Class 40 Pics and detail differences in the class.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a definitive record of when these behemoths were repainted into blue, received yellow panels, received full yellow ends please?

I'm looking for D352's livery in May 1964. I'm pretty sure she will have still been green, but would any yellow panels/ends have been applied by then?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

55 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Is there a definitive record of when these behemoths were repainted into blue, received yellow panels, received full yellow ends please?

I'm looking for D352's livery in May 1964. I'm pretty sure she will have still been green, but would any yellow panels/ends have been applied by then?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

GSYP when involved in accident and repaired at Crewe during 1965.  In traffic during July 1968 in GFYE, probably applied at depot during '67.  Almost 150% certain it was running in GSYP condition throughout '64.

Russ Saxton's list is on the site somewhere - have a look in the Transition Diesels zone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

GSYP when involved in accident and repaired at Crewe during 1965.  In traffic during July 1968 in GFYE, probably applied at depot during '67.  Almost 150% certain it was running in GSYP condition throughout '64.

Russ Saxton's list is on the site somewhere - have a look in the Transition Diesels zone!

Thank you very much, 'CHARD. Will look for that list.

Mark

Springs Branch 1981. I'm hoping that this centre head code box class 40's number might be recognised by someone by the fittings and bar on the front end? I'm just thinking and planning ahead for what number i would pick for an 'O' gauge Heljan version i'd like to own.

1-3-2018_01540 (2).jpg

1-3-2018_01540 (3).jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, no worries it's just that i'd noticed a lot had bent ended round bar hand rails, and not a lot in any of my own pics' had these brackets on the ends. I'll go through my cl.40 pics' again and make a list of any numbers i can see with these brackets.:)

On 23/12/2019 at 18:09, royaloak said:

It averaged about 4 or 5 years between general overhauls, subject to major failures etc not necessitating earlier shopping, so it would be possible.

I found a lot of pics of 40 010 on the internet, today. It looks like it did get an overhaul in about 1980 as after this date it had shiny paint, smaller double arrows, no frost shields and no boiler tanks between the bogies.

Dave

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Thanks Brian, no worries it's just that i'd noticed a lot had bent ended round bar hand rails, and not a lot in any of my own pics' had these brackets on the ends. I'll go through my cl.40 pics' again and make a list of any numbers i can see with these brackets.:)

I think 171, 174 and 182 had the cable hole from working the Royal Train, so they can be excluded from Brian's range.

• Thanks 1

I have three possibles in my pics' but no paint scrapes on those three 40's, which are 170, 178, 181. If it helps i spotted a pic' of 40 065 at Reddish depot in '82-ish with a centre head code box but no hand rail above it, and an obvious lower cab body front bottom edge where the connecting doors once where. I did'nt see the i assume local youth inside until the pics' came back from Truprint :lol: 

1-5-2018_125_(2).JPG

Edited by Owd Bob
spelling

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

I have three possibles in my pics' but no paint scrapes on those three 40's, which are 170, 178, 181. If it helps i spotted a pic' of 40 065 at Reddish depot in '82-ish with a centre head code box but no hand rail above it, and an obvious lower cab body front bottom edge where the connecting doors once where. I did'nt see the i assume local youth inside until the pics' came back from Truprint :lol: 

1-5-2018_125_(2).JPG

How about this one?

40157.JPG.17fdb9216fc4f43cdf199eeef34856db.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Springs Branch 1981. I'm hoping that this centre head code box class 40's number might be recognised by someone by the fittings and bar on the front end? I'm just thinking and planning ahead for what number i would pick for an 'O' gauge Heljan version i'd like to own.

1-3-2018_01540 (2).jpg

1-3-2018_01540 (3).jpg

Different heights for the OHLE flashes as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Stovepipe that looks like the right one, with a dent in the right place and now painted over and has Royal Oak says a lower OLE flash, great work everyone. 40 172 was  always around SP around the early '80's. Here's another unknown number seen at Guide Bridge in 1981 with the end doors dented inwards, and a few pics' more for detailing if it helps. 40 178 faces 40 171 at SP in 1981. 40 055 with fading Yellow end and stripes of White showing through at Guide Bridge 1981.

1-3-2018_13040.jpg

1-2-2018_01340.jpg

1-3-2018_1294055.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Thanks Stovepipe that looks like the right one, with a dent in the right place and now painted over and has Royal Oak says a lower OLE flash, great work everyone. 40 172 was  always around SP around the early '80's. Here's another unknown number seen at Guide Bridge in 1981 with the end doors dented inwards, and a few pics' more for detailing if it helps. 40 178 faces 40 171 at SP in 1981. 40 055 with fading Yellow end and stripes of White showing through at Guide Bridge 1981.

1-3-2018_13040.jpg

This is much more difficult, basically a dual-braked, steam-heated, multiple working fitted, disc headcode loco, but not one of the first 10 locos, which leaves about 50 or so possibilities.

Do you have an exact date?