit of kit, much larger than the platform used during the 2014 rebuild of the seawall. Also showing the temporary 'container wall' alongside the Dawlish Water outflow - not quite sure what this is for

IMG_0716.JPG.e59deaf1ac8964da531410dc989eb0d5.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG.a910ab3befb410767d916cd520984454.JPG

A class 150/143 combo departing for Paignton, viewed form the stone pier

IMG_0725.JPG.3c6d3a0cf2f2acfa0f54c3a3d21dfab3.JPG

A couple of images of the completed walkway between the station and Kennaway Tunnel. Sadly there are metal railings being installed alongside the pathway so the view of trains is impaired; not sure how things look from the trains though.

IMG_0729.JPG.453500192c3450a550ce77d6dcad8ba5.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG.32b7ea5fed5125a0c98a6fdfa48ec264.JPG

Obviously the walkway alongside/under the station platforms  is now blocked off, but the path from the station access up towards the road allows a good viewpoint across the station carpark

IMG_0711.JPG.59076b190026332535848d8bf0c39915.JPGIMG_0711.JPG.59076b190026332535848d8bf0c39915.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG.0018620f50aa1a2924c5adb52f497e19.JPG

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With all this work that has been done the track still gets problems when stormy as today.

Trains are running "wrong line" between Dawlish Warren & Teignmouth as the seaward (down) line is considered blocked.

Causing a bit a backlog of trains.:(

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Trains are running "wrong line" between Dawlish Warren & Teignmouth as the seaward (down) line is considered blocked.

Apparently the weather has caused s signal to lean at a jaunty angle.  Both lines were blocked for a time until bi-directional working could be safely established over the Up road.  That requires XC services to be terminated at / started from Exeter and a few other alterations to permit up to three trains each way each hour along the sea wall. 

I saw posts on the antisocial media calling for the immediate reopening of the inland (LSWR) route, perhaps predictably, but these always overlook the practical realities not least the continued need to serve Torbay and the coastal towns.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Apparently the weather has caused s signal to lean at a jaunty angle.  Both lines were blocked for a time until bi-directional working could be safely established over the Up road.  That requires XC services to be terminated at / started from Exeter and a few other alterations to permit up to three trains each way each hour along the sea wall. 

I saw posts on the antisocial media calling for the immediate reopening of the inland (LSWR) route, perhaps predictably, but these always overlook the practical realities not least the continued need to serve Torbay and the coastal towns.  

Cross Country trains are still running in both directions along the sea wall but the signallers are queueing the trains and sending them two or three in sequence each way between Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren, there are less signals controlling the bi directional working and trains travelling south are running a lot slower in that direction.

• Informative/Useful 6