Class 40 Pics and detail differences in the class.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my not very large collection of class 40s. Max Fowler

show015.jpg.2e619a30778ede516cf87d6ad0bed165.jpg

On the East Coast Mainline near Gransthouse heading north. Think the train was from Haverton Hill

show017.jpg.41586108f61e9c788aed44ad740452f7.jpg

Different engine but same location as above and looks likely the same working but with a lighter load?

show020.jpg.3a7fb56edab5e47716526d55a614ccc3.jpg

Running along the recently opened Pemanshiel Tunnel diversion with empties presumably for gas pipes?

img555.jpg.a3258a3ae61fc0e491524f1b05da32df.jpg

40 119 awaits its end at Swindon Works

show074.jpg.575bda8f0ca4c4730e079e760612fd2d.jpg

An unidentified loco runs through Cumbernauld with a Sunday diverted Glasgow Queen St to Aberdeen service

img318.jpg.48f419924b7e773b3f04efbac367b6ed.jpg

Another undidentified 40 has just past Greenhill Lower Jcn and takes the Cumbernauld line with a Sunday diverted Aberdeen to Glasgow Queen St working.

• Like 11

Late 1970's cheap hand me down plastic camera 110 prints :lol: From Springs Branch. Wigan. Inc' 08 130, 40 082, 40 022. 40 019. 40 016 passing. Note piles of coal used for the old steam crane heaped up against the new shed.

1-3-2018_01240 (4).jpg

1-3-2018_01440 (3).jpg

1-3-2018_00540.jpg

1-3-2018_02440.jpg440.jpg40c.jpg

1-3-2018_03340 (2).jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That must be 79 , it's been repainted.

I preferred it when it looked properly decrepit, it used to turn up from time to time on the Dewsnap trips

I once cycled from Didsbury to Dewsnap to have a look at the sidings, only to find out that they had been lifted a few years earlier. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

I once cycled from Didsbury to Dewsnap to have a look at the sidings, only to find out that they had been lifted a few years earlier. :rolleyes:

I never actually saw Dewsnap - and the only time I went past was in the 90s so long long gone.

I was a terrible trainspotter - I didn't do Trafford Park when it was full of track, I didn't venture down to Hadfield by train - but would happily go to Crewe or York at 11 or 12.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I never actually saw Dewsnap - and the only time I went past was in the 90s so long long gone.

I was a terrible trainspotter - I didn't do Trafford Park when it was full of track, 

Ditto. In fact there are some many lines just in the Manchester area alone that I wished I'd visited, including those that have closed such as that to the Chaddington Coal Depot or Red Bank.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Ditto. In fact there are some many lines just in the Manchester area alone that I wished I'd visited, including those that have closed such as that to the Chaddington Coal Depot or Red Bank.

Lol - standing on the end of the platform at Victoria every Saturday watching the ECS moves plus the Bradford BRCW 110s coming off the route and never thinking, "maybe I'll take a trip to Bradford, see Castleton, Halifax and Red Bank sidings."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

If you want to date this picture just look at that young man's trousers.

Going large

Or you could just click on the picture and the see the date the photographer took the original Flickr image. :wink_mini:

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Lol - standing on the end of the platform at Victoria every Saturday watching the ECS moves plus the Bradford BRCW 110s coming off the route and never thinking, "maybe I'll take a trip to Bradford, see Castleton, Halifax and Red Bank sidings."

North Manchester was like a different world to me. I’ve only been to Newton Heath once and there are still several towns in the north of Greater Manchester I’ve never even been to! Favourite spotting locations were typically Victoria, Piccadilly, Longsight, Stockport and Cheadle Hulme. Further afield the likes of Preston, Warrington, Crewe, Sheffield, Leeds and York together with Scotland and the south east on holidays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim76 said:

North Manchester was like a different world to me. I’ve only been to Newton Heath once and there are still several towns in the north of Greater Manchester I’ve never even been to! Favourite spotting locations were typically Victoria, Piccadilly, Longsight, Stockport and Cheadle Hulme. Further afield the likes of Preston, Warrington, Crewe, Sheffield, Leeds and York together with Scotland and the south east on holidays.

Me and a mate went to Newton Heath once - on a bus - there was a route from where I lived there, we found the shed, didn't get around and then couldn't find the bus stop to get back.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 16/05/2020 at 13:50, woodenhead said:

I was a terrible trainspotter - I didn't do Trafford Park when it was full of track, I didn't venture down to Hadfield by train - but would happily go to Crewe or York at 11 or 12.

Me too, for some reason although Manchester based never went to Wigan or Warrington but would go to Crewe, York, Sheffield and Chesterfield. Glad I did Sheffield as I did get to Tinsley and see the hump and the 13's on two occasions. However, I wasn't allowed to do so on my own until 13.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...