Class 40 Pics and detail differences in the class.

13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

40005 Northenden 1982

40055 at Northenden Cement - 1982

It's not 40005 as that was long withdrawn by 1982, plus it's got bonnet handrails.

Flickr link shows it's 40055, not that it matters of course.

Edited by tinsley-toton
Edit: Flickr link shows it's 40055, not that it matters of course.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

02Jul75. Wakefield Kirkgate. EE Class 40 40039 (Ex D239). [Slide_A018]

A classic from Mr_Western on Flikr. A rare photo of 40039 a few months prior to withdrawal. TOPS green. Not too many around of this beast (other than in bits at Crewe) 

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Traveled all the way to Ayr from the Manchester area behind 40 019 on a Sunday Merrymaker trip. Seen here stabled on the depot waiting for our return home. no exact date only it was 1980. A cross eyed 40 comes down the bank into Man' Vic' in Dec' 1981

DSC09577 (2).JPG

DSC09579 (2).JPG

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Apologies for the cropped image, c/o John Groocock : a rare shot of 40 009 at New Bilton Sidings in Rugby in 1982....

RY 1982 JOHN GROOCOCK NEW BILTON 40 009.jpg

Great photo Nidge. They the gates across Parkfield Road? There certainly aren't that many photos around of that location! 40009.........Crewe - Holyhead relief in Aug 83'. The last of the vac 40's.......one would say back in the day.....a beast.

Regards 

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Like 1

Yes Guy, Parkfield Road LC, below is the last pic I took of its remains back in 2006 before the new flat road junction and traffic lights obliterated it for good.... apparently 40 009 wasn't supposed to be used on that New Bilton tripper that day, 40s were forbidden from the sidings but there was no 08 or 25 available so the crew just used their initiative....!

RY Rugby Cement Works LC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

Apologies if already raised but does anybody why 40182 has a blue line under her number in this  Sep 77 viewat Birkenhead depot. A John Williams photo.

cheers

NR

It was to indicate that the loco had received the traction motor strengthening modification. However by the date of this photo the need to indicate this to maintenance staff was long past.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

One from 17th September, an unidentified 40 at Prestatyn.  Looks like a bit of a repaint on the front nearside.

1983R103.JPG.ae4d611619da82193e0291e98e47288d.JPG

40126.........see various Flickr photos. One of my favourite 40's, lovely shot thanks for posting.

Regards

Guy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 10:14, Owd Bob said:

Traveled all the way to Ayr from the Manchester area behind 40 019 on a Sunday Merrymaker trip. Seen here stabled on the depot waiting for our return home. no exact date only it was 1980. A cross eyed 40 comes down the bank into Man' Vic' in Dec' 1981

DSC09577 (2).JPG

DSC09579 (2).JPG

Wherever the second one is, it isn't Man Vic, with all that knitting around. I've a feeling that's Edgeley Junction, Stockport

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Front end of 40106 at SVR yesterday. Modellers beware things may have changed since BR days ... but not the air pipes, see below! 

6CFF6483-59B4-43DA-9172-47B25252943F.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not seeing any extra pipes, but does seem to have lost the (air) brake cock and pipe (red fitting remains above the steam pipe though) - does it run as vacuum brake only?

From under the left buffer you have:

control air pipe, main reservoir, control jumper socket, vacuum brake, steam heat, jumper cable, main reservoir, control air.

Even in the '50s a lot of the diesels had main reservoir pipes even though they were vac. brake only. I think they were used when in multiple along with the control air pipes. When hauling a train, only the vacuum bag would be used.

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, keefer said:

Not seeing any extra pipes, but does seem to have lost the (air) brake cock and pipe (red fitting remains above the steam pipe though) - does it run as vacuum brake only?

control air pipe, main reservoir, control jumper socket, vacuum brake, steam heat, jumper cable, main reservoir, control air.

Even in the '50s a lot of the diesels had main reservoir pipes even though they were vac. brake only. I think they were used when in multiple along with the control air pipes. When hauling a train, only the vacuum bag would be used.

She is and always was vacuum only. I've not seen photos of '106 in service or otherwise with train air pipe fitted above her steam pipe. Wouldn't a bogie swap with an air braked sister at some time in her life leave the cast fitting visible?.....although obviously redundant.

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, keefer said:

22 minutes ago, balders said:

She is and always was vacuum only. I've not seen photos of '106 in service or otherwise with train air pipe fitted above her steam pipe. Wouldn't a bogie swap with an air braked sister at some time in her life leave the cast fitting visible?.....although obviously redundant.

Regards

Guy

Thanks for the clarification gents.... we are missing one pipe either side on our models then! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, balders said:

Regards

Guy

Thanks Guy, I didn't know that about 106 - I knew about 009 and thought that was the last vac. only one.

Bogie swap from an air-braked loco makes sense.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it must've been a relatively recent thing but here she is, looking very scabby, in 1978 and the fitting is present. Unless they were fitted with the piping etc. in readiness for dual-braking, which for whatever reason, didn't happen

Weather-beaten

By Thomas Harper on Flickr

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Presumably given that bogies were a problem area swaps were frequent at works visits. Bogie from DB loco put on VB loco,  Pipe would have to be removed to prevent confusion I guess...