• RMweb Premium

Two questions.

Has anyone got pictures of the wooden station buildings?

There where two basic types from what I can tell from looking on the internet. Which I believe to be 50 & 70 feet in length. Each side of the triangle had a small and a long building. The Keighley-Bradford and Keighley-Halifax sides had the longer buildings on the inside of the triangle and both large and small buildings appear identical.

The Bradford- Halifax side however had the longer building on the outside and from what I can tell the two buildings there were a mirror image of the others.

Can anyone confirm this?

My next Question is the colour. I'm presuming that Queensbury received a coat of paint after the second world war along with all other LNER stations. This should have been Green and cream. Cream paneling above waist height and green below was normal. Would the window frames have been green also. They don't appear to be white in any of the pictures. 

The station closed to passengers in 1955 and I doubt BR ever sent the painters in, so confirmation again please?

One thing for sure is grime seems to dominate.

Same for the signal box (only the East box remained after the war) which looks like brown to me in black and white pics but it's green, right?

Edit: One last thing. When did the awnings get taken down?

Any information would be ggggggrrrrreat!!

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you for taking the time to post me those links.

Very handy the viaduct details are great. I'm itching to build it but must wait until the layout boards are constructed.

Regards Shaun.   

• RMweb Premium

On the lost railways site I have noticed a ground cabin that has eluded my failing eyesight. This stood opposite the north junction signal box which isn't in pictures from 1934!

And there's that Gresley twin set with the 5comp bk third again.

• RMweb Premium

Such a big station in the middle of great countryside too.

It will fit in perfectly as the entrance to the fiddle yard creating a double return loop into Queensbury tunnel. I need to compress it  but am not shy of using 2' rad curves off scene.

I've plans to build N1s &J50s too!

• RMweb Premium

Three more links. The first hand account from one of the signal men in the above link is great reading!

http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2h.html

http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2i.html

http://www.queensburyrailway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/2k.html

Am not too excited at the thought of making all those window glazing bars on the platform buildings.

• RMweb Premium

Despite being aware of the ‘Queensbury’ routes, having often contemplated the route at Keighley when visiting the KWVR, I had never actually seen photos of Queensbury station before.  What a fantastic setting, especially with that rope-worked waggonway too.

It would indeed make a fantastic model, but triangular stations take an awful lot of space, as your plan shows.  You’re lucky to have the room!

Makes a change from Keddie Wye….(non US modellers will have to Google that one!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here is Queensbury East Junction signal box.

post-8964-0-74965900-1394083083_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-98813100-1394083102_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-95524600-1394083120_thumb.jpg

With scratch built lever frame. Points set for Keighley-Bradford though working to correspond with the continuous loop on my layout plan and a Halifax-Keighley train.

post-8964-0-45130500-1394083144_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Interested as I'm inspired by North Bridge station further down the line. Basically because I bought a house very near it & had no idea there was ever a station there.  Originally a joint L&Y & GN line with some L&Y input. The Mileposts were L&Y. Not sure just how far to go with GN on my Model. But plan to use some of the buildings. I'm modelling in 7mm scale so don't have a lot of room to play with. No chance to model North bridge in the space I have. But the overbridge & tunnel mouth just past the platform end are perfect. Queensbury is just up the road from me. I've just ordered an old ordanance survey map from ebay of North bridge station. I bet you can get one for Queensbury. Will give you the track plan & surrounding buildings at 1890 or 1902. Costs about £4. The online versions I found were too low resolution to be of any use. Aerial photos also not very helpful for the same reason. Look forward to you making a start on this. 

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with North Bridge.

This link has good maps. http://maps.nls.uk/view/100946993#zoom=6&lat=5048&lon=4935&layers=BT

Thanks for posting as I had totally forgotten about this thread. Mainly because I'm trying to consolidate everything on one thread as it's going to be part of the huge last great project.

How ever I have made the main station building and believe it or not the track arrived via DHL this morning!

It's scribed card with scratch built windows. If only I could find a couple of GNR footbridge kits by D&S. Dream on...............

post-8964-0-47957600-1411770609.jpg

post-8964-0-28961900-1411770618.jpg

post-8964-0-36481200-1411770628.jpg

post-8964-0-81774200-1411770640.jpg

Thanks for the links to the maps. Sadly there don't seem to be any detailed maps of North Bridge. Mostly hopeless. It's a amazing to me that a sizeable station & goods yard could be so much taken for granted that it was never properly recorded. I can find only half a dozen photographs from different time period. Holmfield  & Queensbury have faired better! Probably why I have never seen a model of North Bridge station!

Archived